The best way to learn bonsai:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Since we haven't established that the one doing is the master. This could very well be a novice watching another guy doing things the wrong way. :)

All that aside, that tree looks good so yeah this could very well be the way to learn bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Debatable... I don't believe you have to do thing that slow to get the best result. You seems to think anything the Japanese do is the right and only way.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Debatable... I don't believe you have to do thing that slow to get the best result. You seems to think anything the Japanese do is the right and only way.
I think what Adair is saying is, find a master/teacher and learn from them. Not, go to Japan and spend years in apprenticeship ?

Reactions: Rid

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is this another karate kid movie? I wish someone and Holly weird could come up with an original idea

D

Deleted member 21616

there's a balance. especially for most of us, i think, who don't intend to be professional bonsai practitioners or artists but do want to use correct techniques and aspire to create trees that each of us finds rewarding.

I spent 2 years reading around on this forum, the web generally, watching mirai videos, etc. I learned A LOT that way.

lately i've been learning in-person with a handful of experts, and although it certainly feels like i'm learning A LOT in a very short amount of time with them (and I am!), it is obvious to me that these (sometimes costly) experiences build on and benefit from the background information that i have already acquired.

I also got a lot of 'newbie' questions out of my system by reading around here, and by asking the questions myself sometimes (wait, maples have a dormancy period? what do you mean they need water every day? what's an internode? I can't use 'earth' in the pot?)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kihachiro Kamiya with a very young looking Daisaku Nomoto.
Yes, the experienced Master teaching his pupil. The pupil, Daisaku, has gone on to win at Kokufu, Gafu-ten, and is on the Board of Directors of the Nippon Shohin Association.

The point is not that you have to go to Japan to learn, but the best way is to be guided by someone more experienced than yourself.

I’m not saying it’s the only way to learn. But, in my opinion, it’s the best way. One on one, person to person.

Boon took that picture of Daisaku and Kamiya around 1999. A couple weeks ago, he could have taken a similiar picture of me watching over Daisaku’s shoulder as he worked a JBP.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The best way to do bonsai is just buy them already made?
No, that’s the easiest way to get bonsai! Lol!!

My post is “the best way to LEARN bonsai”.

There are many who own good bonsai that don’t know how to DO Bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, the experienced Master teaching his pupil. The pupil, Daisaku, has gone on to win at Kokufu, Gafu-ten, and is on the Board of Directors of the Nippon Shohin Association.

The point is not that you have to go to Japan to learn, but the best way is to be guided by someone more experienced than yourself.

I’m not saying it’s the only way to learn. But, in my opinion, it’s the best way. One on one, person to person.

Boon took that picture of Daisaku and Kamiya around 1999. A couple weeks ago, he could have taken a similiar picture of me watching over Daisaku’s shoulder as he worked a JBP.
Basically the same can be said for most careers, hobby’s, and I’m guessing a trade craft. Learning bonsai the best way is indicative of the best way to learn any skill.

Wax on, wax off...

Top Bottom