The cooking thread

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yeh, our favourite pizzeria is 30 mins away, and our anniversary dinner is at Land Sea in Ft Walton Bc, FL 🌞
Sounds like a road trip for an anniversary dinner! We're usually on vacation on our anniversary, so we can go somewhere different.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Country ham, not so easy to find around here. I'm sure it's a common thing for those in Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia. It's really saltycountry ham.jpg, my son and I love it, the husband hates it.

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We had a day of sun so it got me in the mood to break out the smoker grill and make a tomahawk steak. I did share it with my wife but I could have devoured it all myself.

tomahawk steak-smoker.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That tomahawk looks good…

I made some savory grits with duck legs the other day. Early in the pandemic I made Fergus Henderson’s Trotter Gear from Nose to Tail and stuck it in the freezer. I pulled some out along with some stock I made instead of just using water. I seared the pig skin from the gear in cast iron, along with some hen of the woods I had in the freezer.

and an egg.

yes, a little smug about it

C84D28CA-0E15-4FC8-B3F5-D0B45C8DDA1A.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like to cook - here’s a Texas short rib chili I smoked on a chilly day recently. I should pull the leftovers out of the freezer, we got 2 feet of snow, and I’d say that’s chili weather. I need buttermilk for cornbread or biscuits though, tactical error. No milk or lemon either.

743FF935-E4D8-4E92-82D4-61827B56A9A2.jpeg

And remember, don’t burn your biscuits.
C0E83BEB-68C0-4406-80F3-3A98135CF499.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_20220218_175629_082.jpg
Roasted vegetables with beef petite sirloin chunks, seasoned with sumac, rosemary, sage, oregano, and chipotle.
Totally got my kids to eat pumpkin tonight without complaining.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a good winter nights meal. I find the sumac interesting.
I love middle eastern food, but could never figure out exactly what flavor I was missing whenever I tried to make it myself. Then I discovered sumac, and it's filled in everything.
It took me a while to figure out what other seasonings mix well with it- and I'm still leaning there- but I love the bright tartness of it. You'd think it would go well with sweet things, but it's just a bit earthy for that.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I love middle eastern food, but could never figure out exactly what flavor I was missing whenever I tried to make it myself. Then I discovered sumac, and it's filled in everything.
It took me a while to figure out what other seasonings mix well with it- and I'm still leaning there- but I love the bright tartness of it. You'd think it would go well with sweet things, but it's just a bit earthy for that.
I have two cabinets full of spices, definitely going to add sumac to my arsenal. Thanks!

Top Bottom