The Car Thread

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just thought some of you might be interested . This is what a EV battery pack looks like inside . 2022 ford MachE , the dark grey parts are individual battery cells . The part at the bottom of the pic is a control centre that is relays to connect the cells together and to the car . The control module is on top of the rear . Cells All orange wiring is high voltage don’t touch . In all EV cars . This is the latest level of tech in fords . All other manufacturers are extremely similar

Attachments

• 5A8E6C5B-7BF1-4E5F-80D3-4675A489BDC7.png
    5A8E6C5B-7BF1-4E5F-80D3-4675A489BDC7.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 7

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I was doing research into small pickup trucks, as I hate how large pickup trucks have become in the US. The first generation of Tacomas are too expensive, and the 90s Ford Rangers aren't exactly reliable or easy to come by...so I started looking into Japanese kei trucks.
ACTY and F250 2500x896.jpg
In the US, these can be registered in many states if they are at least 25 years old, due to some weird import laws that allows old vehicles to be imported without being tested for safety and emissions laws. This little guy is the perfect form factor for a utility truck, and since my needs for a pickup truck are pretty much just hauling mini trees and supplies, it seems perfect. And, they can be had very cheap, from about $5k-8k. Apparently, these things are very popoular for offroading and farm work, where the 25 year requirement is not necessary.

The main downside is that they seem...uhhh very unsafe. I don't believe these things have airbags, much less crumple zones. They top out at about 60mph, so taking them on the freeway would be sketchy to say the least. Would best be used for urban driving, as they were designed, but even in a low speed front-end collision, I think they wouldn't fare well.

Would you drive one of these things?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was doing research into small pickup trucks, as I hate how large pickup trucks have become in the US. The first generation of Tacomas are too expensive, and the 90s Ford Rangers aren't exactly reliable or easy to come by...so I started looking into Japanese kei trucks.
View attachment 524915
In the US, these can be registered in many states if they are at least 25 years old, due to some weird import laws that allows old vehicles to be imported without being tested for safety and emissions laws. This little guy is the perfect form factor for a utility truck, and since my needs for a pickup truck are pretty much just hauling mini trees and supplies, it seems perfect. And, they can be had very cheap, from about $5k-8k. Apparently, these things are very popoular for offroading and farm work, where the 25 year requirement is not necessary.

The main downside is that they seem...uhhh very unsafe. I don't believe these things have airbags, much less crumple zones. They top out at about 60mph, so taking them on the freeway would be sketchy to say the least. Would best be used for urban driving, as they were designed, but even in a low speed front-end collision, I think they wouldn't fare well.

Would you drive one of these things?
I have to disagree with you about the ford ranger . I’m a ford tech , I’m not the type that thinks only fords are good . But the ranger is one of the most reliable trucks ever made . Mazda b2000 is also a ranger . Up here they mostly are rusted out . But people still buy them and fix them up there so desirable . 3 engine possibilities 2.3 l 4 and 3.0 l or 4.0 l v6 the 3.0 litre is particularly bullet proof . But all are good . There rep is arguable the best small truck made . Toyota also makes a small truck that’s good but I would say the ford is better ( simpler design) As for your idea of importing the above small truck . History backs up most vehicles built for other markets . Do not fair well in North America . Modern examples are the large light duty . Vans that are very reliable in Europe . And are proving not robust enough for North America . The original Japanese cars brought here . We’re rust buckets . I’m not saying these products are all bad . But the different markets and environmentally conditions are not considered by many . The truck you pic is built for light duty work in a city or short distance situation. . In a warm climate . Although it is cute as hell . As far as I’m concerned it’s a novelty item . Can you afford the down time such a vehicle . Could need for parts availability. For example

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for your insight! I’ll defintely add those old Rangers and Mazdas to my list if I ever get serious about getting a truck.

As far as the kei trucks, I lost interest as soon as I learned that they lacked ABS. I could do without every safety feature on a non-daily car like that, but would not drive a car with no airbags OR ABS!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your insight! I’ll defintely add those old Rangers and Mazdas to my list if I ever get serious about getting a truck.

As far as the kei trucks, I lost interest as soon as I learned that they lacked ABS. I could do without every safety feature on a non-daily car like that, but would not drive a car with no airbags OR ABS!
There a simple vehicle meant for a congested setting . I have done no research . But also suspect they would not pass North American crash laws . One thing I feel not enough consider . Is small vehicles are great for many reasons . But our large North American road network and distances we travel . Are congested with large fast moving vehicles . Commercial trucks . Suv s pick up trucks . Not a place you want to get in a accident with a small foreign mini truck . Consider your needs . I’m always surprised by people that say they need a truck . When considering the amount they need to haul . And frequency . They would be better off with a trailer . All trucks are a compromise . Handling . Braking distance . Ride quality . Maneuverability . Wear and tear . All are trying to meet the needs of a vehicle . That is vastly different empty and loaded . That’s a lot to give up . For something you don’t need 95 percent of the time

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pics are of the internal components. Of a 2022 MachE EV battery pack . This pack is very heavily protected from moisture entering . It’s sealed very well . And vacuum testing it’s sealing is a requirement. After any internal work . Moisture is very very bad and dangerous. To its operation . This car was in a accident . And the front fender and area around the charge port was damaged . It came to the dealership for fault codes from the batt . From the body shop that repaired it . The guilty party here is leaving the damaged car outside in the rain . The moisture entered the batt pack down the internals of the wire harness from the charge port .

Attachments

• A6F1055A-7E74-4956-BFC6-4F8A4E0D16D1.jpeg
    A6F1055A-7E74-4956-BFC6-4F8A4E0D16D1.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 09CBD4D9-44D6-431D-AE51-B3F3F40EA237.jpeg
    09CBD4D9-44D6-431D-AE51-B3F3F40EA237.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1
  • EA9C6AD0-054E-4837-A145-D7A9E57D1472.jpeg
    EA9C6AD0-054E-4837-A145-D7A9E57D1472.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 4

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When considering the amount they need to haul . And frequency . They would be better off with a trailer . All trucks are a compromise
This is exactly the conclusion I came to when I started thinking rationally about my needs. I need a solution to hauling a few things around, occasionally, which really is achieved by a trailer.

…but that won’t stop me from wanting a nice little truck.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The pics are of the internal components. Of a 2022 MachE EV battery pack . This pack is very heavily protected from moisture entering . It’s sealed very well . And vacuum testing it’s sealing is a requirement. After any internal work . Moisture is very very bad and dangerous. To its operation . This car was in a accident . And the front fender and area around the charge port was damaged . It came to the dealership for fault codes from the batt . From the body shop that repaired it . The guilty party here is leaving the damaged car outside in the rain . The moisture entered the batt pack down the internals of the wire harness from the charge port .
This is really useful to know for an electric car. Don’t have one, but will someday, and this soinds like an expensive mistake.

What’s it like working on EVs compared to ICEs? Do you enjoy it?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20240223_153406.jpg
Buddy of mine rebuilding his '66 Riviera from the ground up.
In his garage, couldn't get a good shot of the burgundy body.
Just the original air intake is worth $1,000.
My dad had a '69 Olds 98 LS with a 455 Rocket. The horn was a strip of rubber that ran the interior circumference of the steering wheel you had to squeeze in to make contact.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 530143
Buddy of mine rebuilding his '66 Riviera from the ground up.
In his garage, couldn't get a good shot of the burgundy body.
Just the original air intake is worth $1,000.
My dad had a '69 Olds 98 LS with a 455 Rocket. The horn was a strip of rubber that ran the interior circumference of the steering wheel you had to squeeze in to make contact.
430 Buick is legendary motor . My race partner had one out of a wildcat . We put it in a 71 gto . He was a body man . Thru a insurance guy he knew . Got the gto . Stolen brand new found in the woods no engine trans or diff . 34 miles we had to sand the tarp of the car in places 21 years in the woods . Also 430 was the engine in the starter cart for the SR 71 blackbird plane

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is really useful to know for an electric car. Don’t have one, but will someday, and this soinds like an expensive mistake.

What’s it like working on EVs compared to ICEs? Do you enjoy it?
Working on EV is a simple progression for me . I’m primarily a gas engine . ( non diesel) . Drivability electrical computer tech . At a dealership . So I already do a lot on hybrids . So it’s a short step . But just as owning a EV is a learning curve . So is learning there quirks .

Top Bottom