The Cave...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Korean Boxwoods from a landscape nursery...3 gal and 1 gal....worked for 1 year in preparation
7 pieces of lace rock, and one large slab
Total width is 51", depth 30", height about 28"
200+ pounds...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
the creation of this piece...

Nice! I remember back when you acquired the stock as hedges! Also when you took receipt of that ton of rock:) Appreciate the video, and the transformation on those Boxwood - thank you!

must be a pain to move

He has much larger!

Grimmy

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like this, I was thinking about doing something like this in my yard with beech as a center piece in my garden. It's nice inspiration.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like this, I was thinking about doing something like this in my yard with beech as a center piece in my garden. It's nice inspiration.

Maybe we can get @johng to post a picture here of his 1,000 pound plus centerpiece ;)

Grimmy

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Still not planted...maybe this Spring...maybe not??
IMG_2340.JPG

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Still not planted...maybe this Spring...maybe not??

Thank you! By the way it looks like you have enough stock just in that picture let alone the balance - up to 750 or?

Grimmy

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice. A few questions.. Are the rocks just positioned using weight and gravity or did you use adhesive? What kind of a turntable setup do you have to deal with the bulk and weight of you projects? Have you considered making your planting complete by putting a white rabbit in the cave similar to Monty Python's "Quest For The Holy Grail"?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you! By the way it looks like you have enough stock just in that picture let alone the balance - up to 750 or?

Grimmy

If you don't count seedlings, I am down significantly...maybe 500 with a couple hundred seedlings and couple hundred more recently sown.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice. A few questions.. Are the rocks just positioned using weight and gravity or did you use adhesive? What kind of a turntable setup do you have to deal with the bulk and weight of you projects? Have you considered making your planting complete by putting a white rabbit in the cave similar to Monty Python's "Quest For The Holy Grail"?

Weight and gravity only for the rocks...in fact the trees are only tied down with temporary wires over the top of the root mass. Boxwood grow roots so fast that I figure my next summer I can completely remove the temporary tie downs. I use a 1000 pound metal lazy susan mechanism for all applications in the garden. They last 5-6 years outside if they get cleaned and lubed once or twice a year. Between the concrete patio table and all the rocks piled on in the pic above...the metal turntable collapsed in about a month:)

There have been several suggestions for what lives in the cave but you're the first to mention a white rabbit!!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The video would not work for me... Says it is restricted... You ban me from your YouTube page John? LOL

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Will be an exclusion when you sell your house, or will it be included in the sale??:D

To be honest...I am not even sure I am going to plant it at this point...but it was fun putting it together! I did threaten Arthur that I was going to take it apart and transport it to the arboretum on his day off and put it back together so he could deal with it:)

Top Bottom