The Art of Bonsai Show, September 15th, 2019

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I take it that's your tree at the Hidden Lake Bonsai Show? Very nice!
Hahaha no that's not ours. I should've clarified. Just one of the exhibits. I thought the kids looked cute in that one 😄

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I believe I recognize that tree as belonging to one Bill Cadman. And, I'm pretty sure it won Best of Show at Meijer Gardens this May. Passable tree...

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I thought the Tim priest tree win best of show in Grand rapids.

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_133427973.jpg
    IMG_20190511_133427973.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 49

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You're right! I'm racking my brain to think of what award Bill won with his tree...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I asked Bill again, and it was “Best of Show” and the Flower Market “Best Native Species”. That giant Scots won in 2018 maybe? Tim Priest has an enviable stable and is always in the running with spectacular trees. Then, there's Mark Fields...

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I got a pretty cool tree at the Grand rapids show this May

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I need material like that where you guys go beside the flower market for trees
I don't understand. You're close to the Flower Market and it has the best stock in the state. Telly Nursery in Troy and Bonsai House on Inkster in Westland? has larger stock sometimes, but you have to haunt these places and get it before somebody else sees it. There will be vendors at every show. Last year I got lucky at Hidden Lake. MSU people had two unusual cut leaf American Beech cuttings in #3 1/2 bags and sold them for $40 each. Next to that, you have to get lucky at a club auction.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't understand. You're close to the Flower Market and it has the best stock in the state. Telly Nursery in Troy and Bonsai House on Inkster in Westland? has larger stock sometimes, but you have to haunt these places and get it before somebody else sees it. There will be vendors at every show. Last year I got lucky at Hidden Lake. MSU people had two unusual cut leaf American Beech cuttings in #3 1/2 bags and sold them for $40 each. Next to that, you have to get lucky at a club auction.
I go to the flower market all the time. I have most of my trees from them. I was just seeing if there is anything out there i am missing. I am trying to find more places to visit I went to the hidden gardens last year lots of nice trees just extremely expensive. I am looking any where within 7 to 8 hours of drive just though i would ask.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice cheap bonsai are as scarce as gold plated hen's teeth. MABA may help.

Top Bottom