The Art of Shaping a Bonsai Tree by Ryan Neil

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't mind a mini version of the trees in that huge bolder planting. That was stunning...and impressive. To see him next to it...was so amazing to have a visual on video. Wow!

Reactions: Vin

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He is a bonsai professional. I would expect him to talk passionately about his craft. You just happen to be interested in the same thing.

Anyone interested in a video about me and thongs?
No.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I clicked on the 9/11 memorial tree video. Interesting.

Not that.....well, that's politics.

Same as Bonzai!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I clicked on the 9/11 memorial tree video. Interesting.

Not that.....well, that's politics.

Same as Bonzai!

Sorce
I have watched about ten other videos on the Nat Geo site and there are some interesting ones for sure.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The title suggested he would talk about shaping a tree. Seemed to me to be about his experience and what shaped his views and approach. The "Armstrong" comment? I'm merely alluding to the similarities among all individuals with very focused goals. And having the resourses available to completely channel all one's energy towards achieving said goal. No malice towards the subject profiled, like I said, I thought it would be about actually shaping a tree!! If it came across as cynical, that surely was not my intent.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The title suggested he would talk about shaping a tree. Seemed to me to be about his experience and what shaped his views and approach. The "Armstrong" comment? I'm merely alluding to the similarities among all individuals with very focused goals. And having the resourses available to completely channel all one's energy towards achieving said goal. No malice towards the subject profiled, like I said, I thought it would be about actually shaping a tree!! If it came across as cynical, that surely was not my intent.
Okay, let's put the film in perspective for a moment. The Art of Shaping a Bonsai is a title that National Geographic gave it for their short video series. The actual title of the film is American Shokunin (craftsmen/artisan). The film appears to be made to promote The Artisans Cup. On a personal level, I can relate to the feelings Ryan expresses throughout the film. I've not heard many in our community express those feeling so eloquently. I plan on creating a study group locally and this short film will start things off. It will be interesting to see how folks not familiar with bonsai view it.

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I saw this video a year or so ago...seeing it again makes me want to move to Oregon.

Oregon seems to be becoming the Omiya Village of the states. Should the next phase be the same apprentice system they have in Japan???

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oregon seems to be becoming the Omiya Village of the states. Should the next phase be the same apprentice system they have in Japan???
More specifically Portland, OR = Omiya.
And, the 'next phase' has been going on for several years now.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my opinion, it has been a bit exhausting hearing the interpretations from others about Ryan's motives behind the Artisan's Cup. To hear his story and what drove him to create one of the most anticipated and talked about bonsai events in years was an "Ah Huh" moment for me. The interview is in his own words so you either believe him or you don't. I'm a believer and an admirer for what it's worth.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Ironically, a good portion of how Mr. Neils energy and dream has evolved and been shaped, has been, like most ambitious and high reaching things, prodded and refined and guided by the gentle hand of adoring spouse.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ironically, a good portion of how Mr. Neils energy and dream has evolved and been shaped, has been, like most ambitious and high reaching things, prodded and refined and guided by the gentle hand of adoring spouse.
Very cool!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...and very rich parents....

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
...and very rich parents....
Ahh, well, no doubt, but coming to know Ryan, even in a cursory way, his pride and shrewdness undoubtably threw a governor on just how much her family money and influence would be involved. I think Chelsea's high standards of how to do business, faith in her beau, and personal sophistication was the primary influencers....but now I am flat gossiping I guess. One thing for sure is as standards rise in bonsai, good material, good teaching and good associated stuff will (has) become vastly more valuable and this, my dear Smokette, will become the primary symptom of the change.

Top Bottom