The Black Pondo Podcast-Beta Testing

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Shhhhh!!!! Please don't tell anyone about this yet:) thank you!

I've been working on starting a Bonsai Podcast called The Black Pondo Podcast, I'm three episodes in with a fourth which has been recorded. Before I get too far down the road, I was hoping to get some feedback from this community. It's currently only on Spotify, until I get some more feedback and finish up a couple more episodes. You can search for it on Spotify. I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions and feedback. But please go easy on me as I'm just getting started and I promise to take baby steps in improving slowly overtime!

Episode 1: Bob Shimon
Episode 2: Julian Tsai
Episode 3: Adam Toth

My goal is to create an informal podcast where I can interview interesting members of the Bonsai community. Rather than target a specific audience or cater to a certain group like new Bonsai enthusiasts, generally speaking I'll let my natural curiosity guide the guests I bring on and questions I have for them. I'll update this thread going forward when I post a new episode and ask for feedback on the individual episodes.

TBPP Logo.PNG

Quiz Question:
Can you name everyone that speaks in the intro of the podcast while the music is playing?

Other Questions:
What do you think about the intro?
What would you want to see more of?
What do you like? Dislike?
How can I improve?
What guests would you want to hear? Any members on this forum?
What questions would you ask guests?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Roy Minarai & Tyler Sherrod in the intro? I didn't catch everybody. Maybe Julian and you?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey @yenling83, it's great to hear that you're enjoying the podcast and looking for more content to fill those long drives. As a fellow bonsai enthusiast, I know how important it is to have something to keep you "tree-spirited" on those commutes.

I'm sorry to hear that Bonsaiwire podcast seems to be "branching out" of the scene, but it's great to see that you're already following and enjoying the current podcast you've found.

Other Questions:
1. What do you think about the intro?
It's always refreshing to see some originality in the bonsai community, and I appreciate the effort that went into it.

2. What would you want to see more of?
As for what I'd like to see more of, I agree with you - it would be great to hear more about topics related to the current season, like defoliation, shari work, and cutback. It's important to stay "leaf"-informed and up-to-date with the latest bonsai techniques and practices.

3. What do you like? Dislike?
I have to say that everything seems great so far!

4. How can I improve?
consistency is key! I've seen many great bonsai podcasts disappear over time due to a lack of consistent posting, so keep up the great work in that area.

5. What guests would you want to hear? Any members on this forum?
When it comes to guests, I think it would be fascinating to hear from the @Bonsai Nut admin and learn more about the "roots" of this fantastic forum

6. What questions would you ask guests?
what myth of bonsai have they debunked? Let's get to the bottom of some of those "rooted" misconceptions!

Overall, keep up the great work, @yenling83, and I can't wait to hear more bonsai from you in the future!

jonfromchicago

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I'm glad it's on Spotify rather than it on Podbean like with Mirai and Bjorn. I've always had issues with Podbean even with other podcasts other than Bonsai related topics.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
@yenling83 Im very excited. Today is now going to be a better day than I thought. Will start listening now and I will let you know what I think. Thanks for doing this!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
But is there still a beer involved! I enjoyed your first go round. That had to be one the first bonsai podcasts? Now are we at peak bonsai podcast?! Just kidding, I look forward to listening.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Roy Minarai & Tyler Sherrod in the intro? I didn't catch everybody. Maybe Julian and you?
Ding Ding Ding, Correct! Great work:) Do you know what movie quote is in the intro too? Do you think it's obvious for most people? Thanks!!!!!!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
But is there still a beer involved! I enjoyed your first go round. That had to be one the first bonsai podcasts? Now are we at peak bonsai podcast?! Just kidding, I look forward to listening.
Haha, i'm flattered that you knew of the OG podcast-Bonsai and a Beer. I had to change the name because for the most part stopped drinking. Partially just to be heathier, but I also started getting Migraines after I would drink beer. I still love a good beer, but have to be careful about it so I figured I should change the name:) Thank you @hemmy

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ding Ding Ding, Correct! Great work:) Do you know what movie quote is in the intro too? Do you think it's obvious for most people? Thanks!!!!!!
I recognized Pat Morita's "BANZAI", but its been a while since I watched Karate Kid. I had to double-check. Its been ages since I watched it. It felt like "to baby trees" should come from Karate Kid though.
Other Questions:
What do you think about the intro?
The BANZAI was a little jarring. Fairly appropriate though. Maybe a little bumper/intro music preceding it? Maybe not.
What would you want to see more of?
I love podcasts w/ interviews of professionals. High-level practitioners as well. It makes sense that this is fairly California-based, but I'd love a broader view. It seems western conifers have a ton of coverage, deservedly so, but not everyone has those trees.
What do you like? Dislike?
How can I improve?
I have a nitpick that might be helpful but I'd prefer to PM you.
What guests would you want to hear? Any members on this forum?
What questions would you ask guests?
It might be interesting to host all those w/ custom titles (10k+ posts) here @ bN. I recognize that Bob Shimon might bristle at the "Redwood Bob" moniker because he's more than that, but he's also uniquely positioned to speak about redwoods. I'd love to hear from other folks about their specialties. Owen seems to have a preference for species that others aren't championing. John G's pretty well-known for Bald Cypress. I don't think I've ever heard Suthin or Boon on a podcast.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I recognized Pat Morita's "BANZAI", but its been a while since I watched Karate Kid. I had to double-check. Its been ages since I watched it. It felt like "to baby trees" should come from Karate Kid though.

The BANZAI was a little jarring. Fairly appropriate though. Maybe a little bumper/intro music preceding it? Maybe not.

I love podcasts w/ interviews of professionals. High-level practitioners as well. It makes sense that this is fairly California-based, but I'd love a broader view. It seems western conifers have a ton of coverage, deservedly so, but not everyone has those trees.

I have a nitpick that might be helpful but I'd prefer to PM you.

It might be interesting to host all those w/ custom titles (10k+ posts) here @ bN. I recognize that Bob Shimon might bristle at the "Redwood Bob" moniker because he's more than that, but he's also uniquely positioned to speak about redwoods. I'd love to hear from other folks about their specialties. Owen seems to have a preference for species that others aren't championing. John G's pretty well-known for Bald Cypress. I don't think I've ever heard Suthin or Boon on a podcast.
Haha, yes To Baby Trees is from KK. Please keep the nitpicks coming, i'm hoping to improve slowly overtime. All great feedback, will get more guests on to speak about their Bonsai specialties. The next episode which just finished will feature Kaya Mooney current apprentice at Fujikawakoukaen. Then a couple more people lined up after that. I'd love to have @mattspinniken on at some point too. Thanks again!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jeremiah,

I just have to say that the Black Pondo podcast is excellent! I have really been enjoying it. I’ve listened to the first four and halfway through the fifth with @mattspinniken

I have been binge-listening to them everyday on my drive to work! 😁

All of the episodes have been wonderful, but the episode with Kaya was especially interesting to me.

Anyway, GREAT podcast…keep up the awesome work!

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with everything that has been said about your podcast. It is really one of the best bonsai podcast I have ever heard. As someone who listens to stuff all day every day at work I am grateful you are putting to time into making this show. There is a shocking lack of good bonsai podcasts especially ones that are still being recorded and haven’t given up. I hope you are very successful and keep up the good work.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you so much @TrevorLarsen and @Colorado I appreciate it! I'm attempting to make this for true Bonsai Nuts:) like myself. Being transparent, you guys are definitely being far too kind and there's many areas for improvement-not talking about the guests i've had on-they are awesome. However, I will commit to slowly making baby steps to improve over time. I just finished up an episode w/ Eric Schrader that I'm editing now and will likely be chatting with another apprentice from Japan in the near future.

I'd appreciate feedback especially on what would a Bonsai nut want to hear? What questions and topics would you like me to ask? Specifically, what would you ask a current Bonsai apprentice in Japan?

Here's a little plug for the last three episodes:

#5 w/ @mattspinniken was so much fun talking to, love seeing his collection and bonsai garden and such a rad person!

IMG_5661.jpg

#4 w/ Kaya Mooney of Moonlight Bonsai, previous apprentice to Boon M and current apprentice at Fujikawakoukaen in Japan.
IMG_5352.jpg

#3 with Adam Toth Bonsai professional in the Bay Area, CA who recently moved back from Japan where he apprenticed with Taiga Urushibata at one of the leading Shohin Bonsai nurseries in Japan.
IMG_5288.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Jeremiah. I've been listening to the podcast and I'm really enjoying it. I was just listening to the Kaya Mooney episode last night driving to my REBS Workshop. I had never heard of him but some interesting stuff there. Of course, the Bob Shimon and Adam Toth episodes were enjoyable because of the REBS connections. I did a workshop with Adam last month and got a lot out of it.

I, for one, LOVE the intro! The Karate Kid clips hit well for me as a kid who grew up in the 80s and that movie was my first exposure to bonsai. Super cool.

I'm looking forward to the Eric Schrader episode. I bought a tree from him a few months back and got a tour of his garden. Super nice guy.

I do have one question. Is "Black Pondo" a reference to JBP and Ponderosa Pine? Wondering if it's using a Ponderosa grafted with JBP as a metaphor for Bonsai in the West.

Cory

Last edited:

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I listen to an obscene amount of podcasts so I would be happy to offer you some suggestions. I have only been doing bonsai for 3 years though so I might not be your exact target demographic.
I would recommend you create a list of ten plus questions that you ask every interview like at the start or end of the podcast. I would write them down and ask the same ten or so in order every show. I know it’s tedious somewhat but I think it would be very useful. The questions I’m thinking of are basic fundamental stuff that we all debate on bonsai nut, such as what soil mix they use, (in detail about how the mix changes on species ect.) watering, fertilizer, sunlight, time of year to do certain things and so on. Also ask about their microclimate where they are or have been and if they have tips on that. I think asking these basic exactly the same ten or so questions to each person would give very valuable insight into how the experts differ and agree, and really give a good idea of what can or should be done. Also I would love them to list some myths they have either confirmed or busted, some things they used to do but eventually found to be unneeded that kind of stuff.
I think this small segment every episode in addition to the great interviewing you already do would be even better. Going into every episode the listener would know they will get all those questions answered plus the personal stories and all that good stuff. Hopefully some of that was useful.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd appreciate feedback especially on what would a Bonsai nut want to hear? What questions and topics would you like me to ask? Specifically, what would you ask a current Bonsai apprentice in Japan?
I just got caught up on one leg of a road trip. I enjoyed them all. Having never collected yamadori trees, I really enjoyed listening to you and Matt compare notes on the subject.

On the apprentice interviews, I was curious what books they studied in their spare time. I assume Kokufu and other show books, but I’d be curious to know what unique books they found that maybe we don’t see outside of Japan.

I like the idea of this and other podcasts that are recording the stories of bonsai professionals and practitioners. I think I have heard Aarin Packard/PBM mention the idea of preserving these stories and experiences of the older generation of practitioners. It would be interesting to hear from the founders and early members of some of the older clubs. Although, many have obviously passed away. It would also be neat to hear about and see pictures of legacy trees that have passed through members care.

Keep up the good work!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I listen to an obscene amount of podcasts so I would be happy to offer you some suggestions. I have only been doing bonsai for 3 years though so I might not be your exact target demographic.
I would recommend you create a list of ten plus questions that you ask every interview like at the start or end of the podcast. I would write them down and ask the same ten or so in order every show. I know it’s tedious somewhat but I think it would be very useful. The questions I’m thinking of are basic fundamental stuff that we all debate on bonsai nut, such as what soil mix they use, (in detail about how the mix changes on species ect.) watering, fertilizer, sunlight, time of year to do certain things and so on. Also ask about their microclimate where they are or have been and if they have tips on that. I think asking these basic exactly the same ten or so questions to each person would give very valuable insight into how the experts differ and agree, and really give a good idea of what can or should be done. Also I would love them to list some myths they have either confirmed or busted, some things they used to do but eventually found to be unneeded that kind of stuff.
I think this small segment every episode in addition to the great interviewing you already do would be even better. Going into every episode the listener would know they will get all those questions answered plus the personal stories and all that good stuff. Hopefully some of that was useful.
Thank you, will implement something like this. Def will ask about Soil, Fertilizer, maybe pest/disease management. Great suggestion thank you!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Jeremiah. I've been listening to the podcast and I'm really enjoying it. I was just listening to the Kaya Mooney episode last night driving to my REBS Workshop. I had never heard of him but some interesting stuff there. Of course, the Bob Shimon and Adam Toth episodes were enjoyable because of the REBS connections. I did a workshop with Adam last month and got a lot out of it.

I, for one, LOVE the intro! The Karate Kid clips hit well for me as a kid who grew up in the 80s and that movie was my first exposure to bonsai. Super cool.

I'm looking forward to the Eric Schrader episode. I bought a tree from him a few months back and got a tour of his garden. Super nice guy.

I do have one question. Is "Black Pondo" a reference to JBP and Ponderosa Pine? Wondering if it's using a Ponderosa grafted with JBP as a metaphor for Bonsai in the West.

Cory
Thank you very much Cory!

Yes, Black Pondo in reference to a yamadori Ponderosa Trunk grafted over with Japanese Black Pine and yes somewhat of a metaphor for American Bonsai, or a fusion/blend of American and Japanese Bonsai. I like that if you’re not really into Bonsai you prob have no idea what A Black Pondo is. Also like the idea of a Dark Horse and Black Sheep. Thanks for the feedback!

Top Bottom