The bonsai community... such a positive influence on my life

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Greg for creating such a wonderful bonsai forum! I joined a few forums but nothing can be compared with this site!
I learned a lot and make many friends from here.
Thụ Thoại

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I’m talking about the Logan’s in Kannapolis, NC. There are, usually, good bonsai shows in Kannapolis: the annual (except this year) Winter Silohette show, and the bi-annual National Shohin Show.

Both these shows attract bonsai people in from all over the East Coast.
I'm on the East coast! But it appears to be a different East coast.
Logan's in Kannopolis is so far from me that Google can't even calculate travel time.

Have a great time whenever any of the closer members do get there for shows and or meet. I'll have to make do with having a beer down here by myself or a virtual online beer with some of the other remote members.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm on the East coast! But it appears to be a different East coast.
Logan's in Kannopolis is so far from me that Google can't even calculate travel time.

Have a great time whenever any of the closer members do get there for shows and or meet. I'll have to make do with having a beer down here by myself or a virtual online beer with some of the other remote members.
If they have PBR down there on ice with a straw, Adair said he would fly down for that.....

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hello everyone, just became a member yesterday =)
Hello, and thank you for bringing this thread to my attention -- I joined in March, and by now, I recognize everyone who posted here. This forum is everything they say -- "all it's cracked up to be" and more, thanks to @Bonsai Nut, and all the crew! 😀😀😀

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't been here long but I already feel lucky to have found this place. I don't know anyone that's into bonsai, there are no bonsai clubs or nurseries in my area so, I'm pretty much left with getting my information and making connections on the internet.

I've had the pleasure of talking to a few of you and everyone has been helpful and welcoming. There is so many people here with years of experience and they are willing to share that knowledge and experiences freely. I'm on here daily digging through old threads trying to absorb as much information a I can, the more I learn the more I realize I've barely scratched the surface and will never stop learning. I'm not leaving any time soon.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't been here long but I already feel lucky to have found this place. I don't know anyone that's into bonsai, there are no bonsai clubs or nurseries in my area so, I'm pretty much left with getting my information and making connections on the internet.

I've had the pleasure of talking to a few of you and everyone has been helpful and welcoming. There is so many people here with years of experience and they are willing to share that knowledge and experiences freely. I'm on here daily digging through old threads trying to absorb as much information a I can, the more I learn the more I realize I've barely scratched the surface and will never stop learning. I'm not leaving any time soon.

Yeah, this really is a great site. Even more so for beginners during a pandemic.

Zone 2. Now that's getting serious. I'd love to see a thread where you show what you're growing up there. Must be some awesome alpine conifer yamadori opportunities.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

What he said 👆

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, this really is a great site. Even more so for beginners during a pandemic.

Zone 2. Now that's getting serious. I'd love to see a thread where you show what you're growing up there. Must be some awesome alpine conifer yamadori opportunities.
Invaluable for a beginner. I love being able to see detailed progression of the same tree over 5-10+ years with pictures that show what works and what doesn't. I don't have that knowledge because I've never experienced it and it would take me years to figure out on my own. I can learn from others success and failures while I look at some killer trees along the way. I really like the on site contests threads because many start from small insignificant material and you get to see every step along the way.

Often I'll search for threads looking for specific information then someone comments with links and I'm off to another thread and that just continues down the rabbit hole. Several hours later I have a dozen tabs up, it's 4am and I've been mining little bits of wisdom from all over the internet.

I don't really have any impressive trees yet but I love collecting or just running around the woods looking at trees. I'm reluctant to collect anything that would be considered exceptional material in fear I'd kill it due to my inexperience and ignorance. Right now I'm focusing on just learning to care for the native trees I have. I made a thread with a few pics but it's nothing great.

Top Bottom