The cooking thread

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
really? I would say it is never too cold to grill. Main problem in winter is that coals are hard to get. Solved that by just stacking a few bags in the shed for winter.
When I was an active Bar B Q type I used Propane to fire up my Patio Bar B Q but it got old and rusty so I dumped it and went to the George Foreman, have 2, a super small one good for 1 averaged size steak and a Medium size for doing 3 average sized steaks , never looked back, easily the way to go, no regrets....

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Guess you were hungry!!

I swear. Yes. Since I got the kenalog injections (epidurals) last one in Dec. I can't quit eating.
My A1C is the highest it's ever been but still just under 7. Since I have stopped eating almond butter
and jelly sandwich for lunch 4-6 days/wk my triglycerides have gone back up to 300.
When I started eating almond butter nearly every day, they dropped from 350 to 130 :)
So there's your freebie for the day. No additives just 100% blanched almonds.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I swear. Yes. Since I got the kenalog injections (epidurals) last one in Dec. I can't quit eating.
My A1C is the highest it's ever been but still just under 7. Since I have stopped eating almond butter
and jelly sandwich for lunch 4-6 days/wk my triglycerides have gone back up to 300.
When I started eating almond butter nearly every day, they dropped from 350 to 130 :)
So there's your freebie for the day. No additives just 100% blanched almonds.
Diabetes runs in my family. My grandpa had it as did my uncle and dad. My dad lost both of his legs above the knee due to it. I watch my weight, eat low carb (except on the weekend!) and try to exercise. So far so good. My sister swears drinking beer keeps her cholesterol levels low, so I do drink beer for health benefits. ;)

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My wife and I have been living at my in-law’s lake house in central Wisconsin for the last six weeks, and for the first time ever we hit the morel season. For the last ten days we’ve found some every day but one—sometimes just a few, but one day a pound and a half. Best meal so far has been fresh-cut asparagus, and sautéed morels scrambled into fresh local farm eggs. Washing it down with a terrific bottle of white Burgundy helped, too.
18802D86-3D66-4D70-8B97-882011A19F48.jpeg0E80D996-F7FD-42C2-A719-1BE8396DEEB4.jpeg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didnt know this was a thing..

I am sometimes quite proud of some of my meals.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-31 at 19.27.40.jpeg

This is a Brioche bun, toasted both ends, standard beef burger, cooked medium rare. Cheddar cheese, with spinach dressing and ketchup.
Chips are gastro chips, triple cooked then frozen. I then layer on some more oil, salt pepper and SMOKED PAPRIKA, then cook again. Come out very crispy on the outside and soft inside, really come out great they do, each time. Expensive frozen chips though... I dont have them too often, or this meal too often.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mu daughter calls em blood berry.

Turns out Pokeweed is edible.

Doing it.

Onions, not enough greens, egg and bacon soon.

20210706_143416.jpg

Backyard edibles!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of course I can't really taste it amongst the other yumminess, but with such great vitamins and fiber, I'm in!

Bigger crop next year!

20210706_144228.jpg

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mmmm!! Nice!

We grab ramps, fiddleheads, leeks and garlic mustard on walks and try various things. (JUST talking bout greenie stuff ;) )

I CAN’T bring myself to flat-out “enjoy” fiddleheads, though..

🤓

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ratatouille about to go in the oven, from the recipe that Chef Thomas Keller developed for the animated movie. I don’t like eggplant, so it’s farmers market zucchinI, summer squash, and Roma tomato, on top of a sauce of long-simmered onion, green garlic, tomato, and red and yellow bell peppers. More garlic, lots of thyme, and a drizzle of good oil over the top.
7C8E343A-41F0-403A-81E6-B974FF1E18B7.jpeg

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ratatouille about to go in the oven, from the recipe that Chef Thomas Keller developed for the animated movie. I don’t like eggplant, so it’s farmers market zucchinI, summer squash, and Roma tomato, on top of a sauce of long-simmered onion, green garlic, tomato, and red and yellow bell peppers. More garlic, lots of thyme, and a drizzle of good oil over the top.
View attachment 388894

That looks awesome!

How did it come out?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Excellent! I did an hour at 275 with a foil cover, then an hour with the foil off. All of the vegetables were meltingly tender, but still held their shape and had a little bit of crunch. I let it settle overnight in the fridge for the flavors to come together. Simple dinner tonight of sautéed medallions of pork tenderloin, and I warmed up the ratatouille portions for 30 seconds in the microwave. The flavors balanced very nicely, and some Chateau St. Michelle Chardonnay sealed the deal. Very nice on a hot, sticky summer night!

Top Bottom