Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

woodworker

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a great thread for a newbie like me to read. Thanks for taking the time to share your pics and progress. There are a zillion bonsai pics on the web, but it's nearly impossible to find pics of a tree from start to now. Your tree is looking amazing!

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
I planted 4 trident maples at my fathers ranch and I should have started with 3 year old stock instead of seedlings but oh well. Here in the central valley ( CA) it gets scorching hot so I added growtubes to each tree when I planted them. I also planted them on top of tiles. As far as getting the trunk fatter should I pick a leader and prune some of the branches back so a leader is established?

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 257

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I planted 4 trident maples at my fathers ranch and I should have started with 3 year old stock instead of seedlings but oh well. Here in the central valley ( CA) it gets scorching hot so I added growtubes to each tree when I planted them. I also planted them on top of tiles. As far as getting the trunk fatter should I pick a leader and prune some of the branches back so a leader is established?
Just let it grow until the trunk is as thick as you want it. Then chop, low.
Please start a new thread to discuss your tree so this thread can remain focused on the project tree.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This thread is priceless. I'm working on a Trident that had been in the ground for a couple years and in a Pond basket for a few more. I'm putting it back in the ground next spring and doing a trunk chop. Your experience and documentation of this one is very helpful. Thanks!

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What ever is in the corral should keep it pruned for you.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Did a little pruning and wiring today. Looking forward to getting this into a bonsai pot next spring. It threw a lucky shoot on the right side above the first right branch, which I’ll grow out next year to add a little interest and break up the long trunk line.
Before:
1EA23E4C-EF39-4B98-AD9C-C0082AC16C93.jpeg

After:
F21B195B-AE55-4159-91E9-6D5AF1D5D134.jpeg
5C4102A1-1CC8-442D-921B-3FB6B7FE74ED.jpeg
D71F5812-A0CA-4B63-9627-E79711889FBB.jpeg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see your a "top splitter" on the wire also. I see it on Adair's trees also. Is this an east/coast/Southern thing?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I see your a "top splitter" on the wire also. I see it on Adair's trees also. Is this an east/coast/Southern thing?
I assume you’re implying the alternative is to go under the bifurcation? By going over the bifurcation, just behind the split, I can lay the next wire just ahead of it, anchoring and preventing crossing. Since it’s on top of the branch, I can see my route easier. If I do it consistently the same way every time, it becomes faster and easier to wire. Look at these 3 wires labeled, and where they’re headed, and how each follows the previous.
E2345471-DA9B-4CE1-A82C-322381EC221B.jpeg

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Brian.
I’ve just read through the thread. Brilliant documentation that shows how to develop a tree from start to finish. Thoroughly enjoyable and detailed explanation
Thank you.
Andy

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Wow. This is a great thread, so clear through 10 years of development.
Thank you Brian!

Top Bottom