0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bark, especially bark that has broken plates that make it look rugged, is a function of the amount of growth. High growth grows the internal diameter which breaks the outer, stiffer, less flexible bark. It works just like when we pork up and our bellies get too big to restrain with mere buttons on our shirts. "Bonsai mixes" are not very rich or intended to grow at high rates, they are intended to control or minimize growth to keep the tree approximately the same. Use a richer mix, allow more room for roots to grow, prune roots for growth rather than fitting into a smaller pot, allow a larger canopy with more leaves, maximize sun and concurrent watering, and fertilize more to get more growth.
You neglect the fact that in addition to the vascular cambium that we refer to as 'the cambium', there is a cork cambium outside the phloem and it, the cork cambium, produces the bulk of the bark (cork cells).

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Heres my bark photo. I bought this burl this year from a family friend. Its white Cedar collected from northern Minnesota. The whole thing is gigantic, too big for us to easily measure but the bark scales are like the sizes of various sport balls with a height of the scale being 8" or so in many places. and hard as stone.

I took these pics dropping it off at an artist friend's workshop who works on live edge stuff but we have since had to move it to a larger mill and I hope to get our cuts back shortly so we can see what we get back, there is only about 10-20% of the bark missing from the burl (likely indicating a small amount of rot) so we expect a lot of good material.

20190907_132804.jpg20190907_132758.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's big enough to hide aliens. Be careful...

hltkrgz

Seed
Reaction score
Austrian black pine collected this summer, cant wait to work on it in the upcoming years

Attachments

• D1727ABA-6869-40C1-97FF-2DB245DD9705.jpeg
    D1727ABA-6869-40C1-97FF-2DB245DD9705.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom