The best water wand?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Tried the dramm 1000pl and it needs to be in full pressure to spray properly. Its good for my big trees but for my shohin and pot without moss. Its taking out soil so im thinking of returning it.

Did i purchase the wrong one?
Somewhere on one of these water wand threads, I've posted pictures comparing how far the ball valve needs to be on a Masakuni wand and a Dramm 1000 Redhead. The Masakuni breaks the water more effectively at less pressure. There are multiple instances of others reiterating exactly your experience w/ the Dramm 1000. Mine as well.

If I had to put numbers to it, I'd say at 10% open, the masakuni is effectively breaking the water up. The dramm at about 40%. (I use a quick release after the ball valve, so its the same for Masakuni & Dramm wands.)

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tried the dramm 1000pl and it needs to be in full pressure to spray properly. Its good for my big trees but for my shohin and pot without moss. Its taking out soil so im thinking of returning it.

The Dramm "Red Head" needs more pressure than the Masakuni or the Joshua Roth because of the huge area covered by the holes. A better Dramm alternative is the 480 either PL (plastic) or AL (Aluminum), but it is hard to find with free shipping, making the price almost as much as a Joshua Roth wand.

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A

Hey pamboys09,

I have the same experience with the 1000. I love it for larger trees, grow pots/boxes and landscape/gardening. But, absolutely tears up substrate on smaller trees. I bought the 9 pattern breaker, so I could use it to spray foliage with a stronger stream and found the rain selection to be much better at watering smaller trees. It’s $10.00 on Amazon and it’s worth it, Dramm 13200 Rainselect Spray Head.

FWIW I also use their brass ball valve with another manufacturer’s brass quick connect between the wand and valve, it’s nice to control the volume and not have to unscrew the wand if I want to use another attachment. Aaaand no leaks! I got so tired of getting wet every time I watered so, I’m beyond happy with the setup. Hope this helps!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Dramm "Red Head" needs more pressure than the Masakuni or the Joshua Roth because of the huge area covered by the holes. A better Dramm alternative is the 480 either PL (plastic) or AL (Aluminum), but it is hard to find with free shipping, making the price almost as much as a Joshua Roth wand.
I had this water pressure problem too. I tried 2 different Dramms, one with the higher pressure handle and one without. The water just comes out in a big thick drop.. it doesn't have enough pressure to push through all the holes.
I have tried it in 2 houses now, with 3 different types of hose!!

I have had a whole nightmare with finding a good water wand.. never found a great solution yet.
Had a good one sent from a member of this forum, very well built, by him. Its just a more pressure sprayer, not a drench/waterfall type thing, unfortunately.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have used the DRAMM 1000 and agree with others - too much pressure is required, making it useless for watering individual trees. It only works for "broadcasting" water over an entire bench from several feet away.

Recently, I purchased two Fogg-It nozzles - the 2gpm and the 4gpm - and have used them on my Dramm one-touch wand. I have not been very happy with either one. The 2gpm model is too fine a spray for watering. (Great for misting foliage though!) The 4gpm suffers the same problem as the Dramm 1000. It just blasts water at the tree, and works best at broadcasting.

the Masakuni or the Joshua Roth

I have *almost* purchased the Masakuni before. Now I have the Joshua Roth on order. It sure looks from the photos like it is made by the same manufacturer as the Masakuni, or at least a very good imitation. Are they the same?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have used the DRAMM 1000 and agree with others - too much pressure is required, making it useless for watering individual trees. It only works for "broadcasting" water over an entire bench from several feet away.

Recently, I purchased two Fogg-It nozzles - the 2gpm and the 4gpm - and have used them on my Dramm one-touch wand. I have not been very happy with either one. The 2gpm model is too fine a spray for watering. (Great for misting foliage though!) The 4gpm suffers the same problem as the Dramm 1000. It just blasts water at the tree, and works best at broadcasting.

I have *almost* purchased the Masakuni before. Now I have the Joshua Roth on order. It sure looks from the photos like it is made by the same manufacturer as the Masakuni, or at least a very good imitation. Are they the same?
I did a research on the Japanese websites and the diffuser that is sold for the Masakuni is recommended for the Kikuwa as well (identical to the Joshua Roth without the valve or threads)

Dramm's Fogg-It nozzle are not good for watering, I have the 2 and 6 GPM, and the pattern is too wide.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Let me know how the Joshua Roth Hose works.

Im a fan of Joshua Roth and majority of my tools are from them.

Dave704

Seedling
Reaction score
I have found my Inadequate pressure problems were aided by:
1)Dramm Yellow Head low flow head
Dramm also makes a small diameter water breaker for seedlings
2)Dramm 1/4 turn shutoff valve, The brass one has a larger pass through hole than the Big Box store plastic ones that come on wands. Flow is dependent by both pressure and hole size.
3) I made my own wand from DIY store PVC plumbing parts using a 1", 1/4 turn valve. Plenty of flow for my 60 PSI well. I also made a wand with 2, 120 degree elbows and a short piece in between to hold on to as a handle, with a strap for the forearm. This reduced the pressure on the wrist for a friend with Carpal Tunnel syndrome.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I had this water pressure problem too. I tried 2 different Dramms, one with the higher pressure handle and one without. The water just comes out in a big thick drop.. it doesn't have enough pressure to push through all the holes.
I have tried it in 2 houses now, with 3 different types of hose!!

I have had a whole nightmare with finding a good water wand.. never found a great solution yet.
Had a good one sent from a member of this forum, very well built, by him. Its just a more pressure sprayer, not a drench/waterfall type thing, unfortunately.
I have had similar issues with water pressure I paid £400 to replace the pipe from the mains water to my house with a larger diameter pipe. That fixed the problem for me plus I don't have to wait very long for the toilet to refill after flushing & I can now use more than one hot tap at a time without noticeable pressure loss. My water bill has gone up though and my water pressure will blow cheap hose fittings apart so I had to upgrade my hose.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have had similar issues with water pressure I paid £400 to replace the pipe from the mains water to my house with a larger diameter pipe. That fixed the problem for me plus I don't have to wait very long for the toilet to refill after flushing & I can now use more than one hot tap at a time without noticeable pressure loss. My water bill has gone up though and my water pressure will blow cheap hose fittings apart so I had to upgrade my hose.
Oh interesting.. not something id look to do in this house, as I dont look to be here over 5 years really and its not a big enough problem for me (spent a lot working on the house), but thats cool.

Sounds like a thing you'd have to contact the council to have done? As its their pipes and land.
Or perhaps water/sewage company?
Water bill is always tiny anyway, so not a big deal.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Oh interesting.. not something id look to do in this house, as I dont look to be here over 5 years really and its not a big enough problem for me (spent a lot working on the house), but thats cool.

Sounds like a thing you'd have to contact the council to have done? As its their pipes and land.
Or perhaps water/sewage company?
Water bill is always tiny anyway, so not a big deal.
Everthing from the meter onwards is the landlords responsibility. I had my gas engineer replace the pipe and inform the water company. I own the house and plan to live there for at least five years so for me it was worth it just to have a powerful shower alone.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Everthing from the meter onwards is the landlords responsibility. I had my gas engineer replace the pipe and inform the water company. I own the house and plan to live there for at least five years so for me it was worth it just to have a powerful shower alone.
Sure, I own mine too. Just usually the council would get funny about this sort of stuff. If its a pipe that requires work on the outside of the property (similar to a drop curb), I would be surprised if we didnt at least have to get permission from the council.

ANyways, good to know, I didnt know such a thing was possible :)

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't posted here for a while :)
Because my busy working schedule, I have to find a way to reduce the watering time as much as I could, but not jeopardize the tree. Then I use that spared time for other work on my trees.:p

I have been used water wand for few years. I bought the cheap water wands at regular stores such as Wal - Mart, Home Depot almost every year! Recently, I decided to find the one which could last for year. Finally I found the Haws brass water wand (pic. 1). Its cost is about four times of regular water wand bought in the past, but in the long run, it could save money and time for me. I got this one with very good deal (almost half of list price with free shipping!). This wand comes with the oval brass rose (pic.2) which I don't like because it wastes the water in my situation. Because of it, I ordered the round brass rose (pic.3) which is perfect. Now with this kind of set up, I use it just as I use Haws water can. Anyway, I'm one of the Haws watering can fans.
Bonhe
Hi, thanks to your old post I got the haws wand which so far I'm happy with but I was curious about the fine rose which is impossible to find (contacted haws but they don't have it and dont know where to find it) so I managed to buy the small coarse rose which it is too coarse, so I decided to play with my tools making 120 holes size 0.5 mm / 0.0196'' each !! Closing the coarse holes with epoxy 😜🚿 it works well but the flow is not as gentle as the wide fine rose that comes with the wand.. Could you please tell if there is a flow /pressure difference between your two original roses?

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Automation is great, but we still hand water a couple hundred trees every day. Have used lots of wands, including the Masakuni. My favorite is the Dramm Redhead water breaker. The screen has over 1,000 tiny holes and produces the softest rain I have ever seen. We combine it with a generic wand, and a brass toggle valve (any kind of valve would work). The service life has been several years. By combining the individual components, we can replace a part (the brass valves fail after a few years) rather than the whole.

There are no complicated parts in the Redhead. If the screen gets plugged with water debris, you can simply back flush it to clean it out.

Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms
Sounds nice

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, thanks to your old post I got the haws wand which so far I'm happy with but I was curious about the fine rose which is impossible to find (contacted haws but they don't have it and dont know where to find it) so I managed to buy the small coarse rose which it is too coarse, so I decided to play with my tools making 120 holes size 0.5 mm / 0.0196'' each !! Closing the coarse holes with epoxy 😜🚿 it works well but the flow is not as gentle as the wide fine rose that comes with the wand.. Could you please tell if there is a flow /pressure difference between your two original roses?
You are welcome. It is really sad that Haws did not produce No 3 rose any more!!!. I have been using that for years and am very happy!
I just tested them now for you to see.
The oval one ( No 2&3) came with the wand is much bigger area than the round one (No 3)
CC856A2B-DC07-46EB-9485-AED103FC9844.jpeg 3C6C2B55-4002-419C-BEE5-7F7C2B7659A4.jpeg 3524ACD3-AE12-4EA6-B80B-97D0546A3F74.jpeg
Flow from the oval
C18787EF-C803-4DF2-8F7F-B9EF2C1BA158.jpeg

Flow from the round
D8734D92-9DC5-432A-90FF-DB91837A0F58.jpeg

With the oval one, to produce the fine flow, I have to put more water pressure!!!
Hope it help.
Thụ Thoại

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are welcome. It is really sad that Haws did not produce No 3 rose any more!!!. I have been using that for years and am very happy!
I just tested them now for you to see.
The oval one ( No 2&3) came with the wand is much bigger area than the round one (No 3)

Flow from the oval

Flow from the round

With the oval one, to produce the fine flow, I have to put more water pressure!!!
Hope it help.
Thụ Thoại
That's very kind of you. I can tell that my modified small round No 3 is not as gentle as yours (mine got 120 holes while yours got about 136 both with 0.5mm holes) I think I got more water pressure though, any way I will play a bit more with it... In any case I'm happy with my purchase and have learned quite a bit as well.
Thank you very much.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's very kind of you. I can tell that my modified small round No 3 is not as gentle as yours (mine got 120 holes while yours got about 136 both with 0.5mm holes) I think I got more water pressure though, any way I will play a bit more with it... In any case I'm happy with my purchase and have learned quite a bit as well.
Thank you very much.
You are very welcome.
Thụ Thoại

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let me know how the Joshua Roth Hose works.

Well, it arrived from Amazon today, and I immediately put it to use! Connected it up to a generic home depot brass ball valve and long wand. At full pressure and with that ludicrous length, it takes two hands to control. At fairly low pressure, it is soft enough to water small trees without blowing out the soil.

0511211353_HDR.jpg

0511211353a_HDR.jpg

In addition to the Joshua Roth label, there is this Japanese brand, Mizumaki. I find absolute nothing about them on google. Definitely not identical or equal quality to the Masakuni. But I like it and find it a good value, particularly not having to buy an adapter!

0511211352_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, it arrived from Amazon today, and I immediately put it to use! Connected it up to a generic home depot brass ball valve and long wand. At full pressure and with that ludicrous length, it takes two hands to control. At fairly low pressure, it is soft enough to water small trees without blowing out the soil.

View attachment 374059

View attachment 374060

In addition to the Joshua Roth label, there is this Japanese brand, Mizumaki. I find absolute nothing about them on google. Definitely not identical or equal quality to the Masakuni. But I like it and find it a good value, particularly not having to buy an adapter!

View attachment 374061

I got mine too!, this is way better than what i have, time enjoy watering :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I one I got a couple months ago just fell apart haha

It's just plastic, but it is decent while it lasts, be careful not to bang it around. I don't really know what to get to replace it. I guess watering can for now.

Top Bottom