The cooking thread

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They just bulldozed the old abandoned house across the street from me, including the old pear tree there. I was able to scrounge a handful of the wood from the stump for the smoker, as well as some cuttings.

Anyone ever use pear wood for smoking before? I haven't, so I'm curious what to expect from it.
I have not personally ever used pear to smoke with. As long as it’s not a Bradford pear you can try. I’d be curious as to how it does too.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I used to cut a lot of them back when I did tree work. They stink when you cut them. I always figured it would stink when you burn them too.
Fair enough.
No clue what variety it was. The fruit were too small and green to tell, just big enough to tell they were pears. The chunks I collected didn't seem to smell, but the way my allergies are some times that doesn't mean much coming from me.
I'll give 'em a crack and let everyone know.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what does redfish taste like? (The cooked kind)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
what does redfish taste like? (The cooked kind)
36”+ bull red fish = fishy card board
Farm raised red fish : meh
16-25” wild caught: great tasting. Sweet succulent meat with excellent umami taste whether seated, smoked, or raw.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
R

Roasted is the only decent way to eat Brussels sprouts. I've tried them so many ways, but roasted they are ACTUALLY delicious.
Roasted, sprinkled with crispy bacon, a few drops of pure maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar is my preferred way to eat them.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dry rubbed smoked pork butt and cantaloupe for dinner with the kids...

...In the dark.

Storm blew through and knocked out the power across much of the county.
They say it should be on again by 930pm.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The perfect way to start a Sunday: my favorite breakfast, peppered bacon and oatmeal lightly sweetened with dark brown sugar.
The flavor profiles compliment each other perfectly, and the mix of fats, protein, and complex carbs is also perfect for a hard working body, or a lazy, chilly fall morning. Incomplete without a cup of percolator coffee.
IMG_20221113_101246_203.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The perfect way to start a Sunday: my favorite breakfast, peppered bacon and oatmeal lightly sweetened with dark brown sugar.
The flavor profiles compliment each other perfectly, and the mix of fats, protein, and complex carbs is also perfect for a hard working body, or a lazy, chilly fall morning. Incomplete without a cup of percolator coffee.
View attachment 462796
The "like" is for the peppered bacon, yum. I hate oatmeal.🤢

Top Bottom