Texas sage

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Got this Texas sage yesterday. today it’s in a training pot after root & branch pruning. Will let it recover in the shade.

Attachments

• A21D362D-D3BF-4037-9910-A19344F81007.jpeg
    A21D362D-D3BF-4037-9910-A19344F81007.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 37BCF571-AEF4-4EFF-BFB6-1A6CAE9F7AF6.jpeg
    37BCF571-AEF4-4EFF-BFB6-1A6CAE9F7AF6.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 46
  • A535509D-099E-43FA-8A8E-40663B78BEC5.jpeg
    A535509D-099E-43FA-8A8E-40663B78BEC5.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 45

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it. Keep us posted. There are innumerable woody shrubs growing here in Colorado, and I'm hoping to find something like this.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It is having a hard time now. Several of my new plants are not doing good. I learned that the start of summer here is not the time to trim & put in smaller pot.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You got me thinking more that shrubs like this are conspicuously missing from my own experiments, and now I want to go dig up some of the white sage that grows in these parts. Fun and food!
What's your experience with these sorts of shrubs? Any tips for beginners?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m a beginner! This was a nursery plant. Mine is still alive but not growing. Hot & repotting do not mix.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not growing is allot better than growing backwards.
I've heard from anecdotal sources that some hot climate and desert plants are actually semi-dormant for much of the summer, and grow mostly in the fall and spring when the weather is less harsh. No clue how accurate it is, but something to think on maybe.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot and repotting do not mix for desert dwellers. @Arizona bonsai in working with desert trees it has been my experience that they do not appreciate having too much root work done at any time especially in summer. That is one of the things we need to do more research on if we want to start developing desert dwelling bonsai species. Those that do have more experience with them are not writing about it so it is hard to find information on particular trees. Some young guy like @ack who is an up and comer in the southwestern bonsai world needs to research and write a book about their experiences with desert species.

ack

Seedling
Reaction score
Hot and repotting do not mix for desert dwellers. @Arizona bonsai in working with desert trees it has been my experience that they do not appreciate having too much root work done at any time especially in summer. That is one of the things we need to do more research on if we want to start developing desert dwelling bonsai species. Those that do have more experience with them are not writing about it so it is hard to find information on particular trees. Some young guy like @ack who is an up and comer in the southwestern bonsai world needs to research and write a book about their experiences with desert species.

Haha, I haven't worked too much desert species yet. I've been curious about sage brush, my parents have a bunch in their yard in California with interesting trunks that I've been eyeing. Ryan Neil did a live stream on one a couple months back, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Top Bottom