The 2023 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you don’t know about it try the black bag trick for Hawthorne… it works great.
YouTube, Tony tickle videos if you need more info. Harry Harrington has one as well.
The ones I did in august responded straight away put out lots of shoots so I’d say they are probably fine the two recents I have just left in a protected area I’ve seen the videos not used the method yet but I am sure I will at some point

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
@Leo in N E Illinois You might be happy to learn . One of the first trees I’ll be collecting in the spring . Is an Allegheny Serviceberry . Will be looking for your advice . I can’t get the pics from last summer to load . ( snow storm interference I think ) all the roots are one sided . As the tree is growing against and on top of a large piece of granite . But it has a nice base . Sone old bark . And as suspected multi stems . But the rock is forcing nebari
@Leo in N E Illinois if you know serviceberry I may make a post on a collected one I got from Paul Olsen at a club auction last year. I don’t quite know what to do with it. Weird thing with odd branching and deadwood in need of carving but what the hey. Seemed fun, I like flowers and fruit, and learning carving will be fun.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a Hawthorne that would be a good candidate for a trunk chop. Would it be better to bring it up and chop it at the same time, or chop it this year and pull it up next year?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a Hawthorne that would be a good candidate for a trunk chop. Would it be better to bring it up and chop it at the same time, or chop it this year and pull it up next year?
I would think that chop this year and pull it up next year...but I don't have any experience to back that up. Just intuition.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would think that chop this year and pull it up next year...but I don't have any experience to back that up. Just intuition.
For me it all depends on how easy the species bud out. For BCs and May hawthorns that bud easily, I pull up and chop both roots and top at the same time. That way there is a balance between the water demands and the availability of root to supply the water. Both new buds and new roots come out at the same time using the sugar reserve in the tree. Both will develop in balance.
However, for species that don't bud easily and don't have much in reserve, pull and chop may be too much and the tree die.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Hawthorne that would be a good candidate for a trunk chop. Would it be better to bring it up and chop it at the same time, or chop it this year and pull it
First I have never collected hawthorn . But for mist species . There is no right and wrong answer . Depends on the conditions it’s . In . You need viable small feeder roots . In a forest situation . Roots can spread . A long way . In a small pocket not . What kind of light is it in . Ie if you chop it in the woods and it don’t get enough light . It won’t survive . I find most northern trees are not as forgiving . As warmer climate trees . So I work slower . If there is no panic . I would collect it . If I thought I could get enough roots . Trim it back sone . ( to make it smaller easier to bring home . And less demand on the roots in recovery ) when it is recovered and healthy chop it to get max response . Depend on the situation I might trim back the roots and fertilize the tree . And leave it for a year . Or if there are lots around chop sone see how they respond . Someone more familiar may just do it all in one go . But without a doubt. . All at one is the riskiest move . But like Cajun says sone trees respond very well . Most Dicid are more forgiving then conifers . But I’m pretty confident I would not chop and dig for my first one

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always dig and chop at the same time, regardless of species. If you chop a tree in the ground, the following year it will be weaker at collection time. If you collect a tree and chop the next year, it’ll struggle to push as many new buds. If you chop and dig at the same time, when the tree is at the peak of vigor for both operations, it must respond to pruning at both ends, so its resources are split. Overall, I don’t think there’s a wrong order of operations. I worry about (a) collecting enough roots and (b) providing good aftercare. When a collection fails, for me it’s almost always a tree with too little root mass. However, for a tree on the edge, you can tip the balance in the tree’s favor with warm spring temperatures, cool summer temperatures, and high all around humidity.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First I have never collected hawthorn . But for mist species . There is no right and wrong answer . Depends on the conditions it’s . In . You need viable small feeder roots . In a forest situation . Roots can spread . A long way . In a small pocket not . What kind of light is it in . Ie if you chop it in the woods and it don’t get enough light . It won’t survive . I find most northern trees are not as forgiving . As warmer climate trees . So I work slower . If there is no panic . I would collect it . If I thought I could get enough roots . Trim it back sone . ( to make it smaller easier to bring home . And less demand on the roots in recovery ) when it is recovered and healthy chop it to get max response . Depend on the situation I might trim back the roots and fertilize the tree . And leave it for a year . Or if there are lots around chop sone see how they respond . Someone more familiar may just do it all in one go . But without a doubt. . All at one is the riskiest move . But like Cajun says sone trees respond very well . Most Dicid are more forgiving then conifers . But I’m pretty confident I would not chop and dig for my first one
This is good feedback. This is in my yard in a wooded spot. I can go as fast or slow as I need. Actually- thinking from another thread... I might be able to bring the whole thing up with a winch... 🤔

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is good feedback. This is in my yard in a wooded spot. I can go as fast or slow as I need. Actually- thinking from another thread... I might be able to bring the whole thing up with a winch... 🤔
As far as I know hawthorn . Buds back well I have not found one worth collecting . From the beginning . If a tree is interesting to collect . Often it has had a struggle in life this must be considered . Traditional collecting . Dig up the tree you must dig far enough from the trunk to get feeder roots . If the tree is a size you can handle . Reduce 50 percent of the top . Keeping buds close to the trunk .
Put it in the smallest container that will fit the roots . But don’t cram it in a pot . As it recovers let it grow . And grow . When it is vigorous. Not just recovered and has a pot full of roots . If the plan is a drastic trunk chop then is the safest time . The healthy well feed roots will force the best response . This takes time . And patience but is safest . How rare as in how hard to find . Is the tree . If you chop a tree in the wild it will have all its original roots to force a response . This can be helpful in sone situations . But what is left needs access to light . Ie in heavy woods and shade will not get a good response . But this can create a tree easier to collect . If you suspect you will have to dig to big a area to get roots you can trim roots sone there are several techniques . That may help if you dig a tree you wound the roots . If you drastically chop the top . It can respond and grow both . With careful after care . Or it can just die . From your comments it’s close to you giving you options . For further care . Be honest with yourself . If it’s just a wooded area there is probable others . If it’s the best one. Chop and dig another lesser tree . And learn chop some in place . Reduce roots in place and fertilize . And regular watering . Dig up small roots and put in bags of bonsai soil with moisture . Are all options . If you have access and it’s really nice . Why hurry . If it’s a collecting trip and it’s now or never these are all things to think about . There is a narrow spring time window to collect . But you can pre prep trees . To a certain extent . At less busy times . Answer this yourself if it’s a species you have no experience with and you dig it up with a few roots drastically chop the trunk . Put it in a pot and it dies what gave you learned . Other than you need to find another tree . I wish you all the luck

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Took the afternoon off work and collected 3 bald cypress and 1 Mayhaw. I had some hope that one of the BCs has knees but that was not true. The knees were from a near by big cypress. Once again these were unwanted trees that I collected and save.

View attachment 467470
This one is budding all over already.
6783696B-5F7B-410F-9477-CC566666330C.jpeg

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be my first victim in spring . I believe I have it identified . As Amelanchier Laevis. Or Allegheny service berry . Or smith bark serviceberry . Pic is from last summer . It’s growing on top of a granite outcrop . Also up against a chunk . So the roots are all one sided . But the shallow . Soil is forcing some base flair . And the base has some aged bark . Both kind of rare from what I have seen . It’s about 4 feet high in the pic . Looking forward to it the first of the species I will have .

Attachments

• 04706C6E-DD48-437D-90D7-0CB5797EDD2A.png
    04706C6E-DD48-437D-90D7-0CB5797EDD2A.png
    311.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 8E44EC77-A4EC-4C2C-94B8-3185874818CC.png
    8E44EC77-A4EC-4C2C-94B8-3185874818CC.png
    346.8 KB · Views: 55

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This will be my first victim in spring . I believe I have it identified . As Amelanchier Laevis. Or Allegheny service berry . Or smith bark serviceberry . Pic is from last summer . It’s growing on top of a granite outcrop . Also up against a chunk . So the roots are all one sided . But the shallow . Soil is forcing some base flair . And the base has some aged bark . Both kind of rare from what I have seen . It’s about 4 feet high in the pic . Looking forward to it the first of the species I will have .
Nice find! Fingers are crossed for a good collection for you!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice find! Fingers are crossed for a good collection for you!
Should be fairly easy . Every collection has its own concerns . This will be simple to dig . Have experience what I must be careful about is getting viable roots . Sounds easy but the roots will stretch out across the rock . The concern is there too cover of grass and weeds . You can collect the tree then have a I shit moment . At home when you find out all the small roots don’t belong to the tree .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 medium size BCs with decent buttresses.
View attachment 472042
View attachment 472043
Is that a drywall saw . You collect a lot . Maybe you don’t have the problems I have with grit and rocks . But I went to the reciprocating saw hardware store blades . You can buy a cheap handle . That accepts them . Best part is you can easily carry several different blades into the woods . I have actually found the blades . Are tougher and last better .

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Is that a drywall saw . You collect a lot . Maybe you don’t have the problems I have with grit and rocks . But I went to the reciprocating saw hardware store blades . You can buy a cheap handle . That accepts them . Best part is you can easily carry several different blades into the woods . I have actually found the blades . Are tougher and last better .
Not a dry wall saw but a pruning saw. There are few grits and rock.

Top Bottom