The “clearance plant, cheapo” thread

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of my trees are collected yardadori but this is my clearance tree I gotIMG_20230724_151423682~2.jpg from Walmart about 6 months ago. I removed it from the weird plastic pot that had styrofoam on top of the soil. I don't have a before pic but it is fuller/greener now I think. It's 11 inches tall. Paid $7.00.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Most of my trees are collected yardadori but this is my clearance tree I gotView attachment 499742 from Walmart about 6 months ago. I removed it from the weird plastic pot that had styrofoam on top of the soil. I don't have a before pic but it is fuller/greener now I think. It's 11 inches tall. Paid $7.00.
Nice find. You could get 3 trees out of there in no time.
Or leave it tall. 👍

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @Gollum169 , I seem to be following you around some threads!

My clearance purchases this fall were an Amber Glow Ninebark, very large and prickly Pyracantha Gnome, much smaller and somewhat less prickly Pyracantha Teton, and a sweet little viola for an accent plant. Unfortunately they have all been heeled in and covered with leaves for the winter. Next spring I'll be able to post pics.

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
@queenofsheba52 So I just discovered my obsession with bonsai in August and have collected several end-of-season deals already. A couple of junipers, a canadian hemlock, ninebark, cotoneaster, alpine currant, and a crabapple. Bad time of the year to get into this hobby in my climate since I shouldn't really do much until spring here. When I brought the firebird crab home (it's over 6' tall and grafted at the top so I'm hoping to try an air layer in the spring) my 10 year old said "Does Mom know about this? 😳

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh @Gollum169 , my kids know never to tell Dad until I have had a chance to mention new purchases LOL That's why I love end of season sales so much.

Now, while you are waiting out your long winter, you will have time to make studies on air layering, pruning, etc. Will you use sphagnum moss or substrate in your layers? Sphagnum is getting harder to find these days. Plan out now what you will use for pots ( I like terra cotta azalea pots because they are wide and low). You'll need mesh for the drainage holes; I use plastic needlepoint canvas from a craft store. Think about susbstrate, buy or make enough for spring potting. Do you have wire? I get mine from Amazon. You don't need lots of tools for first but I highly recommend a nice sharp pruning tool or purchasing a concave cutter. I take black and white pics of my new purchases and print them, then study how I might prune/chop.

Then, when spring comes and everything needs your attention all at once, you'll be ready!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@queenofsheba52 So I just discovered my obsession with bonsai in August and have collected several end-of-season deals already. A couple of junipers, a canadian hemlock, ninebark, cotoneaster, alpine currant, and a crabapple. Bad time of the year to get into this hobby in my climate since I shouldn't really do much until spring here. When I brought the firebird crab home (it's over 6' tall and grafted at the top so I'm hoping to try an air layer in the spring) my 10 year old said "Does Mom know about this? 😳
It’s not a bad time to get into bonsai. I think it is a really good time. Take the time to learn and plan projects for spring. As much as I love spring and summer. Fall and winter is a great time to recalibrate and take a break with the tree’s.

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
@BrightsideB You have a good point! I have a lot of time to learn and plan. It's just hard to learn without being able to actually do much and practice! It has been a really fun experience so far though. Youtube and this forum has been great since I don't know anyone where I live that does bonsai.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@BrightsideB You have a good point! I have a lot of time to learn and plan. It's just hard to learn without being able to actually do much and practice! It has been a really fun experience so far though. Youtube and this forum has been great since I don't know anyone where I live that does bonsai.
I hear you for sure. I personally believe that it can make you pick it up in spring better than starting at spring and learning all this stuff at once.

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I also have time to plan out my yard and hopefully build some benches or something because I'm starting to have a collection problem.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
As many have warmly welcomed me here as a fellow newcomer, welcome to crazy!

I’m about 2 years in myself. Just custom built my first bench, have been building wood grow boxes, planting acorns, and assembling a rag-tag group of department store and yard volunteer trees that are all coming along in one way or another. It’s quickly become both a hobby and a passion.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This thread is pretty fun! Any updates on fall deals??
I’m glad you like it! Thanks for keeping it going.

I guess I have one that I forgot to post here.
I got this Tom thumb cotoneaster late summer for 40% off.
I believe I paid around $10 for it at one of those temporary parking lot nurseries.

IMG_9433.jpegIMG_9436.jpegIMG_9440.jpegIMG_9439.jpegIMG_9446.jpegIMG_9917.jpegIMG_0068.jpeg

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I'll try to take some pics of my deals but thanks to daylight savings time it's dark when I get home.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Top Bottom