The “clearance plant, cheapo” thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Japanese cheese wood?
Any pics?
Sometimes called mock orange. Pittosporum tobira

None of it has been worked. That far left one really leans over the pot, but had to turn it to fit it in and doesn’t show well in the pic

Attachments

• 40FA49E5-E71D-4E69-AECC-FB616D09A24B.jpeg
    40FA49E5-E71D-4E69-AECC-FB616D09A24B.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 48

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sometimes called mock orange. Pittosporum tobira

None of it has been worked. That far left one really leans over the pot, but had to turn it to fit it in and doesn’t show well in the pic
Oh wow. Those look really cool.
the one second from left looks like it has nice potential. Thanks!

Bosco Seitzer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those weird arborvitae species are only good for landscape purposes I have tried those ones from that nursery and they didnt grow a bit and died a year later.

I am not a fan of boxwoods either, they just make me think of a "topiary" in front of a billionnaires mansion.

I wish there was better nursery choices in MN but for years now when I buy trees I buy from a great pre-bonsai grower and get them mailed here.

1630230173424.png

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Oh yeah, wasn’t sure what plant you where referring to.
yeah. Pond baskets.
ive gotten thuja in these at other nurseries as well.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Sorry, I'm a Florida people and we have giant bougie trees bigger than our house and we're always looking for plants like that. Always.

When I saw the plant I thought 'that guy must be in Minnesota or something'...That is a very!!! hard thing to find in Florida. A bougie with a trunk like that. Somebody at Lowe's was new or on drugs that day. Lucky you! Glad you snagged and will do it right. Have fun with it...Katie

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a Florida people and we have giant bougie trees bigger than our house and we're always looking for plants like that. Always.

When I saw the plant I thought 'that guy must be in Minnesota or something'...That is a very!!! hard thing to find in Florida. A bougie with a trunk like that. Somebody at Lowe's was new or on drugs that day. Lucky you! Glad you snagged and will do it right. Have fun with it...Katie
That was said tongue in cheek, just jealous of you "Florida People".

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
About 20 years ago I was doing a nursery crawl looking for stuff to bring north and one nursery had one in a giant pot that that had been tipped-over by a storm. The pot was 6 feet in DIAMETER and 4 feet DEEP. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I was doing a nursery crawl looking for stuff to bring north and one nursery had one in a giant pot that that had been tipped-over by a storm. The pot was 6 feet in DIAMETER and 4 feet DEEP. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Where is it in your garden?😁

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
That was said tongue in cheek, just jealous of you "Florida People".
I get it Carol. Smile.... Just wanted to say that's an amazing find here! Bougie's are everywhere but not with a trunk like that, or for that price either. Most go for about 35.00 at a farmer's market and almost double that at a nursery. I don't check out Lowe's and HD like most because I always just want to get out of those places. I like Costco but most big box stores kind of overwhelm me. Getting stuck walking down the plumbing isle is my idea of a nightmare.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Getting stuck walking down the plumbing isle is my idea of a nightmare.
I get that. At HD or Lowes, I head to the garden center and he goes who knows where. I really need to get a GPS tracking system on him because he just disappears in there. However, sometimes that gives me time to buy a plant and sneak it into the car while he's wandering around.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I get that. At HD or Lowes, I head to the garden center and he goes who knows where. I really need to get a GPS tracking system on him because he just disappears in there. However, sometimes that gives me time to buy a plant and sneak it into the car while he's wandering around.
Carol, I can't sneak anything past my husband. On occasion he may pretend not to notice, but he sees all. Very aware of everything. I usually wait in the car on HD trips but now that bonsai is a 'thing' I'll go in!

Top Bottom