The Elusive Maple Flower

D

Deleted member 21616

another tree same reaction

same story: tree was kept at 2C (35.5F) from about december to march. branch grew long during the summer and i cut it in december right at the start of dormancy

D5FF0C18-CBF7-48C2-9A9F-2D1DF3A28F65.jpeg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
2C (35.5F)

... and I really appreciate you give the two diferent units, easier to understand when everyone is on the same wavelength :)

@derek7745

For such a small plant, I think the flowers will take too much energy, I'd remove them. anyway, acer palmatum are very rarely true to the cultivar it was taken from, so don't bother. If you have other Acer species around, there's more chance you can get an "odd" specimen from a stronger tree.

D

Deleted member 21616

For such a small plant, I think the flowers will take too much energy, I'd remove them.

i never thought of this before! the flowers consumer significant energy?

anyway, acer palmatum are very rarely true to the cultivar it was taken from, so don't bother. If you have other Acer species around, there's more chance you can get an "odd" specimen from a stronger tree.

i haven’t started looking into propagation by seed yet, because i don’t yet have the space to play the plamatum lottery. But if im understanding you correctly, i can rub flowers of 2 different trees together to make “crossbreeds” so to speak?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
i can rub flowers of 2 different trees together to make “crossbreeds” so to speak?

Yes, that's basically the trick.

That's the way many varieties were created.

An example in French with Irises, but it's the same for most flowering plants :

https://www.les-iris-du-grand-barbu.com/culture/hybridation/

But I didn't do it, didn't have enough time. Next year maybe, when I'm a pensioner :p:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

D

Deleted member 21616

Yes, that's basically the trick.

That's the way many varieties were created.

An example in French with Irises, but it's the same for most flowering plants :

https://www.les-iris-du-grand-barbu.com/culture/hybridation/

But I didn't do it, didn't have enough time. Next year maybe, when I'm a pensioner :p:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Wow merci!!

You’re going to push me into a topic that i wasn’t going to tackle for 2-3 years! :p

Looking forward to this read tonight thank you :)

pension! you’re lucky! If i expand my bonsai population i might become single and unemployed very fast! very very addictive hobby hard to go to work or leave the house sometimes

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Phew... I really thought my acer griseum (paperbark maple) wouldn't make it, but not only has it finally leafed out, but it bears some flowers :

IMG_1528.jpg

Since the rate of germination for this species is very low (about 5%), I don't hope for seedlings next year, but it's nice to see some samaras.

It's a very hardy tree, that could explain why it leafs out so late (a month and a half later than A.p. 'Orange Dream' for instance). Trees that comme from the coldest areas may wait for real warm weather to come, like Beech, or Ash, that come from colder areas, even when they've lived in more temperate climates...

Last edited:
Top Bottom