Texas Redbud tree.......

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
The story about this young Texas Redbud......

I had planted this young Texas Redbud back in 2018. My wife and I purchased it at a place located just right outside of Fredericksburg TX ( Wine country) called WildSeed.

When I first planted it, it started very well in growth and had survived the brutal summers as well as that drastic week of cold bone chilling big freezing weather that we experienced down here in Texas back in Feb. 2021.

Anyway....it was growing good but then around this past August I started to noticed the leaf's starting die out and fall as well as the tree starting to go limp?

After a close inspection....well the poor tree was infested with some sort of insects (looked like ants ? but really wasn't sure) well afterwards the tree quickly took a dive for the worst!

I tried what I could to try and save it because we really like the way it blooms in the spring time but it just wouldn't recover.

I had enough of seeing it suffer and decided to dig it up and remove it entirely but then noticed a small sprouting branch ? or maybe a new tree growth ? from the base of the tree's trunk!

So I then decided to see if just maybe I could somehow, someway I could save it. So I just cut the small tree down right above where the young sprout started at the base of the tree's trunk and re-pot it and see if by some chance or miracle that it would survive and grow into a new young tree again?

Well here we are in November and well it's still hanging on!

I've decided on leaving it potted and see if it'll grow even bigger and if so then just maybe by next Spring I'll replant it and see what happens?

Here are some picture's starting from it's begging insect infestation saga to it's current status.

Texas Redbud Tree ii.jpegTexas Redbud Tree iii.jpegTexas Redbud Tree iv.jpegTexas Redbud Tree v.jpegTexas Redbud Tree vi.jpegTexas Redbud Tree vii.jpegTexas Redbud tree sprounting new branch?.jpegTexas Redbud tree sprounting new branch? ii.jpegTexas Redbud tree sprounting new branch? ii.jpegTexas Redbud tree sprounting new branch? iii.jpeg

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is what a fully grown Texas Redbud tree normally should look like during Spring.
(I'm surprised that nobody has attempted to try to create a bonsai out of a Texas Redbud?)

Texas Redbud Tree viii.jpeg
(

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has been tried many times over the years. Research a bit and it will come up in Austin Bonsai Society pages, etc. The fact that there really are not many redbud bonsai out there (anyone got one) tells me that it's not an easy tree to work.

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
It has been tried many times over the years. Research a bit and it will come up in Austin Bonsai Society pages, etc. The fact that there really are not many redbud bonsai out there (anyone got one) tells me that it's not an easy tree to work.
Well I guess that sum's it all up.

Thanks for posting and sharing. 👍

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one:

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
This Texas Redbud bonsai is beautiful! 👍

Thanks for posting and sharing the link rockm!

Texas Redbud bonsai tree!.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Texas Redbud bonsai is beautiful! 👍

Thanks for posting and sharing the link rockm!

View attachment 407755
Worth noting it was begun using an already containerized nursery plant. I have heard they can be touchy about roots when collecting. Already containerized roots eliminate that issue, mostly

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've found that eastern redbud tends to produce a large tap root and can be tricky to dig/move/collect. I've had some success by "prepping" the roots by cutting around the root mass in the fall (including under to get the tap root if possible) before digging in spring. It seems if you dig one relatively young and eliminate the tap root, you can then develop it in the ground with periodic root work to keep the root system under control. I've got one that I've been treating this way for a number of years, I'm probably going to try digging it in the spring. It has gotten a lot larger than I had intended and might be too big for me to handle...not sure if Texas redbud behaves similarly.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trunk of original tree appears Sun burned. By chance this side facing south? Seems very bad idea to pot in Fall then again in Spring. Please give tree chance to recover at least to Spring 2023 if survival happens in 2022. Also somewhat less hot afternoon Sun:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom