Thanksgiving 2020

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So last night I found out our family Thanksgiving was not going to happen. I almost started this thread this morning, being mad/sad at what a sucky situation this was and how unfair. We don't have a big family. My sister, her husband, their two kids and her daughters new husband. My husband my son and myself and my brother and his newly discovered daughter. We've lost more members than we have gained, one child and both of our parents. My sister always does Thanksgiving and invites her in-laws and brother-law, his wife and daughter. Still not a huge group, so hoping we could still get together. But, my sister has COVID. She is a PT at a nursing home and despite full PPE, she got it. She is doing OK, no serious symptoms and so far her son and husband are OK. I am very thankful they are doing OK, but honestly selfishly mad that we couldn't get together. Then this afternoon my husband called and said the driver he usually meets to swap trailers (he is a truck driver) was out because his son's house burnt to the ground. Serious reality check for me, and very humbling. So the three of us will have Thanksgiving dinner and be thankful for all the blessings we have and hopefully next year will be better for all. Wishing you all a happy, healthy Thanksgiving, although it may be not what we're used to or what we want.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know how you feel Carol. For the past 33 years we have had a Christmas get together with my wife's family. I am not into Christmas but I am into the family gathering. I am fairly certain my wife has nixed it for this year. Still, as you have noted, it is all perspective. Thanksgiving will be my wife and I and her mother.
If there is one thing I do every day, it is to give thanks. I truly believe there is no more powerful force than gratitude, which can be experienced solely but is best shared.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So sorry to hear your sister has covid...we've a few close friends with it. One a contractor who my husband and he swaps additional help when trusses or a heavy beam needs set. Had to do the calendar days...and we were safe. But, another close to us was Hospitalized...I feel, there is no rhyme or reason to this virus. I pray the rest of your sisters family remains healthy.

We...are not having anyone in. I can't risk it with my compromised respiratory issues. I text my brother to invite my stepmom...to his gathering. He, his younger daughter...and his older daughter and her boyfriend. But his adult daughter...works in the ER. That particular hospital has been seeing covid patients coming through their doors. So she declined. I hadn't considered her job when I suggested it. But my stepmom...she has a boyfriend...so she won't spend Thanksgiving alone. And for that...I am grateful.

Our family Christmas party is also canceled. My nephew's wife...is pregnant. No one wants to see her get sick and it originates from the party.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I told my wife a week ago we would not be doing a big get together that we were asked to attend. To many families with kids attending school or parents in high risk jobs. Unfortunately I am at risk with horrible lung function. I hated to do it but I felt it was necessary. Here's to hoping a vaccine is on the way and we can put this crap behind us.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I hated to do it but I felt it was necessary.
I guess that's the theme this year. Even my son advocated for us to skip it, if my sister would have been able to host. I think he considers us as "elderly" so more at risk, lol. At least he cares!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I pray the rest of your sisters family remains healthy.
Thanks Darlene. My brother in law has heart issues as well as breathing problems, so he is really at risk. So far so good though. 🤞🙏

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Darlene. My brother in law has heart issues as well as breathing problems, so he is really at risk. So far so good though. 🤞🙏
That is a touchy situation. I imagine your sister is quarantining at a distance in the home. Will continue to keep them in my prayers.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
oh rn my mom , stepdad , and we think our dog cause he had been coughing badly and very tired . I’m negative and fine and also my mom and stepdad are fine and they say it’s better than the flu

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I told my wife a week ago we would not be doing a big get together that we were asked to attend. To many families with kids attending school or parents in high risk jobs. Unfortunately I am at risk with horrible lung function. I hated to do it but I felt it was necessary. Here's to hoping a vaccine is on the way and we can put this crap behind us.
Take good care of yourself. Its no fun if you can't breath. Last year I had a bad cough for 2 months. It cleared up in summer and came back for 3 months in the fall. Out of the blue I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis, asthma, and minor emphysema. Now I have to take an inhaler with me, one in the morning and one for emergencies.
Not complaining, I should have taken better care of myself. Just saying guard your lungs.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Take good care of yourself. Its no fun if you can't breath. Last year I had a bad cough for 2 months. It cleared up in summer and came back for 3 months in the fall. Out of the blue I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis, asthma, and minor emphysema. Now I have to take an inhaler with me, one in the morning and one for emergencies.
Not complaining, I should have taken better care of myself. Just saying guard your lungs.
I'm right there with you. In 2010 I had what I thought was a cold that never went away. Turned out I had cancer. Fast forward 8 months I beat it but went from being in the best shape of my life to having the lungs of an 80 year old at age 29. It's been interesting ever since. I'm not saying we are being hermits but I am controlling my risk to the best of my ability. Sitting in a room full of people I love is something I want to do but I do not want to risk their health or mine to do it. Besides some time at home with my wife and kids is not a bad thing.

Hopefully this too will pass soon enough.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My husband is the eldest son of a big Mexican family, all but us living in Colorado Springs. His sisters and nieces compete to host the epic Thanksgiving (mostly traditional menu) and Christmas (Mexican) celebrations, as well as Easter and Mom's birthday in August. Mom has advanced COPD and had a couple of scary bouts with pneumonia in 2019. All the celebrations are off this year. We'll drive down and visit Mom, of course, just us. We will certainly miss the big family get-together, but I gotta say this will be my first Christmas at home in many years. :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm right there with you. In 2010 I had what I thought was a cold that never went away. Turned out I had cancer. Fast forward 8 months I beat it but went from being in the best shape of my life to having the lungs of an 80 year old at age 29. It's been interesting ever since. I'm not saying we are being hermits but I am controlling my risk to the best of my ability. Sitting in a room full of people I love is something I want to do but I do not want to risk their health or mine to do it. Besides some time at home with my wife and kids is not a bad thing.

Hopefully this too will pass soon enough.
You are a brave soul. I wish you nothing but the best.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's the same everywhere. How to fight the pandemic without ruining the economy ? Here, all non-essential businesses are closed, but they might reopen on December 1st because it seems after a second lockdown the situation is improving.

Though my 89-yr-old mother was tested negative last week, she is locked in her flat because one of the friends she goes for a short walk every morning has been tested positive. She'll be tested again today.
The bar-restaurant where one of my son works is closed maybe until January 15th, but here the government took measures so he gets 85% of his salary (minus the tips that were a good part of his income).

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but people are getting used to the idea of a Christmas without most of the family.

More : the government found an agreement with Amazon, etc. to postpone "black Friday" to Dec. 4th, when other businesses re-open.

Will they postpone Xmas to June ?...

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
In a way I'm happy Christmas is cancelled, traveling at that time is an absolute nightmare, or worse having to get the house acceptable for visitors so this year at least we don't have to make up an excuse.

Truthfully though I'm pissed, thoroughly pissed off. This shit could be under control by now but the EU and Spain chose a different path. I am pissed these fuckers chose the economy over lives and decided we have to live with it until there is a vaccine. My family were supposed to visit in June and naturally that was called off and also had visits planned for 2021 which are off too, they can't even leave the country to come. We can't realistically go visit them either and this doesn't look like easing up until 2022. Not sure what would happen if one of them was to catch this or I had to go back for an emergency visit for some reason but it worries me being this far away at this time. At least they have a government who is actually doing the right things and have things pretty much under control, I guess there is some solace in that.
The sooner normality returns the better and we can get out, I'm done.

I'm sorry everyone has to holiday differently this year but the main thing is to look after yourselves and your families and it's good to see that people are doing that, because if one thing is clearer than ever you need to look after yourself because no one else will.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But, my sister has COVID. She is a PT at a nursing home
Oh no! Sure hope she pulls through quickly.

The nursing home where my dad used to be 2 wks ago, had around 100 patients and ~60 staff members positive.
It's not a huge facility.

Mom has COPD, congestive heart failure, AFIB, stroke, heart attack, and dementia at 80,
so we're planning weatherwise. Wednesday forecast 65ºF colder Thursday, so we'll either
eat on her back porch Wed, or drop food off Thur. Still...
I feel, there is no rhyme or reason to this virus
So true. Even the healthy being vulnerable, we still would follow the same protocol.
We can spread it for 2 wks before symptoms, or longer A symptomatic.
You can test Neg and contract it on the way home from the test same day,
so I'm not on board with testing active virus before gatherings. Besides, most of the time
our test results are days out, in the meantime...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Oh no! Sure hope she pulls through quickly.
Thanks, her symptoms were fairly mild, lost taste and smell and had some head and chest congestions. It's been 10 days since she tested positive. The worry is her husband who has heart and breathing issues. So far, so good. 🤞🙏. Hope you and your family can have some semblance of the holiday. But even if you just drop off food, you're doing the best you can to keep your mom safe.

Top Bottom