The 2019 National Shohin Exhibition is coming!

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
It’s an excellent exhibition. Happy to be a part of it. Would’ve liked to have had a taller stand for my star jaamine.

Love Mark Arpag’s 4 point display. It won a bunch of awards, and I would’ve chose it as well.

Attachments

• 341081F0-A3DA-4BFE-9DD5-A6D3A58AA37F.jpeg
    341081F0-A3DA-4BFE-9DD5-A6D3A58AA37F.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 59

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Two more of the winning displays and artists, I only missed one, that was Troy Smitt (not sure if I spelled the last name correctly!) who won for best evergreen.
I got his display but couldn't find him to photograph him with. I was so happy to meet all the fine artists and other people at this show. Was a fun time and a great experience. Had a lot of fun with Dave and Adair!IMG_1680.jpgIMG_1681.jpg

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@JudyB , We had some when the kids went to bed last night. I was surprised there was any left when I went home at lunch today. (Bacon in the Sun (Maple Icing, Chopped Bacon, & Salted Caramel Drizzle) for me. Sunrise (Raspberry Drizzle on Lemon Icing) for her.) It was (easily) the right decision.

Congrats on your well-deserved award. There are definitely worse ways to spend a weekend than taking in awesome trees, innovative displays, learning from a multitude of demonstrators, winning a raffle that I entered simply by creating a shadow, listening in on a critique of the displays, meandering through 3 (2 and one half of a really big one) rooms of vendors, and mostly meeting friends ...old and new. It was a great time. The trees were stellar, but they weren't even the best part. Now I've got to resist the urge to burn my trees that always comes after visiting a high quality show and really nice collections.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@JudyB , We had some when the kids went to bed last night. I was surprised there was any left when I went home at lunch today. (Bacon in the Sun (Maple Icing, Chopped Bacon, & Salted Caramel Drizzle) for me. Sunrise (Raspberry Drizzle on Lemon Icing) for her.) It was (easily) the right decision.

Congrats on your well-deserved award. There are definitely worse ways to spend a weekend than taking in awesome trees, innovative displays, learning from a multitude of demonstrators, winning a raffle that I entered simply by creating a shadow, listening in on a critique of the displays, meandering through 3 (2 and one half of a really big one) rooms of vendors, and mostly meeting friends ...old and new. It was a great time. The trees were stellar, but they weren't even the best part. Now I've got to resist the urge to burn my trees that always comes after visiting a high quality show and really nice collections.
Thanks Wayne, glad to hear that went over well :)
Agree on all the rest!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
People alaways ask:

Where do I get stands?
Where can I get good material?
Where can I buy tools?
Where can I get akadama (lava, pumice, fertilizer...)
Where can I get good pots?

Simple. At shows like this.

Sure, you “might” get a better price buying something from an internet seller, but at shows, you can pick things up, look underneath, feel his tools feel in your hand, feel the sharpness of the scissors, check the patina of the pots, ask questions of the vendors, ask exhibiters their opinions of times for sale...

Mel Goldstein and I are competitors in Shohin, yet he was kind enough to cut me a bit of a discount on a tree he was selling.

The show experience is really rewarding, and attending them keeps the hobby growing!

Thank you Bill Valalvanis for providing the bonsai community for great shows! You have truely earned your place in the Bonsai Hall of Fame!

Top Bottom