The best water wand?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't posted here for a while :)
Because my busy working schedule, I have to find a way to reduce the watering time as much as I could, but not jeopardize the tree. Then I use that spared time for other work on my trees.:p

I have been used water wand for few years. I bought the cheap water wands at regular stores such as Wal - Mart, Home Depot almost every year! Recently, I decided to find the one which could last for year. Finally I found the Haws brass water wand (pic. 1). Its cost is about four times of regular water wand bought in the past, but in the long run, it could save money and time for me. I got this one with very good deal (almost half of list price with free shipping!). This wand comes with the oval brass rose (pic.2) which I don't like because it wastes the water in my situation. Because of it, I ordered the round brass rose (pic.3) which is perfect. Now with this kind of set up, I use it just as I use Haws water can. Anyway, I'm one of the Haws watering can fans.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0602c.JPG
    DSC_0602c.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC_0604.JPG
    DSC_0604.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_0603c.JPG
    DSC_0603c.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 310

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonhe
where did you purchase this and how much ?
I bought from this store.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=58426&cat=4,104,53220&ap=2

I use the Masakuni watering wand. It has a really nice soft rose compared to non-bonsai wands.
By the looks of yours, they probably perform about the same.

http://columbusbonsai.org/content/review-masakuni-watering-wand
I also have this Masakuni water wand, but it is too short, so I had to connect it to the longer wand which was broken off every year!
Bonhe

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah, my home depot wand sucks, it leaks and is just a mess. I'm returning it actually.

Nice wand bonhe! i went to lee valley and apparently, the sale and free shipping is over. I'll shop around more. Thanks for posting this!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fore,
No problem at all. The price of Leevalley is almost half price of other stores. It's really a good deal. You can search more. Bonhe

fore

Omono
Reaction score
i found it cheaper at Gemplers, $60. I love how the nozzles screw onto the wand...no leaking from this! ;)
Either way, it's a good price for such a quality product.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Automation is great, but we still hand water a couple hundred trees every day. Have used lots of wands, including the Masakuni. My favorite is the Dramm Redhead water breaker. The screen has over 1,000 tiny holes and produces the softest rain I have ever seen. We combine it with a generic wand, and a brass toggle valve (any kind of valve would work). The service life has been several years. By combining the individual components, we can replace a part (the brass valves fail after a few years) rather than the whole.

There are no complicated parts in the Redhead. If the screen gets plugged with water debris, you can simply back flush it to clean it out.

Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

kobiespa

Seed
Reaction score
I just got the Dramm Redhead and it does have a very soft rain but find that it works only with high water pressure. It uses quite a lot of water. With low pressure, the water just pours out in a stream. Unless there's some other component I'm not aware of.

Has anyone tried this and know if low water pressure will result in fine rain?
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/SN-108-Spray-Nozzle-to-use-with-your-garden-hose.html#

Thanks and happy new year!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that the best wand can be different for you if you have low water pressure. Since we are on a well instead of municipal water, our pressure isn't as much, and can vary depending on the groundwater table. So some things just don't work for me. I still hand water when I can, with a watering can, and use an overhead sprinkler system when I can't.

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got the Dramm Redhead and it does have a very soft rain but find that it works only with high water pressure. It uses quite a lot of water. With low pressure, the water just pours out in a stream.
Right on totally agree. Ive used them all, masakuni for years. the more trees the more time. It was taking me over an hour a day. I switched to the dramm 170 $4 from mega, now 20 minutes done. Plus I use a very free drain mix with scoria on top which is heavy and you can just pour it on with very little deflection...fun again

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/dramm-170pl-plastic-water-breaker/irrigation-watering

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right on totally agree. Ive used them all, masakuni for years. the more trees the more time. It was taking me over an hour a day. I switched to the dramm 170 $4 from mega, now 20 minutes done. Plus I use a very free drain mix with scoria on top which is heavy and you can just pour it on with very little deflection...fun again

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/dramm-170pl-plastic-water-breaker/irrigation-watering
Oh you stilll need to use it upside down and let it fall gently and ...keep it moving
rock..out:D

Lewiscarnes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am trying to find an adaptor to use the masakuni watering wand with a US hose. I have ordered several 3/4 PT to GHT but none seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am trying to find an adaptor to use the masakuni watering wand with a US hose. I have ordered several 3/4 PT to GHT but none seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Buy a masakuni hose.
I myself use a wand from Family Dollar. Water comes out just the same.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that the best wand can be different for you if you have low water pressure. Since we are on a well instead of municipal water, our pressure isn't as much, and can vary depending on the groundwater table. So some things just don't work for me. I still hand water when I can, with a watering can, and use an overhead sprinkler system when I can't.

Have you tried these? http://www.growerssolution.com/PROD/fogg-it-nozzles/foggit

My old place had terrible pressure, couldn't even run a sprinkler and this was the only nozzle that would work well for me. I had the 1gpm model in those days. Now I use the 2gpm and I've been meaning to order and try the 4gpm. I don't know for sure if the 2&4 will work as well with low pressure.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I use a masakuni watering wand with a small ball valve below it - works perfect on high and low pressure - I highly recommend it, it's almost mist like but waters thoroughly and gently - I love it.

Top Bottom