The 2023 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mateo, nice tree and test. Do you have a lot of luck collecting in December/Jan out here in NC?
That tree actually did survive and has put off quite a few strong shoots. I try to aim for late January/ early February to start collecting. I get about 90% success rates. Itā€™s usually our summer heat and dry spells that is responsible for my mortalities. Occasionally something will just not wake up but it is fairly rare that that happens. I also go primarily for species that are hardy to root chops. I do plan on trying some oaks this spring though.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Amazing. Glad I ran into more of your posts about collecting after you replied to my "campestre" collection thread. I'll target late january to dig it up!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Amazing. Glad I ran into more of your posts about collecting after you replied to my "campestre" collection thread. I'll target late january to dig it up!
I found this American beech today, it is on my list for this spring. IMG_0216.jpegIMG_0218.jpeg
What part on NC are you in?

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I hope so. I've already found a nice american hornbeam, that large hedge maple, a beautiful twin trunk privet, and two elms with great nabari to chop and dig.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I just trunk chopped this large hedge/field maple. Although its unorthodox, I'm applying Walter's hedge pruning method to try and get a more realistic representation of the trees habit. This was a great find and I'm excited to see how it goes, and especially glad its a maple since these can take quite a lot of abuse. It's growing in a great cluster with a few extra trees on the outside I can separate or move around for a "forest" later on.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    479 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2884.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 25

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I also chopped what I think is an American Hornbeam with a great nebari, and a nice elm. I'll post pictures of those later.

Top Bottom