The Bad Weather

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I hope everyones trees are doing fine with all the bad weather we have experienced across the country. I hope Harry and his trees weren't damaged by the tornado in OK. I think the wind is the worst!.

Sincerely,

DaveV.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
No doubt.. I had to turn my bathroom into a humidity room for 2 days cuz the wind was so bad here.. My maples like a little wind, but not 60 mph gusts..

Don

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Had all the wind and rain, along with 27 to 95 temps, this spring has been a strange one.

Harry, you got your storm cellar in order?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Sent the wife down first to kill all the Fiddlebacks, she got five. Everything is ok here, they we're predicting baseball size hail, needless to say that would put me out of the bonsai hobby. I brought all my trees in the house. They did survive these in my shade house, the shade cloth was loose enough to absorb the force of hail, but not baseball, or softball size. I hate Oklahoma in May. They can play hell with your car too.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC00437.JPG
    DSC00437.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00440.JPG
    DSC00440.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sent the wife down first to kill all the Fiddlebacks, she got five. Everything is ok here, they we're predicting baseball size hail, needless to say that would put me out of the bonsai hobby. I brought all my trees in the house. They did survive these in my shade house, the shade cloth was loose enough to absorb the force of hail, but not baseball, or softball size. I hate Oklahoma in May. They can play hell with your car too.

keep it green,
Harry

Holy SHI*!! Scrap the Caddy Clyde.. Sorry to see that Harry.. I just had some paintless dent removal done from hail.. There were only 4 little dents tho..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My condolences. That is a HUGE hailstone.

FWIW, we had frost here yesterday morning. The average last frost date here in N.Va. is April 15. It was down to the high thirties again last night.

I didn't move anything in, so I have my fingers crossed nothing got zapped.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Normally I'm of the same mind after April 15th. However when I let the dog out last night around 11, I thought to myself ...DANG ITS COLD! So the entire family scrambled in the dark to bring in Tridents that were late bloomers...buds just opening. The rest of liftable trees were tucked under benches.

My fears were confirmed this morning when I got the morning paper....A heavy coating of frost on the grass and vehicles. Good luck Mark..hope your trees fair well.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
My condolences. That is a HUGE hailstone.

FWIW, we had frost here yesterday morning. The average last frost date here in N.Va. is April 15. It was down to the high thirties again last night.

There have been hail stones the size of softballs, I've never seen any, thank goodness, a friend did and they come through the roof, the ceiling into your house and damage your furniture if they hit anything. The caddy belonged to a friend visiting, they didn't total it, it was three months old and cost $17,000 to repair it.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC00441.JPG
    DSC00441.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00442.JPG
    DSC00442.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 52

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My brother lives in Dallas. It hailed like this the first day after he bought a brand new Mustang...He was out with his wife in their other car when it started.. couldn't get home in time to get it into the garage. Thing looked like a golf ball afterwards...

Tom,

Things look OK. Even the tridents. No drooping or blackened foliage . It may take another couple of days before I'm positive nothing happened.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
when i saw the oklahoma tornado pics on the news this morning, first thing that pop in my head was, " i hope harry's trees were ok". that's kinda weird. :D glad your trees were ok.....and you too & the mrs harry:p

eric

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No hail storms here - but we have had frost every night for weeks. All my little japanese maples are leafed out and all. They seem to be weathering it ok .... :)

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
when i saw the oklahoma tornado pics on the news this morning, first thing that pop in my head was, " i hope harry's trees were ok". that's kinda weird. :D glad your trees were ok.....and you too & the mrs harry:p

eric

Thank you for your concern.

keep it green,
Harry

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok ...so Marc's post made me get motivated and go check the trees that there was no room in the Inn for. Today has been raining, cold .... and just plain miserable. Sure enough frost damage on a hornbeam. While the exterior foliage got fried the interior leaves look good. Been a strange year weather wise...its worked in my favor up to this point.

Attachments

• jspb_frost_damage_003r.jpg
    jspb_frost_damage_003r.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 43
  • jspb_frost_damage_002r.jpg
    jspb_frost_damage_002r.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 45

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
condolences Tom. I'm afraid to look at some of my trees...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Was out at 11:30 last night either moving them in or under the tables, then reverse again this morning, 27 here this morning. Too many either newly potted, new wiring, or just tempremental (tridents) thought about letting em tough it out but decided that I didn't have enough yet to be so cavalier. Not that I intimate you guys were cavalier, I realize your situations with sheer numbers and or size, this has been a tough spring for a bunch of us . I did think about hosing every thing down so the water would freeze instaed of the trees, but my lawn mower did in my nozzle, and I haven't needed to use the hose as of yet so I still don't have a hose to use.
Hope ya'll fare well.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Was out at 11:30 last night either moving them in or under the tables, then reverse again this morning, 27 here this morning. Too many either newly potted, new wiring, or just tempremental (tridents) thought about letting em tough it out but decided that I didn't have enough yet to be so cavalier. Not that I intimate you guys were cavalier, I realize your situations with sheer numbers and or size, this has been a tough spring for a bunch of us . I did think about hosing every thing down so the water would freeze instaed of the trees, but my lawn mower did in my nozzle, and I haven't needed to use the hose as of yet so I still don't have a hose to use.
Hope ya'll fare well.

I try to warn you guys about those D trees, but you won't listen. You need to keep it green......:rolleyes:

keep it green,
Harry

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
there was a tornado in OKC ? Really ? Didn't think one of those things could form anywhere near Harry. Glad you're OK buddy. Too bad about the Caddy.....now if it had been a F-150 that would have been a real tragedy ?

BTW , there's a dust storm bloqwing here right now but we never get real tornados.

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My brother lives in Dallas. It hailed like this the first day after he bought a brand new Mustang...He was out with his wife in their other car when it started.. couldn't get home in time to get it into the garage. Thing looked like a golf ball afterwards...

The worst hailstorm I ever saw the aftermath of was in Paris, IL. My dad was helping rip out the carpet from water damage in a house that got clobbered. He drove us 45 miles to see it. During the storm, the wind was apparently blowing very hard and the hail was softball-sized. It hit the front of the house with enough force to make holes through the siding and probably a bit deeper. The entire front of the house was like a Wiffle ball.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Harry even C trees with nice soft new buds/candles don't like to get frosty, especially the newly potted ones in little pots. Even the hardy larch with new needles is at risk.

We had a nasty hail storm here many moons ago, only golf ball sized, but most cars around the area ended up looking like golf balls , they had so many dimples. Insurance co's went to DC and cried, and so it was an act of God that we all had to pay for, except the Insurance Co.'s. They hurt like a SOB if you were dumb enough to get out to get whacked:eek:

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Even here in Northern California, the Sierra foothills, weather has been a bummer, late spring rain and hail, have had an effect on my trees.

Top Bottom