The Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge!

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Can a newbie get a participation medal? I got a couple of sticks in pots from when I was just buying random local trees. So far I have a pinus merkusii, a couple of ficus benjamina veriegata (native to me), a couple of agathis damara, and a couple of eucalyptus deglupta. Currently they're all just growing trunks except the merkusii that I bought for t̶o̶r̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ wiring practice.

20200823_100759.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can a newbie get a participation medal? I got a couple of sticks in pots from when I was just buying random local trees. So far I have a pinus merkusii, a couple of ficus benjamina veriegata (native to me), a couple of agathis damara, and a couple of eucalyptus deglupta. Currently they're all just growing trunks except the merkusii that I bought for t̶o̶r̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ wiring practice.

View attachment 330839
I'm just considering it motivation to learn about and work a tree I haven't before. I like that they aren't called a competition but a challenge. It's not necessarily about beating anyone just challenging yourself to make progress while not getting over aggressive and killing your tree.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok I'm in. As a beginner with a lot of native saplings in my back yard and no large budget, I think participating will give me a solid focus to get started.

Edit: Jluke33's Black Willow. We'll see if I can control the growth on a rooted cutting I took earlier this year!

Last edited:

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am in, south Louisiana has some good choices for this (plant wise anyway, pots may be a trickier story)

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Nope!

Just go out, join in and show the old hands how it is done by taking the grand price!

I will definitely give it a good shot! I am starting from very small sticks, but hopefully I can depend on my climate and long growing season.

Do we have to submit our entries for approval to someone?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In my experience with two attempts, ninebark is very vulnerable to powdery mildew and root fungal infections. There is also a species-specific ninebark borer that can kill a tree in three days.
Thank you! I will “arm” myself with this knowledge.. but I AM American.. so there will also be bullets.

🤣🤣

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The whole “sad, but true” thing.. is WHY I have to arm myself... my town is under 4,000 people and I’ve seen/heard oftwo armed robberies, 3 knife assaults, 1 child trafficking ring taken down, and a pregnant woman get jumped by three people and a baseball bat..and I’ve only lived here7 years.. if it’s THIS bad in “the sticks”.. I can’t imagine how bad the larger areas are THESE days.. and I spent some of my “formative growing up years” running around”Detroit like a hooligan.

TERRIBLE current state of affairs. :(

My kids have to live in this world. :(

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(I feel it’s also worth noting that my county was recently ((in the past five years)) voted the “safest county in Wisconsin”)

Top Bottom