The Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just collected a couple of potential trees about 2 minutes away from my house.

Will see if one or both survive collection before I formalize them as an entry

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge!

Simply said, this challenge is for you to produce bonsai from trees native to around where you live and to pot them up in a container from your country. The idea for this challenge is to push your creativity and allow you to appreciate and learn more about the species (and artists!) around you. Think outside of the box and have fun with it!

When?: You can start at any time, but your final submissions are due no later than December 31st, 2025.

How do I enter?:

- Please indicate in this thread that you plan on participating. When you have acquired your tree(s) you must also start a thread labeled "(5yr Native Tree Challenge) USERNAME's SPECIES" with the tree(s) you plan to work within the challenge.
- You can work with multiple trees, but only one planting can be submitted as your final display at the end of the challenge. Other trees that you finish will be considered Honorable Mentions.
- You must document progress with photos at least yearly. It is highly recommended that you document any major updates (because it's fun to watch).

Native Tree Rules:
1) The tree species you choose must be native (not introduced by man) to your country and within 200 miles of where you live at the time of submission. (Example: someone from New York cannot choose a Coastal Redwood).
2) Starting trees do not have an age limit, but they should ideally be untrained or a new project. We want to avoid someone submitting or buying a bonsai that's been worked on for the past 10 years.
3) There is no requirement for bonsai size or style or planting (if you want to go Mame or forest the more power to you!)
4) Companion plants are 100% not required. But if you want to extend your challenge, the same native rules apply to your plant and its pot.

Native Pot Rules:
1) Finishing the challenge requires potting the bonsai in a pot/container from your country.
2) You are allowed to make your own pot if you are creatively inclined but this is not required!
3) This container does not have to be a traditional bonsai pot shape but should artfully display your bonsai.
4) Completely natural containers (Rock slabs, Woods) can be used if they are sourced locally.

The following is based on questions from members:
- Your Tree does not have to be unique or endemic to your country.
- The offspring of your non-native trees are not allowed.
- Common does not mean native. A quick google search can tell you what their native range is.
- Invasive species should not be used.
- Cultivars of native species are allowed.
- Hybrids of a native species are allowed.
- Cultivars of non-native species that were discovered in your country are not allowed. (Example: Kingsville Boxwood can't be used in Maryland)
- Bonchi is allowed, if native.
Possible to have separate trees with separate threads and more than one entry?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not really! How are others considered "honorable mentions" if not submitted🧐?
I understood it to mean that you can only formally submit one tree, but if you grow several trees for potential submission in 4.5 years, and the judge(s) like one of the trees which you did not select to submit, then that tree could get an honorable mention, even though it isn't eligible to win.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just collected a couple of potential trees about 2 minutes away from my house.

Will see if one or both survive collection before I formalize them as an entry
I dug a couple Hemlocks this spring with the same plan. They are looking really good now so I'll be starting a thread soon. Seems to curse my trees tho... like the kiss of death to post the ones I'm excited about. Maybe I should wait till they survive a winter too:)

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_162921439_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210303_162921439_HDR.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210303_162743888_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210303_162743888_MP.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210310_141149880_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210310_141149880_HDR.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210310_141202332_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210310_141202332_HDR.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 23

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I'm seeing a violation of the spirit of the contest here. Gonna wait until it looks good for survival until you enter it? Boo Hiss. The rest of us put our ass on the line and and published the beginning here with a thread that memorializes the whole thing from day one, so if it fails we get the credit we deserve for killing or making it ugly. Boo Hiss for sissys that only enter easy stuff guaranteed to make them look good.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I believe.. actually in the FIRST “draft” if the rules, there WAS a deadline to enter your “consideration threads”.. but I’m not too sure..

@zanduh ?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
>>>Boo Hiss for sissys that only enter easy stuff guaranteed to make them look good.
shrug... not really a concern how I look here. LOL
I'm in too many contests already anyway

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Forsoothe! were you joking? I thought you were -- Paradox posted a month ago today, and Underdog says he'll be starting a thread soon -- so kidding, right?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Forsoothe! were you joking? I thought you were -- Paradox posted a month ago today, and Underdog says he'll be starting a thread soon -- so kidding, right?
Pictures, not gonna, wanna, coulda, shoulda, maybe! The pictures should be back from developing by now, right?

Last edited:

theguywithcrocs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'm definitely in! I've got a young red maple I dug up a few years ago that I've just started messing with. I've also got some loblolly pines I'm trying out, and I've been contemplating acquiring a dogwood from my neighbor... hmmm decisions, decisions.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe.. actually in the FIRST “draft” if the rules, there WAS a deadline to enter your “consideration threads”.. but I’m not too sure..

@zanduh ?

When?: You can start at any time, but your final submissions are due no later than December 31st, 2025.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...pictures and progressions ARE interesting/fun to see, though... 😀
instructive & informative to newcomers & those not familiar with your species

Top Bottom