The 2010 Bonsainut Maple Project

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here is my project tree. This tree started as a whip planted out in my yard on a tile. After a couple of years it was chopped back (about 4 years ago). Then it was dug last April and brought out west.

Although the chop has healed over very nicely the trunk line looks very un-natural so I'm going to chop again, much lower and keep much more control over its growth so I don't get the same ugly transition.

I'll probably pick up some more seedlings also to play with and maybe approach graft some roots too.

Attachments

• trident_1.jpg
    trident_1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 128

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my project tree. This tree started as a whip planted out in my yard on a tile. After a couple of years it was chopped back (about 4 years ago). Then it was dug last April and brought out west.

Although the chop has healed over very nicely the trunk line looks very un-natural so I'm going to chop again, much lower and keep much more control over its growth so I don't get the same ugly transition.

I'll probably pick up some more seedlings also to play with and maybe approach graft some roots too.

What do you mean when you say: "Control its growth"?

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
For Japanese maples it's best to start them in a box 24*24 and 4 inches deep. This is a slower method of growing them but they turn out right (no shortcuts, but no ugly chops either). J. Maples look best as graceful trees with fine spreading nebari. Tridents in my opinion are your heavy trunked maples, so they are grown in the ground and can heal large chops better. Look at Kokufu Ten books and notice the difference for yourself.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What do you mean when you say: "Control its growth"?

Well really I mean I won't just plant it out and forget about it then come back later to see what a mess it has become - i.e. what I did last time:eek:

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ian,
It will be helpful to see this one transform. It certainly has some awkwardness now. I will stay tuned. Thanks for playing.

Top Bottom