The fastest way to develop deciduous bonsai: Walter Pall's hedge pruning method explained

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No I don't.
But may I tell you that I believe Mr @Vance Wood has a good sense of humor (unlike you) in order to understand correctly the correlation which @Smoke has made.
The correlation was not even close and apparently you are the only one that thought it was by the number of likes the comment received. I have no doubt that @Vance Wood has a good sense of humor but the context that he was referring to about FNG’s & ambushes in war people die! Furthermore you have no idea about my sense of humor and some things you just don’t joke about.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The correlation was not even close and apparently you are the only one that thought it was by the number of likes the comment received. I have no doubt that @Vance Wood has a good sense of humor but the context that he was referring to about FNG’s & ambushes in war people die! Furthermore you have no idea about my sense of humor and some things you just don’t joke about.
I deeply apologize if you were offended by my comment. It was posted as light hearted fun, but I understand that some people don't see it that way. I appreciate your service and that of your family. I also appreciate what Vance had to go thru in service for our country. I missed the draft by months. had my papers and was off to basic when I received a letter from Mr. Nixon saying my services were not needed. We were going with an all volunteer service.

Thanks.....

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think Smoke pisses people off so much as people piss Smoke off. If you want to do that, just pretend you know about bonsai and start posting shit.

True, and that's a good way to get him going, but I was poking fun at the fact that there are quite a few people here just just can't seem to let any statement he makes go. He's cantankerous but I like the guy and I also like most of the people who don't like him so I find the whole thing funny. Fortunately I know I'm not very good at bonsai so everyone can feel superior to me. :)

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tread should be close now, it doesnt bring any value anymore apart of big massive rant now.
He will remove his tags, end of story.........
Can MOD lock it please ?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Something I actually missed, when hearing about the hedge method previously, is its ability to create a more natural branch structure.
I was perhaps not looking closely enough to threads discussing it, or videos but it makes a big difference to me that this method creates a more natural branch structure, whereas pick and choosing will perhaps make more cookie cutter trees.

Thats not to say, those who pick and choose when pruning are wrong (I do it), that then relies on the persons skill to make it natural looking, which obviously works, but this is much more natural.
I like it :)

I will have to get a few willing (or unwilling, I own them) candidate elms to try this method on for a few years.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall these before and after pictures are impressive, and convincing!

I understand that your method aims at producing a dense and 'natural' looking tree. Can I please ask, if one were aiming at producing something much less dense and less 'natural', like the maples in the last three photos attached here, would you still employ the hedge pruning method? From what I understand, one could make the tree very dense (as in your photo, re-attached here), and then prune selectively to reduce the density? I'm just wondering if this is something you have tried, and how this would compare to the usual/common branch building and ramification methods, again, if one were aiming at producing trees with branch work much more like the trees in the last three photos attached here

Thank you,
Derek

If I owned the last three trees I would definitely use the same method as with all my other trees. Too much density is a luxury problem. You have to cut out, but that is easy. Too little density is a real problem. It is not so simple to enhance it with orthodox methods.

The dense ramification after hedge pruning often creates something like a 'wig''. With fine pruning scissors you cut out after the foliage is off what you do not like. For me the result usually is much better than normally because you take advantage of the idiosyncrasies of nature. You have ramification that looks much more natural and untouched by man than normally. Mind you it only appears untouched. Every single branch was your decision. It only is not noticeable to someone who has not watched you.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If I owned the last three trees I would definitely use the same method as with all my other trees. Too much density is a luxury problem. You have to cut out, but that is easy. Too little density is a real problem. It is not so simple to enhance it with orthodox methods.

The dense ramification after hedge pruning often creates something like a 'wig''. With fine pruning scissors you cut out after the foliage is off what you do not like. For me the result usually is much better than normally because you take advantage of the idiosyncrasies of nature. You have ramification that looks much more natural and untouched by man than normally. Mind you it only appears untouched. Every single branch was your decision. It only is not noticeable to someone who has not watched you.

Remembering which trees had wire on underneath all that foliage from the winter cut back / wiring for so many must take some monitoring. This is especially difficult as the rate of thickening must be quite fast and wire cutting in could easily happen in a few short weeks. Do you use visual reminders, eg ties or tape that you attach to remind you about checking?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Remembering which trees had wire on underneath all that foliage from the winter cut back / wiring for so many must take some monitoring. This is especially difficult as the rate of thickening must be quite fast and wire cutting in could easily happen in a few short weeks. Do you use visual reminders, eg ties or tape that you attach to remind you about checking?

Visual reminders? I go through the whole collection of almost 1000 trees every day and see very quickly how each tree is doing. I see wire and around mid summer I start to look closely for the wire to bite in. This is normal procedure. No big deal. Most broadleave trees don't have regular wiring anyway. They all have guy wiring, sometimes a lot. Guy wire is not as problematic as regular wiring.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Visual reminders? I go through the whole collection of almost 1000 trees every day and see very quickly how each tree is doing. I see wire and around mid summer I start to look closely for the wire to bite in. This is normal procedure. No big deal. Most broadleave trees don't have regular wiring anyway. They all have guy wiring, sometimes a lot. Guy wire is not as problematic as regular wiring.
Yes, I put little white twist ties on some of the more vigorous trees I've wired to remind me to check. Sometimes after work and watering I might have only half an hour to do maintenance or a little bit of wiring.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tread should be close now, it doesnt bring any value anymore apart of big massive rant now.
He will remove his tags, end of story.........
Can MOD lock it please ?
If you could please send me your address I will send you a "thanks for playing" Smoke trophy.

Top Bottom