The best water wand?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just watered with my dollar store wand.
I can turn the hose on full pressure and control the volume at the wand with a valve on it.
I never do. It's all out with me.
It probably cost less than the head made by dramm.
And I'll let you in on a secret
My trees like the water from my cheap ash water wand as well as if it came out of a fancy one.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Try one of these. They make different models, I like the 2gpm the best. All I’ve ever used and love it. I may try one of the other things people talk of here to to compare, I’d like to try different things anyways..
You probably don’t want the foggit if you don’t like foliar parts of trees getting wet when you water. View attachment 198115
Would that work with an expandable hose, though?

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you get the dramm 1000 or the red head? They look exactly the same in the descriptions but if you find the dimensions the red head is smaller but still has 1000 holes
Woah, you're saying there's a difference? I didn't have a clue. Are these two actually different?

https://smile.amazon.com/Dramm-1100...&qid=1529856545&sr=8-1&keywords=dramm+redhead

https://smile.amazon.com/Dramm-Redh...&qid=1529856545&sr=8-2&keywords=dramm+redhead

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those expensive/fancy wands don't work well for me because our water pressure is a bit low. Plus I run long lengths of hose to get to where my trees are located, which further reduces the pressure. I get better results with the cheaper wands from lowes or home depot, the kind with the adjustable spray head that lets you choose between shower, mist, and a variety of other patterns. Add a valve at the base and it's easy to control the rate.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read in a review of the 1000 that it doesn't give enough pressure to force the water out of each hole. It sort of dribbles out.

I guess we'll find out!

I had an old plugged up galvanized water main at my old house that lost a bit of pressure every year. (Replaced it last year!)

By my last couple years I didn’t have even close to enough pressure to run a yard sprinkler of any kind, tried a few.
A typical water wand head wouldn’t work either, not even close. Foggit nozzles worked just fine. It possible that I wasn’t using the 2gpm at that point in time, may have still been one the 1gpm nozzle but in any case I’m sure an expanding hose would not be a problem.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep but I've found that those often fail before the rest of the wand, so I'll add a valve before attaching the wand to the hose.
Mines a year old.
I didn't even know it was there until 2 weeks ago. The water was barely coming out. I thought the pump was going or I ran the well dry.
Boy did I feel like an idiot once I saw the valve.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welp, that's a big fat nope for expandable hoses. Water came pouring out in a waterfall, not a soft stream. Womp womp.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think they are. I just happened to notice the product sizes when I was shopping on Amazon for them. IMG_7472.PNGIMG_7473.PNG
Sorry to hear that your didn't work with your hose. When mine eventually get here I'll check the smaller size out on my expandable hose and see how it goes

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You could make your own....https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/wand-work.28693/

My review of the Dram 1000PL water breaker nozzle....http://heartofdixiebonsai.com/compo...-dramm-1000pl-water-breaker-nozzle?Itemid=101

The only downfall of the Dram I have found so far is that they are made of plastic. Mine frozen during a cold snap and the ice pushed the steel screen out of the plastic, rendering it useless. Still a good head, I just make sure it is completely drained now before leaving it when watering in the winter.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think they are. I just happened to notice the product sizes when I was shopping on Amazon for them. View attachment 198145View attachment 198146
Sorry to hear that your didn't work with your hose. When mine eventually get here I'll check the smaller size out on my expandable hose and see how it goes
Hmm, I'm pretty sure those measurements are for the package. It may very well be different, but I know the 1000 I just got wasn't anywhere near 6 inches long. The packaging probably is, though.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I purchased the Dramm 1000 water breaker (red plastic one) and do not like it.
Unless you are using full water pressure the water doesn't separate into individual streams, but pours out like an open hose.
On full pressure it works as expected, but that's too much water volume for most potted plants, and it will wash away a lot of soil.
CW

I believe you are the first one I have ever heard that does not absolutely love them. I can tell you of all the things I cut corners on (and there are many) I will never be without my RedHead.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm, I'm pretty sure those measurements are for the package. It may very well be different, but I know the 1000 I just got wasn't anywhere near 6 inches long. The packaging probably is, though.
I thought that one was for the package but I wasn't sure about the other one. So I went with the one that was suggested (happened to have the smaller number too) At least I have two different types of hoses so I should be fine.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welp, that's a big fat nope for expandable hoses. Water came pouring out in a waterfall, not a soft stream. Womp womp.

Bummer. I tested my foggit nozzle at low pressure by turning the shutoff valve just now. It still gives good gentle spray action at lower pressure. Eventually starts to dribble but your expandable hose can’t be that bad. There’s also a point turning the pressure down when the action is still good but volume delivery would make watering painfully slow.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bummer. I tested my foggit nozzle at low pressure by turning the shutoff valve just now. It still gives good gentle spray action at lower pressure. Eventually starts to dribble but your expandable hose can’t be that bad. There’s also a point turning the pressure down when the action is still good but volume delivery would make watering painfully slow.
Hmmm, sounds like maybe I should try a foggit nozzle. Thanks! How long does it take to really saturate the soil? Is it like a grocery store vegetable mister, or does it come out with more volume?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm, sounds like maybe I should try a foggit nozzle. Thanks! How long does it take to really saturate the soil? Is it like a grocery store vegetable mister, or does it come out with more volume?

It’s not too bad, 2 gallons per minute gives a pretty good idea.

It probably is a bit slower, I tried the 4gpm nozzle because I have a few extra large boxes with masses of substrate kicking about here. The 4gpm is a bit rough on soil surfaces. The possibility of speeding up the watering time is the only reason I would like to sometime try some of the things others recommend in the thread. If your collection isn’t huge with lots of huge containers it’s good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tried the dramm 1000pl and it needs to be in full pressure to spray properly. Its good for my big trees but for my shohin and pot without moss. Its taking out soil so im thinking of returning it.

Did i purchase the wrong one?

Top Bottom