The best medium for starting seeds.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
What size rootmaker pots do you use for seed starting? When it's time to transplant, do you move to a larger rootmaker, or more traditional 3-4" pots?

I currently use the 60 cell version. Ideally, if you were keeping with the whole system you could bump into the bigger sizes. However, for me cost is a bit of an so they wind up in 3" containers to sell. My turnover is pretty good so they don't stay in the 3" for long.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great advice all around!
Now. How do you guys store seeds until time for planting?
Freezer? Refrigerator? Just toss them in a drawer until you're ready?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the refrigerator, however i do not store seeds for long periods. Because i have the ability to germinate any time of year. I normally obtain the seeds when needed and work with them right away. I have used a number of suppliers in the past but overall have had my most consistent results from Sheffield. Keep in mind the species i am working with are recommended for cooler storage, it will not be the case for all species. A cool dry place will work fine for lots of seed types.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use the "butter area" in my fridge. Definitely don't freeze them. And i love sheffields too but be aware of what year the seeds you're buying we collected. Most of their scots pine seed was collected in the early 90's. My research tells me they probably won't sprout

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jim Lewis said that maples were a no no on IBC
as they were most likely dead already.

Just did Celtis c. and Celtis a. Good germination.
Tried the eggplant that resembles an egg, pack in foil.
Nothing grew.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom