ALSO REMOVED
jpg_004.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why so long before possession Chris? I thought the tree was a lot bigger than what is listed. With plucking and energy re-distribution you have a beaut in the making.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting purchase Chris.

How long ago did Marco Invernizzi style the tree, if you know? Was it worked on since Marco styled it? The pot appears to be Chinese, do you know?

How much? ;)

Will

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
I am looking forward to when you get it as I would like to see some better pictures of it. Any measurments?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
We won't discuss price.

Come on, if you were selling it, you would certainly tell us the price, why does buying it dictate different rules? :D

My guess would be, for this tree, 200.00 and we'll add another hundred for the attached name, bringing it to about 300 beaver skins, give or take a string of glass beads.

Will

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is indeed in bad taste to ask anyone what they pay for something, not just in bonsai. If the owner choses to mention what he paid for it, then that is a different story.

I am not trying to be harsh here, I'm just repeating what has been said time and time again. Prices are avoided because folks pay what they think the tree is worth, not what it is worth. Although I doubt Chris will ever sell this tree, it has everything to do with re-sale value.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Will, but 300.00 will only get you to have a peek at this one.:D
Anything under 600.00 and the tree was probably stolen and the thief was probably trying to unload it fast.:)

Seriously though, this past spring and summer I've seen some stunning shohin JBP that went from 600.00 up to 4500.00. These you will not find cheap.;)

Thomas J.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Thomas,

Well at least we know it cost more than 400.00. ;)

Rick,

Sorry, I am in sales, asking the price is ingrained in me, bad taste or not...in my line of work, it is bad taste not to ask. Besides, our new members and those new to bonsai may find it educational to know what good stock goes for.

On the other hand, I see the point you are making, Chris may want to resell this someday so keeping the purchase price unknown would allow him to mark it up as he sees fit...and not disclosing the price effectively stops anyone from saying he paid too much, or got a great price.....

I have never bought bonsai that others have worked on, I perfer going it on my own and designing from the groundup, so to speak. Although I do not discourage those that do, to each their own, besides those that do make me very happy when I am vending. :D

Nice material, never-the-less, this should have a great future in Chris's hands.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come on, if you were selling it, you would certainly tell us the price, why does buying it dictate different rules? :D

My guess would be, for this tree, 200.00 and we'll add another hundred for the attached name, bringing it to about 300 beaver skins, give or take a string of glass beads.

Will

Which shows
  • a)how little you know about quality bonsai value and price and
  • 2) that even though I have expressed reluctance about a private matter, you still feel free to boorishly press ahead and
  • III) it's no one's business

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is indeed in bad taste to ask anyone what they pay for something, not just in bonsai. If the owner choses to mention what he paid for it, then that is a different story.

I am not trying to be harsh here, I'm just repeating what has been said time and time again. Prices are avoided because folks pay what they think the tree is worth, not what it is worth. Although I doubt Chris will ever sell this tree, it has everything to do with re-sale value.

I don't mind showing my trees, and I don't usually mind mentioning what I paid for a piece of prebonsai stock or other material. However, this tree is not mine yet, and it is fairly well known in certain circles. So it would be boorish of me to mention the price at the expense of its current owner. It's just rude.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Thomas,

Rick,

Sorry, I am in sales, asking the price is ingrained in me, bad taste or not...in my line of work, it is bad taste not to ask. Besides, our new members and those new to bonsai may find it educational to know what good stock goes for.

Will

Asking the price would be perfectly reasonable if I had offered this for sale or if we were considering trading, whether horses, cars, or bonsai. It is quite unreasonable in this instance because of the reasons mentioned before.

Reaction score
Wow I too would be waiting for a tree like that. It is a very beautiful little shohin (or is it just shohin?)

Looks like it has taken quite a bit of work to get it where it is now. Look forward to when you get it and show a some new pictures. Neat that Invernizzi styled it, he does good work.

Thanks for sharing that Chris, good to see nice pines like that.

Reaction score
Price has nothing to do with a bonsai, unless you are buying or selling. Would a tree that had a tag of $25,000 on it mean that it is better than one with a tag of $20,000, no it would not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is why price tags are not on trees at a show, it just doesnt matter, it is the visual effect that matters.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Will

mind telling me your annual income?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Which shows
  • a)how little you know about quality bonsai value and price and
  • 2) that even though I have expressed reluctance about a private matter, you still feel free to boorishly press ahead and
  • III) it's no one's business

• a) I already said I never have, and most likely never will buy pre-styled bonsai.
  • 2) could you show me where you expressed reluctance?
  • III) So much for education.

Sorry.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
We won't discuss price. I'm not sure how long it has been since Marco originally styled this one. Boon and the owner repotted it this year with a new front but did not remove any branches. And the pot is oldish but I'm not sure if it's Chinese or Japanese. I am assuming it is Chinese.

Will

Hi Thomas,

Rick,

On the other hand, I see the point you are making, Chris may want to resell this someday so keeping the purchase price unknown would allow him to mark it up as he sees fit...and not disclosing the price effectively stops anyone from saying he paid too much, or got a great price.....

I have never bought bonsai that others have worked on, I perfer going it on my own and designing from the groundup, so to speak. Although I do not discourage those that do, to each their own, besides those that do make me very happy when I am vending. :D

Nice material, never-the-less, this should have a great future in Chris's hands.

Will

• a) I already said I never have, and most likely never will buy pre-styled bonsai.
  • 2) could you show me where you expressed reluctance?
  • III) So much for education.

Sorry.

Will

How's that?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
a) I already said I never have, and most likely never will buy pre-styled bonsai.

That doesn't excuse ignorance of value or even any respect for such.

2) could you show me where you expressed reluctance?

Already handled that one.

III) So much for education.

Your education about what I pay for a tree is not my responsibility. I don't ask you what you paid for your house, or your truck, or anything you own. If you want to volunteer that it is a completely different matter. I wish you'd open your mind to the idea that someone else might not like to be asked questions like that.

Are you?

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Come on Fellas let it go....
Can we agree to disagree again?
Let's not step backward.
Respect the rights of each other please.

I can see both sides of the argument..
If ya post the cost it opens the door for theft....
But ballpark figures does teach others the cost of Great Material....
Mom

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
Chris...I wish you would get a second job and get this paid off so that I could see some better pics of it... I in no way feel selfish for this request. lol

Top Bottom