The Brocoli

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Spent the last two days cleaning up this tree...it's just incredible the amount of foliage it is able to produce on the inner trunks which are devoid of daylight...I call it the brocoli because that's what Walter Pall called it at one of his tree critique.

IMG_6298_zpsf4ab5281.jpg

Here's a view from above to give you an idea of the amount of foliage that's on there. Hence the brocoli reference

IMG_6299_zps65523d4c.jpg

I also cleaned up a few shimpakus...

IMG_6293_zpsc5e2a5b8.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice tree, I love it. Would love to have a similar broccoli. Is that a boxwood?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes a clump style kingsville. All the trunks are connected. Must be pretty old as they grow so slow...even in the ground for many years.

Found a picture of it from 2008 or so...it hasn't changed a bit in 4 years...

IMG_0319.jpg

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love broccoli! And I love your tree :) very fitting name.

Great pic of the juni's too :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm glad there was a link to this tree in another thread, this is wonderful. I have never seen a kingsville so dense as this one. In a good way... So strong.
love it.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice looking tree, thanks for sharing. I was just at a Kathy Shaner critique and she was talking about how difficult these are to stay on top of with keeping foliage in check. I can only imagine how many hours it must take to thin this out.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I said earlier here (which I already forgot) and on your previous thread...I LOVE this tree. :)

Top Bottom