The Accent (Companion) Plant Thread

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Had a accent plant demo Saturday, this is one I "threw together" at the demo.

Epidendrum centripetalum & generic, Walmart fern
Pot is Furumoto Masahi lillypad pot with frog. The pot is a "low end piece" by a famous Potter, wasn't expensive.

I need to dust or launder the backdrop, getting awful dusty.

I think for health I'll move the moss ball to a shallow Sara Raynor suiban. It's more rugged and holds a little more water. The Lilly pad feels delicate and brittle.
IMG_20200224_144031338.jpg

IMG_20200224_143736391.jpg

I'm pleased, looks good even though it's only 48 hours as a kusamono.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5484DABB-00D3-48B7-BB26-F347F39C3D89.jpeg

These are Red Huckleberry, Vaccinium parvifolium. I think they’re from a northern part of the Coast Range in Oregon. I’ve seen them over 10 feet tall and they’ll make woody growth over time.

The left plant shows the finer detailed twigging these put on. I only trimmed the longest extensions.

The right plant was collected at the same time from the same source. This is its first potting. I removed a lot of the tiny growths to reduce reverse taper and so the main branches will put on some girth.

The pot is by a BSOP member.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is something my daughter picked.

Kalanchoe, a cousin to Jade and from Madagascar. They flower for a few months every year and do get woody like Jade.

She will not let me change this pot though! 🤩

20200224_210426.jpg
20200224_210344.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83, how do you get yours to bloom? I find that the more I water them, the more the grow, but I can't get them to bloom...
I don't do anything special, it's just a plant I keep in my office at work. Gets light from a southern window, watered once a week. It's planted in Miracle-Gro cactus and succulent soil, but I've never fertilized it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Slid the same orchid & fern moss ball over to a Sara Raynor suiban. Still holding up.

IMG_20200225_163747049.jpg

The orchid, Epidendrum centripetalum, is a really good choice for kusamono for northern states and Pacific Northwest. It is a cool to intermediate grower, dislikes long runs of 90 F ( +32 C) temperatures. Night temps 50 to 65 F and daytime about 10 to 15 degrees warmer than night is ideal. It is pretty forgiving, if you get it's preferences met 8 months out of 12 months a year it will usually thrive. Bright shade, and more or less evenly moist. That's all it needs. It likes sun only if it has good air movement at the same time. In still air, leaves sun burn quickly.

Flowers last 3+ months. It can bloom off and on year round.

Top Bottom