The Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my town is under 4,000 people and I’ve seen/heard oftwo armed robberies, 3 knife assaults, 1 child trafficking ring taken down, and a pregnant woman get jumped by three people and a baseball bat..and I’ve only lived here7 years.
I hear you.

We had a warning 2 years ago to not leave garage doors standing open overnight. They had reports of people going in looking for stuff to steal.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I hear you.

We had a warning 2 years ago to not leave garage doors standing open overnight. They had reports of people going in looking for stuff to steal.

Holy Moly! Are you guys ok!

🤣🤣

But seriously, that sounds like a wonderful change from my typical local “crime report”. I can’t even read it anymore... too horrifying. Just in the Green Bay through Door County Area... shootings, stabbings, stealing police cars and running them down WITH the stolen police cars.. AND TOOOOONS of burglaries and theft as Meth and Heroin have a strong hold on a decent chunk of the population... (Also a LOT of unmentionable things... involving children 😡)

I can’t cry hard enough.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The whole “sad, but true” thing.. is WHY I have to arm myself... my town is under 4,000 people and I’ve seen/heard oftwo armed robberies, 3 knife assaults, 1 child trafficking ring taken down, and a pregnant woman get jumped by three people and a baseball bat..and I’ve only lived here7 years.. if it’s THIS bad in “the sticks”.. I can’t imagine how bad the larger areas are THESE days.. and I spent some of my “formative growing up years” running around”Detroit like a hooligan.

TERRIBLE current state of affairs. :(

My kids have to live in this world. :(
That sounds like possibly some kind of dystopian nightmare in the more populated areas. That one about the pregnant woman really sickened me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. And lucky too. One day I went to work. Locked the door. On my way home I was not sure where my housedoor keys were. They were in the door when I got home. Can you imagine the trouble I could have gotten into? If someone had taken the keys and dropped them at the police I would not have been able to get back into my house!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

🤣🤣

But seriously, that sounds like a wonderful change from my typical local “crime report”. I can’t even read it anymore... too horrifying. Just in the Green Bay through Door County Area... shootings, stabbings, stealing police cars and running them down WITH the stolen police cars.. AND TOOOOONS of burglaries and theft as Meth and Heroin have a strong hold on a decent chunk of the population... (Also a LOT of unmentionable things... involving children 😡)

I can’t cry hard enough.
I was going to post earlier how thankful I was to live in a tiny town, where nothing much ever happened. Then later today I found out a guy that lived less than a block away overdosed on heroin. 😢

pnwnovice

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am relatively new to bonsai and still have a lot to learn but I figure I'll toss my hat in the ring. Have a few native trees I've collected this year (fingers crossed they survive given the time of year I had to collect them in) that I'd like to train up and enter.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright, I'll step up and serve as the negative example! People DO NOT do what I do to trees: here's why ;)

I've got plans for several species. Some I have now...some will hopefully be delivered later in the fall on into the spring. The lucky 7 are:

ilex decidua
ilex verticillata
physocarpus opulifolius
pinus echinata
quercus muehlenbergii
rhus aromatica
taxodium distichum

There are a few others I may play with but these are the native species I wouldn't mind having in my collection AND wouldn't mind trying to bonsai. Most of my trees are just sticks in bags that have meaning to me...relatively few do I ever consider putting in pots and trying to get to grow in the way I want and not the way they want.

So, we'll see! At least after seeing my attempts, when people say "Don't do that!" they will be able to point to a specific thread where some dufus did exactly that and this is why it doesn't work!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Alright, I'll step up and serve as the negative example! People DO NOT do what I do to trees: here's why ;)
I've got plans for several species. Some I have now...some will hopefully be delivered later in the fall on into the spring. The lucky 7 are:
ilex decidua
ilex verticillata
physocarpus opulifolius
pinus echinata
quercus muehlenbergii
rhus aromatica
taxodium distichum
There are a few others I may play with but these are the native species I wouldn't mind having in my collection AND wouldn't mind trying to bonsai. Most of my trees are just sticks in bags that have meaning to me...relatively few do I ever consider putting in pots and trying to get to grow in the way I want and not the way they want.
So, we'll see! At least after seeing my attempts, when people say "Don't do that!" they will be able to point to a specific thread where some dufus did exactly that and this is why it doesn't work!

What is the mistake? All the species you listed have at least some good potential as bonsai. For the Native Tree, Native Pot Contest, the "native" means at least native to your state, ideally within 200 miles of your home. Not all of your species would be considered native.

Ilex verticillata is not native to Kansas, nearest it comes to Kansas is a small SE corner of adjacent Missouri.

Similarly, bald cypress is not native to Kansas. BC is native to Arkansas and Missouri, but not Kansas.

Ilex decidua is only native to a small SE corner of Kansas, so it does count as native to Kansas, it is probably less than 200 miles from Kansas City. I would definitely call I. decidua native, and qualities for the contest.

Pinus echinata - the shortleaf pine. This is a pine that needs to be explored for its bonsai potential. It could be very good for bonsai. But for the native tree contest, I'm not sure it is native to Kansas. The map on Wikipedia shows it is close, but looks like its range does not extend into State of Kansas. But range maps are not exact. If your Kansas Forestry Service websites call it native to Kansas, I will go along with it. It is listed as native to Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri. So close, but maybe no, maybe yes for Kansas.

So of your 7, only 4 are definitely native to Kansas.
Ilex decidua, Physocarpus opulifolius, Quercus muehlenbergii, & Rhus aromatica are your definite natives.

I would seriously check on the Pinus echinata, as that is a pine that really needs to be explored for bonsai. If you find a refence that says it is native, I'd go along with it and call it native to Kansas. Wikipedia seems to show it is not native to Kansas. Work with it anyway, as it is a really interesting species.

The Taxodium distichum, and Ilex verticillata are definitely not native to Kansas, but they both have a proven track record of being used for bonsai. They are good species for bonsai. You should grow them, just not for the contest.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For the Native Tree, Native Pot Contest, the "native" means at least native to your state, ideally within 200 miles of your home. Not all of your species would be considered native.
Rule 1 says "native (not introduced by man) to your country and within 200 miles of where you live". It doesn't specify that trees must be native to your state. Dingus lives near the state line, so his 200 miles would reach into MO, IA, NB. If the intention is "native to your state" that puts people in the smaller states at a considerable disadvantage.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just read it as.. Should be native to the region where you live at the time of joining to contest. Where region is defined as a 200M radius around your house. Leave out country, state, county etc lines.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ilex verticillata is not native to Kansas, nearest it comes to Kansas is a small SE corner of adjacent Missouri.

First...I live in Missouri, not Kansas. I've updated my location to specify KCM instead of KCK though, as far as climate, geographical location, nearest population center, etc...the two are functionally one. It's just a political boundary.

Second, I don't actually live in Kansas City, MO, but, rather, one of it's suburbs. People recognize Kansas City far more than they recognize my suburb so I list the nearest population center rather than which side of an imaginary line I live on :)

Third, I've already started a thread on those plants:

where I do explicitly state that

"According to my best estimates, the nearest native range of winter berry is approximately 213 miles as the crow flies...so technically just outside of the contest rules by 13 miles. I'm gonna call it good...I'm not winning any prizes with my ameturish efforts ;) "

I honestly only entered it because I can't source decidua except as whips and won't collect one and that, by the end of the contest, I'm very likely to live in a part of Illinois where verticillata is also native so figured it was close enough on this end and firmly within range at the other end so why not.

But, if people want that entry out...no skin off my back. I'm not in need of fake internet points ;)

Similarly, bald cypress is not native to Kansas. BC is native to Arkansas and Missouri, but not Kansas.

Some sources claim the native range follows the Missouri river to within about 100 miles of where I live. Others...in fact most...sources put the nearest native extent at about 250 miles as the crow flies from my house. I had plans for some from seed plants starting in the spring anyway so I was thinking of entering it...but I probably won't now to avoid the fuss.

Of the rest, the most common native range maps indicate their extents are within 50-100 miles of my location. ALL of those species except ilex verticillata are sold by the Missouri Department of Conservation as "native species".

Somewhere in one of these posts I had asked about what "native" really means because some of the species the Department of Conservation sells as "native" are not. The specific example I brought up was osage orange. Osage orange is a defining tree of the region and many consider it "native", but it is not. It was brought west by ranchers. It's "pre-human" native range is limited to parts of Arkansas and Texas and well outside 200 miles :(

But, now that the question has been raised and an entry has been challenged, who are the judges? Who makes the final decision on if the entry fits the rules or not? Do I take down my existing entry because it doesn't quite meet the 200 mile restriction? Should I even bother submitting more entries without getting them cleared first?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should grow them, just not for the contest.

I am not actually growing anything FOR the contest. I am growing a couple of things BECAUSE of the contest.

I created a thread on my ilex verticillata that I am growing BECAUSE of the contest because I felt it met enough of the spirit of the rules to apply and I thought others might be interested. But maybe I'll just let that thread die and avoid further controversy...

Top Bottom