The Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge!

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe I'll go through and harass people for updates today if I have time!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do you mean by manage? The admins/moderators keep the site running, so the site manages it for us. We just have to post our results in three and a third years. I don’t think there was ever supposed to be a “winner,” just an online exhibition of everyone’s resulting trees.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What do you mean by manage? The admins/moderators keep the site running, so the site manages it for us. We just have to post our results in three and a third years. I don’t think there was ever supposed to be a “winner,” just an online exhibition of everyone’s resulting trees.

Well, one of the rules was to post yearly updates.

I often see the originator of the challenge or contest go through the entries to ask for updates/whether it is still in the running.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, one of the rules was to post yearly updates.

I often see the originator of the challenge or contest go through the entries to ask for updates/whether it is still in the running.
Interesting rule considering tree can be entered right up to end time of contest🤪.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’d really like to submit a deciduous azalea I’m just starting to work with since late July. I know it’s commonly considered a bit of a fools errand but I’d love to learn what I can to develop bonsai-appropriate deciduous azalea. I’ve seen a few threads on the topic but I think it’d be fun to try. My tree is not 100% untrained having been trimmed this year after purchase at Westin Nurseries in MA in a burlap bag. It’s in rough shape but I’m doing my best with it for now - already been through the gambit of it having scorched some at the nursery and more recently having a lacebug infestation. Hopefully it survives the winter!! 😬

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’d really like to submit a deciduous azalea I’m just starting to work with since late July. I know it’s commonly considered a bit of a fools errand but I’d love to learn what I can to develop bonsai-appropriate deciduous azalea. I’ve seen a few threads on the topic but I think it’d be fun to try. My tree is not 100% untrained having been trimmed this year after purchase at Westin Nurseries in MA in a burlap bag. It’s in rough shape but I’m doing my best with it for now - already been through the gambit of it having scorched some at the nursery and more recently having a lacebug infestation. Hopefully it survives the winter!! 😬I’ll create a thread and can remove it if not appropriate. Also it was repotted as said burlap bag had entirely torn and the plant started rooting itself in the ground. This one will be an adventure if it survives lol.

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Submitting my locus from this spring in the running. Starting thread now. These are the weeds of LI. Not sure if three years is enough but it will give me a goal! View attachment 439494
Nice locust, my Brother in law has 2 he is growing in north shore long island (not for bonsai), you are correct they are everywhere. This one has nice bark development, I am looking forward to seeing the progression, Good Luck!

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3 dogwoods and two maples,
1 dogwood collected less late fall last year , no developing or styling done
2 more dogwoods collected early spring, same
2 maples ( either red or sugar) collected spring, same
All in nursery pots, will post pics soon

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3 dogwoods and two maples,
1 dogwood collected less late fall last year , no developing or styling done
2 more dogwoods collected early spring, same
2 maples ( either red or sugar) collected spring, same
All in nursery pots, will post pics soon
3345E70D-E79F-4D60-BC70-2FFC9856BD34.jpegBEECAF75-19BA-45E7-917C-2853FCD3D1E5.jpeg5A26494A-BD95-4632-BA18-6C4F4F08F9C2.jpeg

Zenpi314

Seed
Reaction score
I would like to jump in as well. Started doing bonsai in January of 2020 (just in time for covid) and planted a lot of seeds from local trees. I will look in my garden tomorrow to see what I would enter. A couple of them I just repotted in bonsai training pots and had to be fairly aggresive on the roots to get them bonsai-ready. Hopefully they will survive. Fingers crossed. BTW, I live in South Florida. Hi everyone, nice to meet you.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A clump planting of trident maples. Started with 7 a year and a half ago. died to 4, all of which grew together. I added one last fall to get them back to five. will take cable ties off in a month or so. View attachment 484246View attachment 484247

Pretty sure those aren't native to Mississippi.

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What are the starting and finishing dates of the Challenge? Is it too late? I have several dozen Japanese Black Pines left over from a grafting project started in 2019 that are still in 4" bulb pans and are starting to decline, I've lost over a dozen and have decided to re-pot even though it is the wrong time of year. I'm not doing any serious root work except for teasing the matted roots on the sides of the pots and increasing pot size to 8", 10" and 12" shallow bulb pans using either 1/4" lava, an inorganic mix, or peat and perlite mix. I'm here in S. Fla in zone 10, about the end of JBP 's growing limit. I will be a vendor at Bonsai Societies of Florida State Convention in Orlando at the Florida Hotel May 26, 27, 28 selling my handmade stoneware bonsai pottery,

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What are the starting and finishing dates of the Challenge? Is it too late? I have several dozen Japanese Black Pines left over from a grafting project started in 2019 that are still in 4" bulb pans and are starting to decline, I've lost over a dozen and have decided to re-pot even though it is the wrong time of year. I'm not doing any serious root work except for teasing the matted roots on the sides of the pots and increasing pot size to 8", 10" and 12" shallow bulb pans using either 1/4" lava, an inorganic mix, or peat and perlite mix. I'm here in S. Fla in zone 10, about the end of JBP 's growing limit. I will be a vendor at Bonsai Societies of Florida State Convention in Orlando at the Florida Hotel May 26, 27, 28 selling my handmade stoneware bonsai pottery,

JBP are not native to the US.

Top Bottom