The 2010 BonsaiNut Maple Project

TyMarrs

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been lurking around Bnut for a while, and want to get in on the maple project. I posted this tree a while ago on BT. It is a field grown vine maple. Pic1 is from 2008 after digging from the field. Pic2 shows it today, from the tree's most promising front, after growing out and cutting back for a few years. Pic3 shows the back.

The tree stands about 24" from the soil line, with 6.5" trunk at the base. Nebari is not great, so I'm hoping it will take root grafts well, like other maples (from what I've read...). From what I understand, the challenges with this species are large leaf size and long internodes. As many of you know, it has beautiful lime-green spring leaves, with brilliant red fall color. Work for this spring will be to remove the two thicker branch stubs and smooth-out the trunk at those points, and to begin selecting and positioning branches from the backbudding to grow out. I'd love to get some styling advice on which direction to take this tree.

About me, well, I've been into bonsai for a few years and picked up my first few trees 2 years ago, so I am new. I've read a few books and belong to a few forums, and have a small collection of trees that I am happy to say are still alive. I look forward to the advice from those with more experience than myself - thanks!

IMG_8943_1_2_developed.jpg

IMG_4317_8_6.jpg

IMG_4322_3_4.jpg

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the view in the second photo, the trunk shows a lot of character. It seems a bit too massive near the top. Can it be reduced?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome! Glad you're playing! Nice looking maple; will be interesting to see how this one develops. I agree that the second photo shows promise as a front; keeping the middle of the 3 branches that emerge there as your apex. Great taper and movement!

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
This will be one outstanding bonsai, just beautiful. I concur, photo 2 should be the front.:)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Using the middle branch as your trunk line...

Attachments

• IMG_4317_8_6.jpg
    IMG_4317_8_6.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 52

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Ty,

Nice maple you got there....I actually have about 4 collected vine maples that I have collected over the past few years. The fall color is second to none... amazing trees. I have a literati style one that I am going to wire and airlayer this spring....I will post pictures here.

Here is my bigger VM that I will be reworking this spring as well...... http://jasonsbonsai.blogspot.com/2009/03/collected-vine-maple.html

Anyways, where do you live? I ask because I know VM is not a ver common tree.

Thanks for sharing.

Jason

TyMarrs

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Barry: Are you referring to the uppermost portion of the trunk to the left in Pic2? If so, yes, I think it can be reduced/refined. Part of the spring work will be going over that area and selecting a new leader to grow out.

Brian: Thanks for the idea. I had planned on keeping the larger portion on the left, but will consider using the middle branch as the top. I hesitate to make this tree too squat - might be too difficult to control its' vigorous growth and large leaves in order to keep it proportional and convincing.

Jason: I did search around for other examples of vine maple and found your post here on the tree and read through your blog. Quite a nice specimen you have there. I am in NW Washington, outside Bellingham. So as you know, vine maple runs rampant here. Here's a shot from this fall from the backyard, we have some huge 40' tall vine maples. I've been doing quite a bit of bushwhacking in search of collect-able trees, but so far none worth the effort.

IMG_3872_3_1.jpg

On another note, what do you all recommend as wound treatment as I begin reducing the branch stubs and making some major cuts? I have used Doc Farwell's in the past, as I had it on hand, but was curious what others are using.

Thanks.

Top Bottom