The 2020 National Exposition has been postponed by a year.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m sure Bill Valavanis will confirm this, but I just heard that the National show scheduled for September 2020 has been postponed for a year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
US NATIONAL BONSAI EXHIBITION POSTPONED

Regrettably, due to the health and travel issues cause by the COVID-19 Virus the 2020 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition has been postponed to September 11-12, 2021.

It has always been our desire to produce the finest bonsai exhibition in the United States. The worsening conditions surrounding the pandemic has made it difficult to maintain the high standards we have established.

Deciding to postpone the Exhibition was an extremely difficult decision based on the safety of the bonsai community. I nervously waited until now, hoping for an improvement. Although the conditions in New York State are improving limited space capacity for gathering are in place. Unfortunately the conditions of the rest of our country are rapidly deteriorating, making traveling most difficult and unsafe.

I did my best to organize our 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition and tried, very, very hard to pull it off making changes due to health concerns, state mandates, banquet venue closing (but did find an alternative,) exhibitors, vendors and visitors safely traveling to Rochester, but could not.

Additional information for exhibitors and vendors will be soon forthcoming.

Bonsai meetings, exhibits and conventions have been cancelled throughout the world because of the pandemic and we need a “bonsai fix” which the Exhibition would have provided.

For those who feel safe to travel and need to see bonsai, we will be hosting a special Open House event on September 12-13, 2020. Details to be soon announced.

I hope you and your family remain safe and healthy during this most unusual, unprecedented time of our lives and I look forward to welcoming you to the 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition next September 11-12, 2021.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
US NATIONAL BONSAI EXHIBITION POSTPONED

Regrettably, due to the health and travel issues cause by the COVID-19 Virus the 2020 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition has been postponed to September 11-12, 2021.

It has always been our desire to produce the finest bonsai exhibition in the United States. The worsening conditions surrounding the pandemic has made it difficult to maintain the high standards we have established.

Deciding to postpone the Exhibition was an extremely difficult decision based on the safety of the bonsai community. I nervously waited until now, hoping for an improvement. Although the conditions in New York State are improving limited space capacity for gathering are in place. Unfortunately the conditions of the rest of our country are rapidly deteriorating, making traveling most difficult and unsafe.

I did my best to organize our 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition and tried, very, very hard to pull it off making changes due to health concerns, state mandates, banquet venue closing (but did find an alternative,) exhibitors, vendors and visitors safely traveling to Rochester, but could not.

Additional information for exhibitors and vendors will be soon forthcoming.

Bonsai meetings, exhibits and conventions have been cancelled throughout the world because of the pandemic and we need a “bonsai fix” which the Exhibition would have provided.

For those who feel safe to travel and need to see bonsai, we will be hosting a special Open House event on September 12-13, 2020. Details to be soon announced.

I hope you and your family remain safe and healthy during this most unusual, unprecedented time of our lives and I look forward to welcoming you to the 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition next September 11-12, 2021.

We all understand totally, Bill. For my part, I think you’ve made the right decision to defer but I know how difficult of a decision this was for you to make. Hopefully, the delay didn‘t come at any financial cost to you. Look forward to joining you next year!! Thanks for doing all that you do.

S

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am actually relieved a bit that this is coming in a timely fashion. I had trees accepted, but was very concerned about attending, as I'm the caregiver for my elderly parents (in their 90's!) now more than ever. I'm glad now that I don't have to make that decision, and maybe take the chance and do something that might endanger them. Thanks for all your hard work that I know you've been putting in on this now cancelled event.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm actually glad, there was no way to convince my wife it was a good idea this year. Now I won't have "fomo" haha. See you in 2021

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Bill. Tough decision but absolutely the right one given the circumstances.

Even though I live locally I probably would not have attended because my wife is in the higher risk group due to medical conditions.

Hope to see you at the open house in September. I will probably be down your way sometime during the next week and will call about stopping by.

Chris

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Tough decision, but a good one I think.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
So if the 2020 is postponed to 2021, will the 2021 be canceled or postponed to 2022?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Understandable, and a tough decision. Selfishly, maybe I’ll have time to go and something to show next year!
Thanks for all you do for bonsai, Bill.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't begin to imagine the behind the scene foot work for preparation of such a grand show. Though I respect your decision sir...I know it had to be difficult making.

Next year's show, for sure will have everyone biting at the bit to get there. Take care, and stay safe.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just like everyone else, I am very saddened to see this great event being postponed. However, all my respect to Bill as I think this was ultimately the correct and responsible thing to do.

I look forward now to Nationals 2021!

Top Bottom