texas scarlet quince waking up

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a texas scarlet quince that is starting to wake up and it has a few (the buds look like they're just beginning to break and have pushed out less than 5 leaves) leaves on it. Right now it's about 20-30 degrees F outside and in the next week the nightly lows are going to be as low as 10 one night. It is currently inside a garage with no light and buried under some mulch. I could bring it outside and put it under my bonsai bench outside that is covered with a somewhat clear plastic tarp and hope that it doesn't mind the low 10 degree temps for one or two nights? Or I could set it outside only during the day and bring it inside for the nights where the temps get below 20 degrees?

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I've just started to do outdoor bonsai and so my tropicals have never had to deal with this. I think my kiyohime is going to wake up next, but the quince beat it this year

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep your tree protected until truly moderate temperatures return. When you put your tree outside, often this early growth will be replaced by new leaves and shoots. This is typical for quince. Texas Scarlet is a tough variety of quince, but I wouldn't put it outside until the lows are in the 40 degree range.

Top Bottom