The Book Has Arrived!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks so much for the kind remarks... I feel much the same way about it... it's one thing to see a digital lay out... a whole different thing all together to hold on to the book and enjoy it.

:) V

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It occurs to me that at some point folks ought to write a formal review or reviews of the book on a thread started in the books section as well. I'd be happy to refrain from commenting there so folks could just feel free to say whatever they like. :)

People could still post here on this thread also, where questions can be answered and where there might be a bit more of a back and forth discussion. Either way.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the book as well, and since I feel that it is a very unique one amongst bonsai books, I am savoring it slowly, on weekends, chapter by chapter. I am not yet halfway through, so I don't want to write on it anything yet.
But I can already thell that it is one of a kind, because it takes the reader on Dan's journey in the world of bonsai, from his very beginning. There is no other book like this out there.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the book as well, and since I feel that it is a very unique one amongst bonsai books, I am savoring it slowly, on weekends, chapter by chapter. I am not yet halfway through, so I don't want to write on it anything yet.
But I can already thell that it is one of a kind, because it takes the reader on Dan's journey in the world of bonsai, from his very beginning. There is no other book like this out there.

I'm really glad to hear that, Atilla. When I first started on the book, my intent was to tell Dan's story, not just put together another bonsai book. But I was told by someone in the know - and I still think it was great advice - that the book would sell or not sell on the strength of the pictures. So I connected with Vic, and I think "the strength of the pictures" we produced was everything we could hope for.

But for me, though the pictures consumed much of the effort that went into the book, and although they will certainly be the selling point for many people, they were always subordinate to Dan's story. The reason I wrote the book was the realization, driving along with Dan in his truck one day when I still barely knew him, that this was a truly unique individual, whose life story and accumulated wisdom and genius had much to say to the bonsai community, and to people in general. I thought to myself, someone has to capture this man and his story before he's too old to help with the process. No one else was going to do it, it seemed, so I decided then and there that I would. And I did.

So it does my heart good when I hear you and others speak of your pleasure and inspiration as you slowly read and savor the story. I am neither a professional writer, nor a photographer, nor a publisher, but I did my best as an amateur, and what you and others have said about Dan's story tells me I succeeded. Vic contributed greatly, and many others were very helpful as well, but to have conceived this project, carried it through to completion, and now hear words like yours telling me the book has touched you in the way I had hoped is a great thing for me. Thank you.

Will

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are too modest, Will. You and Vic created an amazing book, and we are lucky for that.
And, by the way, you are not a shabby writer either. Quite enjoyable style. I don't know too many MD's who have such a diverse range of talents.:)

Top Bottom