The “interesting things that showed up in my yamadori” thread.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have collected a number of conifers and deciduous shrubs in the Canadian Rockies and prairies. With the conifers I retain a fair bit of the original soil. Interesting little plants from these habitats frequently show up in this.
I know they compete with the trees, and most will probably find their way into accent pots or rock gardens when I’m sure the trees are established and I can mess around near the roots. In the meantime, I’ll share some pics. I know a lot of you have had similar experiences and I’d love to see your little surprises as well.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In one of the places I have collected spruce and potentilla the ground is nearly covered with alpine bearberry, arctous alpina, it is related to kinnikinnik, but is deciduous. It has black berries, brilliant red fall colour and trails very low. I think it would make a great accent plant, since it looks distinctive and interesting in all seasons.BE57C9E2-8B8E-4C9A-8B6B-18A3609CB155.jpeg
Here you can see the little bell shaped flowers D25405A8-211A-4F56-AA21-449589F961B2.jpeg
New growth is a bit reddish too.D134116C-8C89-4071-9748-A7BD2D0D92F2.jpeg
I find the texture of the leaves very appealing.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There have also been a few woody shrubs that came out of collected trees. First, dwarf spruce, betula nana. It came in as a piece of cut up root with a spruce. It then grew shoots and was put in it’s own pot. These turn whole mountainsides bright orange in the fall in some areas.AF336D2F-9479-4608-ACAB-B57870BEBAD4.jpeg
Next is a wolf willow, eleagnus communis that hitchhiked in with a buffalo berry bush:9DFFD294-F9ED-4E28-A1E1-CDE4BCAD529A.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nobody has a picture of termites in this thread yet? Dwarf mistletoe? All the "interesting" stuff that every accidently came home with me fell in the "May you live in interesting times" curse category.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Tycoss, very interesting and right up my alley. I'm putting in a small native wildflower meadow in about 1000 square feet of my side yard. I've been collecting all kinds of local plants in addition to a 1/2 pound of native flower seeds from an online supplier. I must say, I haven't run into as many beautiful plants as the ones you have. While not a native, I seem to have drawn more than my share of portulaca volunteers, maybe from the commercial pine bark I use. No matter, I'll put them in the garden somewhere.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Common purslane, Portulaca oleracea is its own reward.

Top Bottom