The artist formerly known as....

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That may be true, but a person using his/hers own real name is less likely to act like the kind of ass they may really be when not able to hide behind a pseudonym. The point is; on the NET it is easy to say the kind of things that would get you a punch in the nose, if said face to face; even more so from behind some fake moniker.

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Bravo Rusty! I appreciate your change.

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To browbeat the issue forcing others to use real names or whatever lacks understanding.

:D

Last edited:

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bravo Rusty! I appreciate your change.

Thank you . It was just something that I felt compelled to do. The old handle was a knock off of my screen name on bT , nclivingwaters. People took to calling me nc, which in turn became insee when I registered here. I have never been fond of nicknames, nor ever had one ( yes, Rusty is my given 1st name, not a nickname), so I asked myself why in the hell did I give myself one !? Switching to my real name has brought forward some pretty interesting thoughts to this thread, those that advocate real names only, those that support ones right to choose a screen name. I really don't care either way, but if were forced to choose a camp, I believe people should be able to be called whatever they choose. It does bring to mind a scene in the movie Pulp Fiction, where Butch ( Bruce Willis) is asked by the cab driver what his name meant, he responded " I'm American honey, our names don't mean shit".

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That may be true, but a person using his/hers own real name is less likely to act like the kind of ass they may really be when not able to hide behind a pseudonym. The point is; on the NET it is easy to say the kind of things that would get you a punch in the nose, if said face to face; even more so from behind some fake moniker.

'Tis my short temper, and my desire to defend myself or speak my mind that may or may not bring out the ass in me , not a psuedonym. If someone is really an ass, that is who I want to know, real name or not. I have to disagree with you Vance that using a real name allows us to benefit from a "watered down" version of the ass people really are.

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Is Rusty a nickname for Russell? My 'screen' name (Ashbarns) is really Ashley Barns, it's just that my agent thought that I might get better roles. Alas, he is still getting 10% of nothing.

Ash

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hmmm. Graydon is my first name, it's a family thing. But if you know me in person and converse with me I go by Charlie. So I guess my point is in real life I go by a nick name and not my real name that I chose to go here... go figure.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I haven't noticed a larger degree of restraint by those using their real names... I suppose its their real name, but who knows?

PS Actually Bonsai Barry is my real name... you can call be Mr. Barry if you choose.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope, Rusty is my full first name.

I used to know a guy who went by the name of Rusty, but his last name was Rust. Of course, his first name was either Shirley or Sherley, so being retired military, I suppose it made sense.;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Pseudonyms have no bearing on what is said by the speaker. What bothers people is that they have no idea who they are being flamed by. That tends to be more of a problem for the flamee rather then the flamer. The best solution in that case is don't say something so stupid that gets people flaming upset with you. I think thats pretty simple. Real trouble makers that tend to not conform to the discussion page majority do not last long anyway. Case in point of Professor at BT and King Kong here at the nut. Mostly they are just trouble makers and never add anything substitive anyway.

I have no problem telling someone to their face that their tree is crap.... If I am asked for my opinion I give it, truth hurts sometimes. I have been known to be a little more easy going with children and those just starting out, of course thats a respect thing that most of the time should be well deserved.

Would you type any different had we known you all these years as Vance Mugo?

probably not...Al

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm inspired. Maybe I should change to my real name

Marc Four Mile

As I stagger into the room adjusting my sunglasses ...

"Hey look, there's MFM!"

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Pseudonyms have no bearing on what is said by the speaker. What bothers people is that they have no idea who they are being flamed by. That tends to be more of a problem for the flamee rather then the flamer. The best solution in that case is don't say something so stupid that gets people flaming upset with you. I think thats pretty simple. Real trouble makers that tend to not conform to the discussion page majority do not last long anyway. Case in point of Professor at BT and King Kong here at the nut. Mostly they are just trouble makers and never add anything substitive anyway.

I have no problem telling someone to their face that their tree is crap.... If I am asked for my opinion I give it, truth hurts sometimes. I have been known to be a little more easy going with children and those just starting out, of course thats a respect thing that most of the time should be well deserved.

Would you type any different had we known you all these years as Vance Mugo?

probably not...Al

Probably not but with one slight difference. I never tell anyone their tree is crap. I have told people that they are wasting their time with a crap species but that's different from telling them their efforts are crap. I respect hard work and dedication; with the exception of the truly gifted incompetent, those who excel in the wrong direction as profoundly as those who ascend to greatness, everyone else can learn to make better bonsai given enough time and effort.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably not but with one slight difference. I never tell anyone their tree is crap. I have told people that they are wasting their time with a crap species but that's different from telling them their efforts are crap. I respect hard work and dedication; with the exception of the truly gifted incompetent, those who excel in the wrong direction as profoundly as those who ascend to greatness, everyone else can learn to make better bonsai given enough time and effort.

You may be right....or you may be kidding yourself. You may say you never call a persons tree crap but you may be thinking it. I just have the guts to say it. Of course it becomes necessary to sometimes justify your reasoning for calling someones efforts crap if you don't have a suggestion for making it better. If you don't then you may be right about not calling someones work crap.

Al

Last edited:

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To Vance, and Al

First and foremost, thankyou to the both of you. You have both been influential on my fledgling bonsai career. Secondly, you both make valid points. You are both prominent in the bonsai community, and I know you both by your first and last names, and could probably manage to send you both a letter by the USPS.

For some, I understand the reasoning on "trying" to keep identities protected in this day and age. But, also realize that even if you sign up in person and fill out forms, that info is in a computer and available to the people who want it. Either way, if you are involved enough, people know who you are.

Vance, I think your argument about family name holds major weight. As far as you know, your ASS-HEADED-NESS on a bonsai forum, could be permanent record for eternity. ex/ (5th grade project on family lineage) Wow, your Great-great-great grandpa (Keppler/Wood) grew some great bonsai for an ornary opininated S.O.B. Who didn't mind droppin F-BOMBS (ASUS?) all charachters are fictional, any similarities to actual persons is completly coincidence.

After reading this thread, I am inspired to be called by me given name . (a pm will be sent to nut) Lastly, I think you can both be crochety old sons a bithches. I'd love to sit and have a chat with you both for that reason alone. (over your beverage of choice) I'll have beer.

Sincere thanks for all of your contributions, and speaking your minds over the years to the both of you. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has benifited from your time and efforts to encourage the art.

Respectfully yours,

David Patrick Alexander

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
he said sons-o-bitches.....

hehe...

Top Bottom