The Bob Ross of Huntingtown

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just wanted to share with you all. My son was recently interviewed by a student journalist from his high school for the October issue of their school news journal, 'The Forecast'. He also came in 1st place for a photography contest earlier this year with the Maryland Ornithological Society. He's a hardcore birder, and it's nice to see his hard work pay off and be recognized. I'm really proud of my boy!

If anyone is interested in seeing his pictures on flickr here's his account.

Thanks for looking

- Pitoon

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just wanted to share with you all. My son was recently interviewed by a student journalist from his high school for the October issue of their school news journal, 'The Forecast'. He also came in 1st place for a photography contest earlier this year with the Maryland Ornithological Society. He's a hardcore birder, and it's nice to see his hard work pay off and be recognized. I'm really proud of my boy!

Thanks for looking

- Pitoon
i saw the photos. great work. loved the yellow warblers

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I thought I was serious about my plants........this kid would wake up between 4-5am on a Saturday to hit the powerline trails by our house to monitor/track/report the migration that's starting now. Talk about dedication!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Thanks for looking

- Pitoon
My favourites were the shots of the Screech Owl, great example of ATD just spotting the bird in its environment. Not to mention getting the shots without alerting the owl. Kudos all around.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks for looking

- Pitoon
Pretty great photos. He's talented, like Nat Geo quality talented.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pretty great photos. He's talented, like Nat Geo quality talented.
He's pretty good for his age, and not just saying that because he's my son. He would literally park himself at a good location and then use my bluetooth speaker to play theirs calls to bring the birds to him. Sometimes he's out there for HOURS just to get his target species in the right pose. Then he'll use those pictures as references to draw or paint them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's pretty good for his age, and not just saying that because he's my son. He would literally park himself at a good location and then use my bluetooth speaker to play theirs calls to bring the birds to him. Sometimes he's out there for HOURS just to get his target species in the right pose. Then he'll use those pictures as references to draw or paint them.
And Bob Ross was a hack. The younger generation seems to revere the guy, but he was a hack...Hate the comparison in the high school article. Better comparison--take your pick--

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice photo’s! Great work! Are those birds he’s holding wild?
Yes, he assists our county natural resources when they band songbirds passing through our county during their migration. It's part of a program to track numbers and the bird migration. He's mentioned to me several times that they can re-caught birds from past year's bandings. Basically the birds return back to their location where they hatched. Same as the Osprey reusing the same nest year after year when they return.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And Bob Ross was a hack. The younger generation seems to revere the guy, but he was a hack...Hate the comparison in the high school article. Better comparison--take your pick--

Thanks for the link, I'm going to forward it to him.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@Pitoon Please don't diminish his work by associating it with Bob Ross. His work is finer than decorative only. Very impressive! I taught Fine Art in colleges and your son is doing exceptionally high level work for a high schooler. I'd be surprised if he didn't become a fine artist in one or more mediums professionally. He has a very good sense of design and he executes well in both mediums.

Congrats to him on his success and recognition.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Pitoon Please don't diminish his work by associating it with Bob Ross. His work is finer than decorative only. Very impressive! I taught Fine Art in colleges and your son is doing exceptionally high level work for a high schooler. I'd be surprised if he didn't become a fine artist in one or more mediums professionally. He has a very good sense of design and he executes well in both mediums.

Congrats to him on his success and recognition.
Thanks for the kind words! That was just the title of the interview from the school journal that I copied.

He likes to paint with oil, acrylic, and gouache. He also uses pencil too. He plans on entering the Jr Duck stamp again next year. He won first place in his category this year, but didn't win for the state of Maryland to enter to the National jury.

When he was younger he used to ask me how did do that when I used to draw with color pencils. Now it's flip flopped....I ask him, lol. I believe his skill has surpassed mine using paints.

Top Bottom