The Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I will take over the contest, I’ve done this before with last year’s Little Christmas Tree contest when the member who started it disappeared.
ThIs contest will end in September of 2025. I will send out reminders next year and organize the judging by posting photos of the final entries and an open poll to choose the winner In the meantime, I’ll go through this thread to see if there is anything I missed, like donated prizes, and post occasionally to keep up the interest. I did enter this contest but, sadly, my native Mt Hemlock died in the summer heat of 2022 : (

Why are we ending the contest early? I had planned to submit fall photos from 2025.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I had originally started this with a deciduous azalea which would disqualify me as it’s not actually native per rules - that’s what I get for joining a contest as a total newbie here who didn’t really know about my trees. I’ll still track that thread with the tree withdrawn though, and may either replace it with my serviceberry or, if naturalized counts, a crabapple/apple.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why are we ending the contest early? I had planned to submit fall photos from 2025.
You’re right … the contest was started in Sept. but I see that the submissions are to be in by the end of the year, 2025.
So we will stick with that and have the judging in Jan. of 2026.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just counted up 184 entry threads for this contest! There are many members with multiple threads, so remember, only one official entry per member, but your other tress can be considered for honourable mention.

The rules stipulate that you are supposed to update your threads at least once a year. Let‘s get back on travk and start posting your updates.

Getting to be the time to start sourcing your native pots for these trees!
Jeez, the spelling errors! Sorry … : )

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you started work on it in 2020 then go ahead and enter - start a new thread for your tree. I decree that this is acceptable!, lol!
The tree was collected in 2022, but I’m realizing that I won’t actually want to put it in a pot next year as it’s just about to into box. Though I guess a box made of local red cedar might count 🤣

I’ll still be following in spirit, and comparing my results in 2026 to see how I measure up!

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have grown some native oaks from acorns in 2020. My plan was for one to end up in a Chumash-style pot or even a woven basket, as if an acorn was left in the pot it was collected in.

I never entered the contest though, so I feel like it would be unfair compared to those who have original entries. Like @pandacular I will follow along in spirit.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm also still working on my contest tree and I have updated my topic yearly with pictures.
I will probably update it again within a few weeks.

See my signature for a link to my topic.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have grown some native oaks from acorns in 2020. My plan was for one to end up in a Chumash-style pot or even a woven basket, as if an acorn was left in the pot it was collected in.

I never entered the contest though, so I feel like it would be unfair compared to those who have original entries. Like @pandacular I will follow along in spirit.
According to the original rules:

‘When?: You can start at any time, but your final submissions are due no later than December 31st, 2025.”

I don’t feel it would be unfair - you started the material in the same year as everyone else, with no more or less time or work put in, I say go ahead and join, if you want. I think the spirit of this rule would include pendacular’s 2022 collected tree as well.

Top Bottom