The best advice from bonsai masters youve gotten

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Just that. Post the best advice from a bonsai professional or other skilled hobbyists that you may have seen or heard that you would recommend for others.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just curious, given the timing of this thread, is this in any way related to another thread about a particular bird?

Never met any other hobbyists to date, and never met any pros either - does reading someone's book count?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Back when I was researching Ponderosa Pine...I watched a video from Ryan Neil...he made a comment of many love making two trees from one tree. When doing so, they ruin much character found in the material they have before them. He would rather one respect the years that went into the collected material...and try to work with what is there. Having one amazing specimen over two ordinary ones. I believe he was answering a question...which brought on that answer.

I did find that profound...because it's so done. Not that it can't be done...but one needs to really chew over if it's making a better visual...or, is it just adding trees to ones bench.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
We cut leaves in half to let air and light in but also reduce the amount of photosynthetic capability, and energy storage.-Ryan Neil

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
“I have killed more trees than you will ever own” -Bill Valavanis

Made me feel better about losing trees in the process to becoming a better bonsai artist. I still stress out about it a lot when I do lose one but I remember the first few I lost... man I lost sleep over those.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The only quote I hold close to heart is something like this
"Bonsai has guidelines, but no rules. Now go ahead and break that branch and make something out of what's left. Character doesn't come from make-up and hiding, it comes from scars and exposure."
I might have made that one up myself to justify poor methods though.

Oh and another one, done by Ryan, probably misquoted as well to justify something for myself:
"You have done great in design choices when half of the audience is positively amazed, and the other half is walking away shaking their heads."

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Make the smallest believable tree out of you have.

this is one of those i dont always agree with, sometimes in good material, there is more than one tree to be made and making the smallest tree wont always be the best use of the material. use wisely:cool:

Top Bottom