The Behr Bonsai Scholarship for 2010.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Behr Bonsai Scholarship is open to all world wide for 2010.

This fund provides $500.00(usd) dollars to study with an instructor of your choice. It even allows you to apply 25% of the fund to purchase material if you so desire.

This is free money to the person(s) that gets the scholarship(s). The only requirement is that you share what you learned with others, as per the instructions. This keeping with how Behr Appleby approached bonsai.

You can find information HERE about the scholarship or send an email with your questions to behrbonsaischolarship@bonsaivault.com

Now....the question remains

file.php

Who will you study with?

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I win the scholarship :D I think I'll study with Boon. Kimura would be great but I don't think he'd like my sense of humor.

JC

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Who got it last year?

Free money to be had and no one applied last year Irene.

When I win the scholarship :D I think I'll study with Boon. Kimura would be great but I don't think he'd like my sense of humor.
JC

Thats the spirit JC...That is what I call positive thinking. Boon would be a good choice for you. A side from your humor, the 500.00 wouldn't get you far if you were traveling to Japan :D

Wonder what Kimura's hourly rate is :rolleyes:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hello

Is there a deadline to submit? I will be applying!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yenling...deadline is end of year, Christmas to be exact. The scholarship will be awarded January 2011.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Free money to be had and no one applied last year Irene.

WOW!!!!! WHY NOT????

Thats the spirit JC...That is what I call positive thinking. Boon would be a good choice for you. A side from your humor, the 500.00 wouldn't get you far if you were traveling to Japan :D

Wonder what Kimura's hourly rate is :rolleyes:

Great idea JC!!!

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
wow I would strongly consider applying although I wouldn't know who to study with - not many teachers available here in Oregon...besides Ryan Neil, Mike Hagedorn, Dave Degroot, Joe Harris III =)

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
http://www.bonsaivault.com/The_Behr_Bonsai_Scholarship.html said:
Individuals interested in the scholarship should submit an application to Bonsai Vault. With the application the individual must submit a letter of approval from their chosen recognized artist / instructor verifying that the applicant meets the requirements of the scholarship to Behrbonsaischolarship@bonsaivault.com and intends to seek instruction.

Where are those requirements listed?

http://www.bonsaivault.com/The_Behr_Bonsai_Scholarship.html said:
The applicant must also post a minimum of two trees in the designated thread for this scholarship on Bonsai Vault which shall coincide with the application submission. These images must be high quality to show the seriousness and skill level of the individual. In that thread a summary should be included as to what the applicant intends to focus on with their chosen instructor, and who that person is.
Are those trees intended to represent what the applicant intends to work on w/ the instructor or simply to show their seriousness and photography?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The scholarship will be awarded to an individual(s) for the purpose of achieving a more advanced level of bonsai.
Wayne, this is the requirement for the scholarship...pretty simple and not to demanding. An instructor should/will recognize that the person applying is not a one shot wonder and has just gotten hot and bothered about bonsai recently. Meaning that they have not just run down to the local big box store and just picked up a nice ficus with rocks glued to the soil.

As far as the images go...it can be both. While photography is not an issue as far as being awarded the scholarship it sure helps sell your case if you have good images. The idea with images is to show your basic skills, eye for material and design.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Wayne, this is the requirement for the scholarship...pretty simple and not to demanding. An instructor should/will recognize that the person applying is not a one shot wonder and has just gotten hot and bothered about bonsai recently. Meaning that they have not just run down to the local big box store and just picked up a nice ficus with rocks glued to the soil.

As far as the images go...it can be both. While photography is not an issue as far as being awarded the scholarship it sure helps sell your case if you have good images. The idea with images is to show your basic skills, eye for material and design.

Can I study with Marco ?

keep it green,
Harry

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
wow I would strongly consider applying although I wouldn't know who to study with - not many teachers available here in Oregon...besides Ryan Neil, Mike Hagedorn, Dave Degroot, Joe Harris III =)

Geez, what more do you want??? Seriously, it looks like the Great Northwest is pretty well fixed for bonsai artists/teachers!

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As receipient of the Behr Bonsai Scholarship, I choose to Study with Walter Pall. Every Spring, Walter travels to Nature's Way Nursery, in Harrisburg, PA to work on his collection of yamadori that he keeps at the nursey. In addition to the workshops I had signed up for personally, I was able to utilize my scholarship to schedule personal instruction with Walter in the mornings and evenings.

The whole experience was fantastic, and I would like to thank all the individuals who contributed to create this fund in memory of Behr Appleby. I was able to gain knowledge from one of the great bonsai artists in a one on one setting, as well as, get hands on experience working with ancient trees ranging from hundreds to thousands of years old.

Dave

Attachments

• 100_0358.jpg
    100_0358.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0359.jpg
    100_0359.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_0361.jpg
    100_0361.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 49

Pine Barron

Yamadori
Reaction score
That is awesome. I miss Behr. I spent many hours chatting with him in the old BonsaiTalk chatroom. I am glad that the scholarship in his name went to Train Dave. I bet Mr. Appleby would have been proud.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is awesome. I miss Behr. I spent many hours chatting with him in the old BonsaiTalk chatroom. I am glad that the scholarship in his name went to Train Dave. I bet Mr. Appleby would have been proud.

Thanks, Glad you aprove.

bonsaiTom said:
Way to go Dave. You make us proud. Mohawk Valley Bonsai Club has a winner!!!

Tom, Thanks man! I'll see you Saturday at the meeting. We've lots to discuss.

Dave

Top Bottom