The 2019 National Shohin Exhibition is coming!

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
It is a very cool & rare Satsuki that flowers pretty much all summer! Glad too see you got it Judy.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had heard it was a rebloomer, but all summer, that is cool!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As @William N. Valavanis replied. I saw it and could not stop myself. I love unusual cultivars the most of anything!
Yup. As long as it’s something that will do well in my climate. I have this trident:

005156B3-40D8-48FE-9C33-7360E35B5D27.jpeg

With very unusual leaves. They have an exceptionally long center lobe, and combined with long petiole, it gives the tree a weeping appearance. It’s a “mino yatsabusa” trident. I’ve only seen one other one.

It’s growth habit is different, too. Unlike most tridents, it doesn’t really send out long runners of shoots. Instead, it tends to send out zillions of leaves from one bud. This can lead to swelling at each bud. So, it produces “knobs” on the branches. Knobs on most tridents are considered faults. But with this cultivar, that’s just part of their character. Kinda like chi-chis on ginkgo. And you know how some ginkgo don’t send out shoots, just a spray of leaves? That’s what this trident does. And, the bark defoliators like crepe myrtle.

Weird tree!

I’m hoping to get it in good enough condition for a trip to Rochester! The fall colors are spectacular on it. I don’t know if I can get it to color up that early in the fall, though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorry, that forest is not a Shishigashira Japanese maple. It's a Koto Hime trained from cuttings in an antique Chinese container. Note the bamboo style display table used because the bonsai was displayed in summer. Oh, it belongs to me and I designed it several years ago.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry, that forest is not a Shishigashira Japanese maple. It's a Koto Hime trained from cuttings in an antique Chinese container. Note the bamboo style display table used because the bonsai was displayed in summer. Oh, it belongs to me and I designed it several years ago.

Well no wonder I liked it so much! I stand corrected. From the photo, it looked like a shishigashira. Beautiful! Thanks Bill.

Top Bottom