The 2010 BonsaiNut Maple Project

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was looking this tree over, the one you recently chopped. I am wondering with all the talk in the other thread about wanting movement lower on the trunk, if this stove pipe isn't too long?

I would have chopped it lower, but I usually prepare mine for future chopping by retaining a bud at the future chop site to cut to. In this case the horizontal node line looks to be in the middle of your stove pipe, so it will probably bud there and you could cut back to that area later in the summer?

I look at the long straight line on the right side of the tree. That is a very long straight line.

Attachments

• BVF maple.jpg
    BVF maple.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,307

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I was looking this tree over, the one you recently chopped. I am wondering with all the talk in the other thread about wanting movement lower on the trunk, if this stove pipe isn't too long?

I would have chopped it lower, but I usually prepare mine for future chopping by retaining a bud at the future chop site to cut to. In this case the horizontal node line looks to be in the middle of your stove pipe, so it will probably bud there and you could cut back to that area later in the summer?

I look at the long straight line on the right side of the tree. That is a very long straight line.
Yep, there are 2 nodes, one better positioned below the one you drew an arrow to, on the other side. I left both nodes, plus another 3/4" to account for dieback. It will be reduced further this summer when I see my options. Right now, I envision this tree to finish out around 28" tall.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Root work

It's been a few years since I bare-rooted this, but I did undercut a portion of one side last summer. It responded very well, as evidenced by the abundance of whites roots that emerged near the trunk (last photo).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 968
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 925
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 918
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,022

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Before it went back in the ground, I marked another section with a loop of wire that I'll undercut this summer. This should reduce the big heavy roots and keep plenty of feeder roots close to the trunk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,020
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 947
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 899
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 857
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 904

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Replanting the tree. I used quite a bit of bonsai soil in the planting hole to begin the transition to a bonsai pot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 886
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 870
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 864
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 1,024

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That tree is coming along beautifully. I wish I could fast forward about 4-5 years to see how the ones I have in the ground turn out.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you cut it again? It looks quite a bit shorter....

kostasd87

Seedling
Reaction score
This tree is coming along really beautifully. Congratulations on writing and updating one of the most informative sources of Bonsai development from cuttings I have ever read. Greetings from Greece!

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Have you worked much with this tree this season? I always look forward to updates on it.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Because of the aggressive root pruning this spring, the top growth was considerably slower this year. Not concerning, but definitely noticeable. I suspect next year will be another strong year for top growth, and I'll have a pruning decision to make on the next section of trunk based on this front.

This summer, I carved the back of the second trunk section, and pruned the runner back around July to add options for the third section.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,113

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just found this thread and enjoyed the read. I've actually been doing this for a American elm and southern wax myrtle. I should start a thread too, as you inspired me to take more pictures.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Brian, I read post 64, but I may not be understanding what you said there about the wire. Are you allowing the maple's roots to grow and become constricted by the wire loop causing it to grow roots like a ground layer? That seems like a good idea to improve the nebari rather than just doing a severe root chop.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi Brian, I read post 64, but I may not be understanding what you said there about the wire. Are you allowing the maple's roots to grow and become constricted by the wire loop causing it to grow roots like a ground layer? That seems like a good idea to improve the nebari rather than just doing a severe root chop.
The wire was placed to mark the spot to cut in the summertime. Since the growth was so slow this year, I didn't excavate and cut, but will next summer. By then, maybe it will have bitten in and caused some layering.

Last edited:

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
winner

your maple is gonna be a winner someday. wish I could grow them here

best wishes, happy holidays,

sam

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you for sharing Brian!

I read the thread from the beginning and I was wondering If i chop of that diameter could of been done on a Japanese Maple?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Update...
Dug, root pruned, approach graft with roots in the base (3rd image), and planted in an Anderson flat for the year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 997
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 925
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg