The Accent (Companion) Plant Thread

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok here are a few for you. A sedum that I got from @Martin Sweeney on FB so cute. Third one is brass buttons, and mondo grass in a very nice pot that I can't decide which side to show. I like the feet so much, and they are offset from the front so much that I like seeing the one in front better I think. Next is a horsetail that is not dwarf enough cut back and new stalks just starting, and last is some sort of marginal water plant don't know what, got it from a wet area here.
P1020924.jpgP1020925.jpgP1020926.jpgP1020927.jpgP1020928.jpgP1020929.jpg[/QUOTE]

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I so love this one, the color coordination is stunning as well as the texture combo. Love...
Here is one in a Kurama stone pot.
View attachment 200601

Thanks. Your planting is really nice - I'd normally think the burl was too thick, and overpowering it, but the height works well with the trailing plant.

Hosta to make the post legit...

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sedum Japonicum 'Tokyo Sun' filling the pot well:
20180709_155732.jpg

A wild dianthus, corsican mint, and a sedum in a broken terracotta pot:
20180709_155936.jpg

Pilea Microphylla. Dropped some leaves after going in this smaller pot by Eimei but it's greening back up.
20180709_160616.jpg

A sedum piece I rooted in this stone. Now it just needs to grow out.
20180709_155133.jpg

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
This one died since my room mate didn't water quite as I asked him to.
DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

This next one died last year. Tried bluet again this year, but somehow can't seem to keep them alive.

Bluet.JPG

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know if this qualifies as an accent (it's about 15"x 3"), it's close.
View attachment 200731

More of a stand-alone kusamono rather than an accent I'd have thought. What is it - dwarf bamboo and hosta?

I'd like to see that arrangement on a much shallower pot / slab / tray (even if it means mounding the soil). I like the composition a lot, but I think the pot is much too heavy and overpowering (even when the plants grow out a bit more).

I've got a couple of bamboo plantings growing out too but they're not ready yet, so in the meantime here's another Hosta (Tiny Tears) which I don't *think* I've posted here before... I lose track.\

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More of a stand-alone kusamono rather than an accent I'd have thought. What is it - dwarf bamboo and hosta?

I'd like to see that arrangement on a much shallower pot / slab / tray (even if it means mounding the soil). I like the composition a lot, but I think the pot is much too heavy and overpowering (even when the plants grow out a bit more).

I've got a couple of bamboo plantings growing out too but they're not ready yet, so in the meantime here's another Hosta (Tiny Tears) which I don't *think* I've posted here before... I lose track.\

The pot is too large, but it was sitting around doing nothing. It is very long and narrow. hard to use for much. Also have a bunch of Ying Tak rock just hanging around too.

The plants are dwarf bamboo and two varieties of mini hosta. The first one on the left is extremely dwarf. Can't remember the exact name, but the leaves are about an inch or so.

Top Bottom