The beer bottle (or can) Bonsai Thread

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I like very much what you have done with this Juniper. I would like to offer a suggestion. You almost never see a first rate Juniper that does not have a degree of dead wood incorporated into the final image. I bring this up because it is obvious you decided to totally remove and basically flush cut the large branch. If the tree were mine I would have tried to find a way to cut and break and tear this branch in such a way to make it look as though the elements had removed the branch, not cut it off like some logger. Visible evidence of damage on a tree should not shout man made. It should say this is natural.

If you are looking to see this branch heal over and disappear from view it probably will not. If it does it will take twenty years. Junipers are possessed of a trait called dedicated archtecture meaning that each branch is associated with one set of roots. If you lose one large branch or portion of the tree the connected life line is going to die all the way to the ground for the most part, leaving you with the problem of dealing with the consequences.

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like very much what you have done with this Juniper. I would like to offer a suggestion. You almost never see a first rate Juniper that does not have a degree of dead wood incorporated into the final image. I bring this up because it is obvious you decided to totally remove and basically flush cut the large branch. If the tree were mine I would have tried to find a way to cut and break and tear this branch in such a way to make it look as though the elements had removed the branch, not cut it off like some logger. Visible evidence of damage on a tree should not shout man made. It should say this is natural.

If you are looking to see this branch heal over and disappear from view it probably will not. If it does it will take twenty years. Junipers are possessed of a trait called dedicated archtecture meaning that each branch is associated with one set of roots. If you lose one large branch or portion of the tree the connected life line is going to die all the way to the ground for the most part, leaving you with the problem of dealing with the consequences.

Thanks Vance; these are all things I know, but unfortunately, that branch had been cut off long before I acquired the stock (probably when it was dug out of the ground). It's a short stub now, and the plan is to carve that area next year and probably also Jin the lowest branch eventually.

I appreciate you taking the time :)

Edit: if it isn't obvious from the picture, that deadwood extends all the way to the base of the tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Can I add another suggestion. I am pretty sure there will be a good deal of die back from the cutting of that branch. Unless you are planing to show the tree sometime in the next couple of years I would not bother with trying to carve out the out the stub until you can determine how the die back is proceeding or receding down the trunk; then you can make the best moves for the the tree and do the jin work in a continuous event. I really like the design of the tree.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am pretty sure there will be a good deal of die back from the cutting of that branch.
I will just reiterate that the large branch was cut off years ago, before I owned the tree. There is no present issue of dieback.

Edit: Here is another view that will make the deadwood more obvious:
IMG_4901.JPG

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Cheers, but not the pot with the apple. ;)
That dead wood was what sucked me in, I figure I have to learn carving at some point and this could be a nice starter.
No idea if I have the right piece for my dremel though. Much reading to do.

I'll post up the other pot at beer o'clock and then I am out of trees and pots so will just post random beverages. :D

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who got one of these misguided, but well-meaning, presents.
the truth.jpg
I'll keep you posted on the "tree", but as John Kruk once said "Sadly, the beer is all gone"
The excellent IPA was a gift as well, so it evened out.
CW

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Come on Boys and girls...... as I know that there was a lot of sampling going on over the holidays....so let's see your newest "favourite"......here's one of mine...
After sapling a couple of these Thirsty Beaver's I'll be checking out others by the "Tree Brewing Co".... (hhhhmmmm Upright Formal conifer).
IMG_1054.JPG

Top Bottom