Thank you Mr. Nut!! Can we have a Dislike Button??

johng

Omono
Reaction score
For all the times newbies get on here and offer bad advise to other newbies...

It just makes sense...we can "like" a post...we should be able to dislike a post.

I doubt there is an option for that but it might serve a far better purpose than liking posts...

John

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

It just makes sense...we can "like" a post...we should be able to dislike a post.

I doubt there is an option for that but it might serve a far better purpose than liking posts...

John
Haha, this is the most requested feature on Facebook, but they'll never do it.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I hope I haven't offered anyone bad advice. I try not to give any. Instead, I share some of my experience. Please let me know, anybody, if I do!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I hope I haven't offered anyone bad advice. I try not to give any. Instead, I share some of my experience. Please let me know, anybody, if I do!
not at all.... but many others do on a daily basis. It seems a never ending cue of people with zero experience offering advice...as soon as one figures it out there are 3 more in line to take their place...

A dislike button won't fix the problem (it's the people that are broken) but it might give the receivers of the bad advice a heads up that something might be awry with a particular post.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
not at all.... but many others do on a daily basis. It seems a never ending cue of people with zero experience offering advice...as soon as one figures it out there are 3 more in line to take their place...
A dislike button won't fix the problem (it's the people that are broken) but it might give the receivers of the bad advice a heads up that something might be awry with a particular post.
There are some systems that allow other users to "up vote" or "down vote" comments or reviews, having an effect on what order they show up in; not sure that particular implementation would work on a forum (since chronological order is important), but I totally see where you're coming from, and it's worth putting some thought into.
Imagine though if everyone just hit "dislike" on every newbie stick-in-a-pot post; that might even be worse than our current welcome wagon ;)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
John, I like the concept in theory... On YouTube, they tally "thumbs ups" as well as "thumbs down".

Perhaps a simple reply of a "thumbs down" icon would serve the same purpose? The problem is, of course, the newbie doesn't realize they're giving bad advice. Some explanation is warranted.

Alas... There is a lot of "misinformation" about bonsai that gets spread by those who don't know any better.

I really don't know of a good way distinguish a poster from being a sensei or noob until they have posted a lot of responses. The status the forum gives is merely a post count, nothing about quality.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know, I see potential for abuse if you add "dislike" buttons or "thumbs down" buttons. Most of the really bad advice here gets corrected by someone.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know, I see potential for abuse if you add "dislike" buttons or "thumbs down" buttons. Most of the really bad advice here gets corrected by someone.

Bah...How bad could it be??? Especially if similar to the "like" option, your username is posted...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just don't think it's necessary. As I said, most of the really bad info gets ferreted out. There is a lot of "grey area" stuff (soils and fertilizer for example) where just because some "expert" doesn't like it (and maybe clicks the dislike button), doesn't mean it's wrong.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

John
We already had that here once. It got abused by people that use the forum as a personal agenda forum. It was called reputation and it was based on an algorithm much like eBay was where one bad buyer can set your reputation as seller back. In other words one bad feedback can ruin a whole year of great transactions. Just do what needs to be done and call BS what it is. I recently asked someone to quote where I had run down his tree as he had posted I did. All was fixed. Truth always trumps bull shit. It's just not always tasty if you know what I mean.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
We already had that here once. It got abused by people that use the forum as a personal agenda forum. It was called reputation and it was based on an algorithm much like eBay was where one bad buyer can set your reputation as seller back. In other words one bad feedback can ruin a whole year of great transactions. Just do what needs to be done and call BS what it is. I recently asked someone to quote where I had run down his tree as he had posted I did. All was fixed. Truth always trumps bull shit. It's just not always tasty if you know what I mean.

We don't need all that nonsense...just a dislike button with a username attached! Besides...I have been here since Fall of 07, just a few months after the debut of Bnut, and do not recall such a feature...perhaps a different forum??

Remember BNut1.0... You saw the username, the post count, and the number of likes... In general, if you added a dislikes to that summary it would be far easier for anyone to determine how much weight to apply to any response...

I encourage you to look at the likes section of the members tab...pretty useless information if you don't know the people....For those of us that know the users well, I think it is easy to recognize that there are several names that really haven't contributed anything but dribble to conversations here... a dislike button could easily rectify this misinformation...

Of course a dislike button could be misused...just as the like button is currently often misused...

Common on guys!! This is a public forum, as I have been told on more than one occasion, and as such ALL INFORMATION is subject to feedback....good and bad. Shouldn't the ability to dislike something be just as important as the ability to like something???

AS of today I am boycotting the like button until I have equal access to a dislike button!! That should bring about fast and effective change!!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would think it would be much more effective if you thought that some one said something that you disagreed with to just let them know and tell them your opinion on it...

Then your letting them know why you disagree and hopefully teaching them at the same time.

If people are just going around to post's and hitting a dislike button it's just makings people feel shitty or pissed and nobody is larning any thing

A like button is positive ... makes people feel good and encourages them ... A dislike button doesn't. ..

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We don't need all that nonsense...just a dislike button with a username attached! Besides...I have been here since Fall of 07, just a few months after the debut of Bnut, and do not recall such a feature...perhaps a different forum??

Remember BNut1.0... You saw the username, the post count, and the number of likes... In general, if you added a dislikes to that summary it would be far easier for anyone to determine how much weight to apply to any response...

I encourage you to look at the likes section of the members tab...pretty useless information if you don't know the people....For those of us that know the users well, I think it is easy to recognize that there are several names that really haven't contributed anything but dribble to conversations here... a dislike button could easily rectify this misinformation...

Of course a dislike button could be misused...just as the like button is currently often misused...

Common on guys!! This is a public forum, as I have been told on more than one occasion, and as such ALL INFORMATION is subject to feedback....good and bad. Shouldn't the ability to dislike something be just as important as the ability to like something???

AS of today I am boycotting the like button until I have equal access to a dislike button!! That should bring about fast and effective change!!
Your right, it was at bonsaiTALK. My apologies. What would be the force to make change? There is no moderation here now. Would you propose banning those that have say ten dislikes in 30 days? I have a lot of likes and people still think I'm an ass. What's the point?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Your right, it was at bonsaiTALK. My apologies. What would be the force to make change? There is no moderation here now. Would you propose banning those that have say ten dislikes in 30 days? I have a lot of likes and people still think I'm an ass. What's the point?

No banning... Knowing this crowd more than a few will be proud of their dislike status!

The point is this is a public forum...we all know that means you have to take the good with the bad! Right??

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No banning... Knowing this crowd more than a few will be proud of their dislike status!

The point is this is a public forum...we all know that means you have to take the good with the bad! Right??
I think you are misjudging the forums ability to read BS from substance. I have a blog with quality information and I have complete control of comments and who does it. My traffic is about 150 a day with about 75 percent coming from around the world. Maybe that's the ticket.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you are misjudging the forums ability to read BS from substance. I have a blog with quality information and I have complete control of comments and who does it. My traffic is about 150 a day with about 75 percent coming from around the world. Maybe that's the ticket.
You have complete control?... so if you don't agree with what there saying it doesn't get posted..?. I feel like people wouldn't be larning much that way... only what agree with...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You have complete control?... so if you don't agree with what there saying it doesn't get posted..?. I feel like people wouldn't be larning much that way... only what agree with...
A decade ago, well known bonsai artists/professionals from around the world would post here and in other bonsai forums every day. Now, only a select few like Walter Pall and Bill Valavanis bother to post on any of the forums, and it's sporadic at best. I won't speak for all of them, but I do know that many left the forums and moved to blogs due to, in part, arguments and disagreements with less experienced practitioners. In the end, it was too much to deal with so they left. Our loss, I'd say, but I sure can't blame them for doing so.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just think you guys could find a more positive way to do something like that then a dis like button or booting people because you disagree with them. Just like any other art there's meany way to do bonsai's and not every one will agree. ..

And if you don't like what there saying let them know in a nice supporting way and leave it at that... don't look at the post agen if you don't like it.

Top Bottom